PDA

View Full Version : Michael Smith on NFL coaches

Haiku_Dirtt
08-27-2006, 01:41 AM
I don't dislike Michael David Smith. I may even like his analysis.

In fact before the Vikings game last year he clearly saw and went on the record saying that the Steeler team that beat the Bears in Chicago were for real and were becoming a formidable playoff foe. Feather in his hat.

But http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5896698

"Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has done a very good job developing the Steelers' 3-4 defense, but it's the offensive coaches who get most of the attention."

Very good job!!?? I love Whiz and he is getting attention. And he is the next HC. IMHO.

But LeBeau is iconic. Not just very good. The mere fact that he commands unadultered and unconditional respect from everyone on defense and in particular Joey is the tell tale sign.

Take on the linebackers http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5834838

The rest of the story... http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5857526

Haiku_Dirtt
08-27-2006, 01:47 AM
Follow up

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5819844

Michael Michael Michael.

"The biggest question is whether rookie Orien Harris will be ready to contribute immediately. If he is, he'll take von Oelhoffen's place and the Steelers won't miss a beat."

WTF On that note I'm going to sleep

ibleedburgundy
08-30-2006, 01:34 PM
1. Washington
The best staff Dan Snyder's money can buy, with the highest-paid head coach and the two highest-paid assistants. Al Saunders, hired away from the Chiefs this off-season, first worked with Joe Gibbs at Southern Cal in 1970. The two learned a similar offensive philosophy from Don Coryell when both were assistants to Coryell in San Diego. Saunders spent three mediocre seasons as head coach of the Chargers in the '80s, but since he was fired in '88, he has been one of the league's best assistants, especially in Kansas City, where he ran a Chiefs offense that has been one of the best in the league the last five years.

Saunders' title is associate head coach for offense, and the Redskins also have an assistant head coach for offense (Joe Bugel) and an offensive coordinator (Don Breaux). Saunders will have ultimate responsibility over the offense, but the other two are longtime Joe Gibbs assistants who will continue to play an important role in the offense: Bugel is one of the best offensive line coaches in football history, and Breaux is a former pro quarterback who played a major role in the development of Joe Theismann, Jay Schroeder, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien during Gibbs' first stint in Washington.

Gregg Williams, an old Buddy Ryan disciple, runs an aggressive but detail-oriented scheme that has given the Redskins one of the best defenses in the league the last two years.

You guys didn't even have Gibbs as an option for your best current coaches poll. Huge ommission IMO and the only coach right now that is even in Gibbs's league is Belichick. No offense to Cowher, he's a great coach, but he needs at least one more ring to even enter the discussion with Gibbs.

LarryNJ
08-30-2006, 10:59 PM
You guys didn't even have Gibbs as an option for your best current coaches poll. Huge ommission IMO and the only coach right now that is even in Gibbs's league is Belichick. No offense to Cowher, he's a great coach, but he needs at least one more ring to even enter the discussion with Gibbs.

Are you talking about Joe Gibbs in the 80's or Joe Gibbs today? In the 80's a great coach but he has to prove it all over again. So until he does something with this team don't mention him in the same discussion with Cowher, Shanahan or Belichick.

Livinginthe past
08-31-2006, 01:56 AM
Are you talking about Joe Gibbs in the 80's or Joe Gibbs today? In the 80's a great coach but he has to prove it all over again. So until he does something with this team don't mention him in the same discussion with Cowher, Shanahan or Belichick.

What a ridiculous viewpoint.

Gibbs was a football coach in the 80's and he is one again now - his achievements still stand.

He may not be as successful again this time, but that still puts him streets ahead of Cowher.

I presume you are a Steelers fan?

If so, I shouldnt have to lecture you on the importance of bygone decades.

NM

MattsMe
08-31-2006, 03:10 AM
This forum is taking a turn for the worse.

LarryNJ
08-31-2006, 05:31 AM
What a ridiculous viewpoint.......
He may not be as successful again this time, but that still puts him streets ahead of Cowher.

Speaking of ridiculous viewpoints.

Let's look at what puts Joe Gibbs streets ahead.

Regular Season Playoffs
Joe Gibbs 140-76 17-6

Bill Cowher 141-82-1 12-9

Hardly streets ahead of Cowher. The NFL is total different today than in the 80's so even though Joe Gibbs is certianly deserving of being in the HOF we'll see if he can repeat his magic.

All that being said Dan Snyder did put together a good staff. IMO they are only a QB away from having a very good team.

BlackNGold203
08-31-2006, 06:26 AM
Speaking of ridiculous viewpoints.

Let's look at what puts Joe Gibbs streets ahead.

Regular Season Playoffs
Joe Gibbs 140-76 17-6

Bill Cowher 141-82-1 12-9

Hardly streets ahead of Cowher. The NFL is total different today than in the 80's so even though Joe Gibbs is certianly deserving of being in the HOF we'll see if he can repeat his magic.

All that being said Dan Snyder did put together a good staff. IMO they are only a QB away from having a very good team.

For some reason...Snyder continues to overlook the QB position, and he will not win a championship without one...proving again...that he is an asshat....:cool: :cool:

ibleedburgundy
08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
For some reason...Snyder continues to overlook the QB position, and he will not win a championship without one...proving again...that he is an asshat....:cool: :cool:

That remains to be seen. Jason Campbell has all the tools to become a great NFL QB. We'll see.

Actually, Snyder is not relevant to any personel decision the Redskins make these days. His role consists of: "Yes Mr. Gibbs. Right away Mr. Gibbs. Yes you can use my private jet and spend my $$$ as you please Mr. Gibbs." In other words, there's a new sheriff in Washington and he has three super bowl rings.

ibleedburgundy
08-31-2006, 10:41 AM

Are you kidding? I won't compare Cowher's history to Gibbs's history out of respect for Cowher, because it wouldn't be fair, and it sure as hell wouldn't be close.

Anyway, I think you are underestimating how utterly pathetic the Redskins were when Coach Gibbs came back. He got the team from Steve stinking Spurrier. Our O-line was garbage, our defense was garbage, our special teams was garbage, we had no RB and only one disgruntled WR with a nerver-ending toe injury, no D-line, and the front office was smoking more crack than Marion Berry.

The first Gibbs year back was bad, but there was improvement every week. Last year, Gibbs took the Skins to the playoffs for the first time since 1999 and we won a road game at Tampa. He's turning the franchise around. Even if he quit now we would be waaaay better off for having had him here for two years although he says he intends to honor his five year contract.

BlackNGold203
08-31-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't dislike Michael David Smith. I may even like his analysis.

In fact before the Vikings game last year he clearly saw and went on the record saying that the Steeler team that beat the Bears in Chicago were for real and were becoming a formidable playoff foe. Feather in his hat.

But http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5896698

"Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has done a very good job developing the Steelers' 3-4 defense, but it's the offensive coaches who get most of the attention."

Very good job!!?? I love Whiz and he is getting attention. And he is the next HC. IMHO.

But LeBeau is iconic. Not just very good. The mere fact that he commands unadultered and unconditional respect from everyone on defense and in particular Joey is the tell tale sign.

Take on the linebackers http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5834838

The rest of the story... http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5857526

2. Pittsburgh
8. New England

sounds about right to me.....:cool: :cool:

BlackNGold203
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Follow up

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5819844

Michael Michael Michael.

"The biggest question is whether rookie Orien Harris will be ready to contribute immediately. If he is, he'll take von Oelhoffen's place and the Steelers won't miss a beat."

WTF On that note I'm going to sleep

Oh...yeah...that Keisel guy......:dang: :dang:

Mosca
08-31-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure that the concept of ranking coaches is valid. I think you can say that there are good coaches and bad coaches, but the idea that they can be ranked 1-2-3-4-5 is an attempt to impose rigor where none applies.

Gibbs = great coach. He doesn't have to stand comparison with anyone else, just like Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi don't. Same with any great coach, active or not.

Tom

LarryNJ
09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Are you kidding? I won't compare Cowher's history to Gibbs's history out of respect for Cowher, because it wouldn't be fair, and it sure as hell wouldn't be close.

Anyway, I think you are underestimating how utterly pathetic the Redskins were when Coach Gibbs came back. He got the team from Steve stinking Spurrier. Our O-line was garbage, our defense was garbage, our special teams was garbage, we had no RB and only one disgruntled WR with a nerver-ending toe injury, no D-line, and the front office was smoking more crack than Marion Berry.

Well the number are very close except for the 3-1 SB edge.

That is a good point about how pathetic the Redskins were before Gibbs. I spent all of the 80's in No. Va. so I'm very aware of how good a coach Joe Gibbs was. The reason I'm not sold on it now yet is because back than it wasn't uncommon for him to work from 6:00 am till 2:00 am sleep in his office and do it all over again. I highly doubt he still has that drive or at his age he'd be able to handle that type of schedule. We'll see over the next couple of years.

Marion Barry :busted: :sofunny: I'll never forget the night he got busted. "The bitch set me up" or the times his limo would be pulled over at 3:00 am. Mr. Barry what were you doing out that late? "I'm a night owl" Than he gets re elected!!! :sofunny:

Lyn
09-01-2006, 03:37 PM
This forum is taking a turn for the worse.

I agree he is allowed to say whatever he wishes about BC, the Steeler palers, the Steeler organization and the Steeler fans. I can see discussion, I can even see disagreement but I do not agree at all with personal attacks on our team, coach, organization or the fans in general. There is something with a person or a prcedure to allow this kind of expression.

WV-SteelerFan
09-02-2006, 03:08 AM
If we're considering bygone decades, then let's not forget Belichik's 36-44 record as the Browns head coach. Most (not all) NE fans don't want to take that into consideration, so, why, then, consider Joe Gibbs past achievements (if you're going to think like that)?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/coach?id=2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/coach?id=2) <- just so there's no question as to where I got my numbers...

And before anyone says it, YES I'm a Steeler fan & YES I think Cowher, Belichick & Gibbs are ALL good coaches. They just have different styles, that's not to say one is better than the other...