PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith Poll

SteelCzar76
08-27-2006, 04:04 AM
Well fam,... we all have our reasons for why we think Smith should or shouldn't be named the starter. But,...let's take a vote.
I'll start with a simple and absolute YES,.... he should be named the starter. (My reasoning already stated in other thread's)

Vote's Please ?

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

LambertIsGod58
08-27-2006, 08:05 AM
I definately think Smith should be starting opposite Polamalu....I think down the road, we'll have the best safety duo in the league.

LarryNJ
08-27-2006, 08:24 AM
No.

Not at the beginning of the season. He has alot to learn before he steps in.

clevestinks
08-27-2006, 09:34 AM
??? I`m still not certain. But I will say that he needs to get on the field more often!

4n2t0
08-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Why not? Clark has been caught out of position many times this preseason leading to huge pass plays. The latest being a combined effort by Colclough and Clark allowing a 61 yard TD by the Eagles. Tyrone Carter has played better but is always looking to get up on the line, that's Troy's job and next thing you know he too is out of position. Smith has shown good awareness, physicality, and ball hawking skills.

Put the kid in there, we can't get any better.

slashsteel
08-27-2006, 09:45 AM
You want a rookie to QB the defense ? ? Not a good move............

4n2t0
08-27-2006, 09:47 AM
You want a rookie to QB the defense ? ? Not a good move............

Farrior also calls the play so really it's not that big a deal. He just has to relay the message and make sure everyone gets it.

P.S. With a defense like ours we don't need anymore QB's.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Pittsburghs defense is so complicated that offensive coordinators pull their hair out trying to figure out how to plan against it. It is going to take Smith a little time to completely understand every little nuance of what he needs to do..much less taking into consideration that he needs to understand the other positions to correctly compensate for other players movements... (namely Troy).
I agree that he appears to be a rare talent...but throwing him into a starting posiition right now would leave some of our other players hanging out to dry. I hope they bring him along to completely learn the position and hopefully he's a quick study, ..so we can see that talent and aggression VERY soon in a starting spot .

BlackNGold203
08-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Absolutely not....its preseason..lebeau has no packages in yet...this kid needs time...

He's made a great showing so far..he has a great future.....

Remember Troys rookie year?...he was lost....

Too much on the line this year to take that risk...cant do it...

WV-SteelerFan
08-27-2006, 11:25 AM
??? I`m still not certain. But I will say that he needs to get on the field more often!

:iagree: ...He DOES need to get on the field...

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Troy is an exception and he was lost at first. We have the luxury to let him come along slowly,if he continues to progress he can be slid in at anytime. He doesn't have to start yet!

BigBen2WardPITT
08-27-2006, 12:11 PM
he should get lots of time, if we get a good lead, i want him in on every play, i think he should be in maybe 60/40. 60 percent of hte time ryan clark, 40 percent of the time anthony smith. He has to get real playing time so he can be ready. He's a heck of a player though!

Midnightwriter07
08-27-2006, 12:16 PM
I agree with he should get time in, but not to start at first until he learns everything. Clark and Carter can handle it, but they too know that is only a matter of time until Smith learns the complexities before he is starting. He has looked good and maybe we will see him in on some pass plays early on where he can just play center field.

Dook
08-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Start? No way. Too much risk. Not everyone learns best under fire.

Bring him in when we have a comfortable lead late in the second half, next year he'll get his chance.

19ward86
08-27-2006, 03:20 PM
HE MUST, LOOK AT THE OTHER CANIDATES. RYAN CLARK OR TYRONE CARTER, WE MIGHT AS WELL START MIKE LOGAN OR ME.

4n2t0
08-27-2006, 05:02 PM
HE MUST, LOOK AT THE OTHER CANIDATES. RYAN CLARK OR TYRONE CARTER, WE MIGHT AS WELL START MIKE LOGAN OR ME.

Bingo! Both Clark and Carter have shown me that they are incapable of playing their position.

Prosdo
08-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I say let him be the started eventually, but not right away. Let him have time to learn everything.

Koopa
08-27-2006, 09:50 PM
he be starting next year, just let him learn and play certian downs. he isn't ready to start, just cause he's playing badass against ppl that won't ever make an nfl active roster doesn't mean he'll do good against the likes of carson palmer and others

SteelCzar76
08-27-2006, 09:58 PM
he be starting next year, just let him learn and play certian downs. he isn't ready to start, just cause he's playing badass against ppl that won't ever make an nfl active roster doesn't mean he'll do good against the likes of carson palmer and others

So are you saying that Ryan Clark,....lacking the exactly the same knowledge of our system as Smith,......will be more effective against Palmer, Manning, Marsha and others ?

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

SteelerFanInCA
08-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure if he is ready to start but he will be a starter one day. Man, he must have knocked JR Reed into Pittsburgh. I swear I thought I saw his soul leave his body. Even my 4 year old son said "Dad, that was a pretty hard hit".

HometownGal
08-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Well fam,... we all have our reasons for why we think Smith should or shouldn't be named the starter. But,...let's take a vote.
I'll start with a simple and absolute YES,.... he should be named the starter. (My reasoning already stated in other thread's)

Vote's Please ?

At the start of this repeat season? No. If Clark and Carter can't get the job done? Then yes - give the kid a shot as a starter. As has been mentioned, Smith has a lot to learn yet and why throw him to the wolves right away if the team has other options? Somehow, I really believe that Lebeau will be getting Smith into the game on a regular basis this season. He's been quite impressive. I just think it's a little too early to talk about him being a starter.

ItaliaFem
08-28-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure if he is ready to start but he will be a starter one day. Man, he must have knocked JR Reed into Pittsburgh. I swear I thought I saw his soul leave his body. Even my 4 year old son said "Dad, that was a pretty hard hit".

That hit impressed the hell out of me. Made me alter my opinion of Smith. He defintely needs more field time. But I say put him in the second half with a comfortable lead. I don't know that I am comfortable with him as a starter yet.

I do believe Troy can be to Smith like Stallworth was to Louie Lipps. He speaks about how lucky he was to be under the guidance of Stallworth. I think Troy has that capability to really develop Smith and they can be the strongest safety team in the NFL.

Elvis
08-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Louis Lipps and John Stallworth in the same sentence... man...its been a long time hasnt it?... just shows me how old I really am. I love Smith but I honestly believe he hasnt earned a starting position yet. Give him sometime and dont rush things in unless Clark aint gonna get the job done. Clark is still learnning this Defense as well, lets start someone with that experience that Clark has just see what happens.
God Bless All
Elvis

stlrtruck
08-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I think he needs to get more time. Starting isn't necessary but he could be a good dime package back. I'm sure Dickie LeBeau will work him into the schemes.

Midnightwriter07
08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
yeah Smith will definately be getting in thier in some packages !!

Haiku_Dirtt
08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Absolutely not....its preseason..lebeau has no packages in yet...this kid needs time...

He's made a great showing so far..he has a great future.....

Remember Troys rookie year?...he was lost....

Too much on the line this year to take that risk...cant do it...

Agree. Why shake his confidence in Prime Time on the NFL season opener? I doubt we will even see him play against Miami unless a blow out is in the making or Clark completely melts down.

Clark hasn't been perfect but he has made plays. He knows he needs to be better and I think he will be. Experience outweighs potential next week.

Stlrs4Life
08-28-2006, 04:33 PM
No.

Not at the beginning of the season. He has alot to learn before he steps in.

Same here. No not yet. he is still learning the position.

SteelCzar76
08-28-2006, 06:08 PM
At the start of this repeat season? No. If Clark and Carter can't get the job done? Then yes - give the kid a shot as a starter. As has been mentioned, Smith has a lot to learn yet and why throw him to the wolves right away if the team has other options? Somehow, I really believe that Lebeau will be getting Smith into the game on a regular basis this season. He's been quite impressive. I just think it's a little too early to talk about him being a starter.

(By Great Zeus,... i'm feelin this Woman)
"Trial by Fire",...is often the best. Yes,...usually most people can't handle pressure. But,.... something about this Kid say's he's built different than most. I don't believe that HE (Smith) thinks starting would be a burden.
Does he have a lot to learn of OUR system?,....surely. But so does Clark,.......and with that being the case,......i'd go to war with the guy whom not only has more ability,.....but the Will.
That's all i'm saying BabyGirl. Let's just say i'm a firm believer that sometimes,...just sometimes,...."Scared money, make's nothing". And this could be one of those moment's for this franchise.

4n2t0
08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Cowher has started a rookie FS before and I hope he does it again! Clark and Carter both played like rookies, Smith plays like he's been there all his life. Smith has produced two interceptions, good coverage, and two or three big hits. Can someone tell me what Clark and Carter have done? Giving up large pass plays, being out of position, and missed tackles are what Clark and Carter have accoplished. It's unlikely that Smith starts but I wish he would.

AZ_Steeler
08-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Smith is a stud and should be a starter. I think the sooner he builds chemistry with Troy the better off the Steelers will be in the long run.

Smith has really caught my attention especially when he laid that dude out in the Eagle game!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
No.....but he does show that he could be very effective in our defense....Let him work in on some games and see how he does against first string offenses.....Possible by the end of the yaer he will be a starter......but for now.......hes still learining the defense

Steelersfan4life
08-31-2006, 08:33 PM
I would really like to see him used in about the same way tyrone carter was used last year and insert him as a full time starter in a year or two

i agree though that he and troy could be the best safety tandum in the league

nwksteeler
09-02-2006, 04:15 AM
There is really no need to rush him. We gave Clark a decent contract let the kid learn behind him and cut Ty Carter.