PDA

View Full Version : T.O. Fined for missing team meetings

83-Steelers-43
08-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Owens fined for missing team meetings

02:17 AM CDT on Sunday, August 27, 2006

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Cracks are starting to become more evident in the relationship between Terrell Owens and the Cowboys.

Now, the Cowboys have to ensure those cracks don't create a fissure that can't be repaired.

Terrell Owens, who has missed 19 of 31 practices since the start of training camp with a strained left hamstring, missed a team meeting and a rehabilitation session and was late to an offensive meeting Friday.

"That's our club business. That's going to be accounted for," owner Jerry Jones said at halftime of Saturday's 17-7 win over San Francisco.

Owens was fined $9,500.

When asked if there was any problem between Owens and the club, Jones said, "We're going to be fine."

Several sources said Owens has been fined for being late to multiple rehabilitation sessions.

Owens could not be reached for comment. He did not attend the game, which is not unusual for injured players in the preseason because coach Bill Parcells doesn't like players who aren't playing to be on the sideline.

The strained hamstring Owens suffered during the first week of training camp could create a conflict between Owens and Parcells. Parcells is a stickler for having players practice.

He believes that because football is a game of repetition, players who don't practice can't thrive because they inevitably make mistakes that cost games. Rare is the player on a Parcells team who plays on Sunday after missing practice Wednesday and Thursday, the two heaviest work days during the regular season.

Twice in the last week, Owens has mentioned that he played well in San Francisco the second half of one season without practicing.

Owens, who returned to practice Aug. 16, managed only five practices before saying he aggravated his hamstring because of too many repetitions in practice. Passing game coordinator and receivers coach Todd Haley is responsible for practice repetitions.

"There's no question our best thing to do is get him well," Jones told Ch. 11 after the game. "I want him out there and would've wanted him to make every practice.

"I understand that, and everyone else does, too. He wants to be out there, too. ... I know this: When he's healthy, he's going to help us win these ballgames."

Since the Cowboys signed him in March to a three-year, $25 million deal, including $10 million in signing bonus and salary this year, Owens has talked about learning from his mistakes and being a better teammate.

Philadelphia suspended and deactivated him for the final nine games of last season before releasing him in March. Less than a week later, he signed with Dallas.

Owens has made an effort to fit in. He met the team's chartered flight when it arrived at Point Mugu for training camp, greeting teammates with hugs and handshakes. He also threw a barbecue for teammates on their first off day of training camp.

Owens' combination of size (6-3, 226 pounds) and speed makes him one of the NFL's most gifted players. His attitude and conflicts with teammates in San Francisco and Philadelphia have made him one of the league's most notorious players.

He can be combustible.

But Jones has said he doesn't think a serious problem will develop between Owens and Parcells – two strong-willed men who like confrontation – because they will manage their relationship carefully.

Time will tell if the cracks can be fixed.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

T.O. TIMELINE

Some of Terrell Owens' comings and goings since the start of training camp:

July 26: Drives from Los Angeles to greet team at Naval Air Station Point Mugu

July 28: One of four people named as a witness to a June 10 bar fight in Dallas

July 29: Last player on the field for first practice before a record crowd of 5,500

Aug. 2: Misses first practice with sore hamstring

Aug. 4: MRI conducted on left hamstring

Aug. 5: Misses scrimmage

Aug. 7: Fan accuses T.O. of faking injury while he signs autographs

Aug. 7: Says he's flying three of his own medical professionals and his hyperbaric chamber to help heal him and rules himself out for preseason opener

Aug. 9: Wears a blue Team Discovery cycling jersey and a silver biking helmet on exercise bike, which he's been riding during practice for a week

Aug. 12: Misses preseason opener against Seattle; owner Jerry Jones says Owens needs to learn to practice at 75-80 percent

Aug. 16: Returns to practice

Aug. 19: Ruled out for second preseason game against New Orleans

Aug. 21: Misses New Orleans game

Aug. 22: Says too many practice repetitions aggravated hamstring injury and misses practice

Aug. 25: Misses meeting and is fined

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/082706cpcowto.353f966.html

LambertIsGod58
08-27-2006, 08:25 AM
no surprise here...when are people gonna learn. If you want the type of talent he brings, you'll have to put up with the BS. I'd take T.O. in a heartbeat.

BlackNGold203
08-27-2006, 08:41 AM
No amount of talent is worth that much BS.....

I wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole....:cool: :cool:

83-Steelers-43
08-27-2006, 08:50 AM

Well said.

Why any team would want a complete proven cancer on their roster is beyond me. As I've stated since this deal was made, all in time. It's slowly brewing and it will eventually explode. Just sit back and watch good ol' T.O. destroy another team. It's inevitable.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-27-2006, 09:03 AM
The reason I wouldnt tolerate a talented employee at my place of employment that consistantly spread rumors about their co-workers and bad-mouthed my business to the public ..is the same reason that I woudnt tolerate T.O. on my team......HE MAY DO HIS JOB BETTER THAN MOST, BUT HE CANT DO EVERYONES JOB...Its easier (and more ethical) to get rid of one talented ass-clown, than to have to replace several very good employees.

Lyn
08-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Just my luck, I draft the headcase and now this. I always wondered what the guys out there kocking themselves out for a position, making less money than TO thought of his balony/:dang:

PisnNapalm
08-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh hell no. There is no way I'd ever put T.O. on my team. Out here in Philly we were bombarded with his shiat week after week. He'll rip the Cowboys apart. I can't think of a better team for it though. :oP

BlackNGold203
08-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I feel kinda bad for Parcells....this was all the doing of Jerry Jones....and I can think of no one more deserving of an implosion than him.....:cool: :cool:

Lyn
08-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Oh hell no. There is no way I'd ever put T.O. on my team. Out here in Philly we were bombarded with his shiat week after week. He'll rip the Cowboys apart. I can't think of a better team for it though. :oP

Now that is a very point I failed to see :) He couldn't happen to more despised NFL team

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2006, 11:52 AM
A new case of T.O. Being T.O. If owens can't practice, at least go to meetings unless coaches excuse you.

PisnNapalm
08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
There's no excuse for being late or missing team meetings. It's disrespectful to teh rest of the team and staff.

Lyn
08-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Apparantly TO was brought up in a barn :dang:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Wonder where the token dallas fan is who posts on this board......If I may quote him...

"hmmmmmmmm wrote:
Nothing is gonna happen so quit speculating.....NADA!!!! "Cowgirls Cowgirls...its gonna blow up in Jones face....Cowgirls Cowgirls" Shut up with it........NADA!!!!"

I guess the rest of the world is mistaken and absolutely nothing is going to happen and we should quit speculating......ahhhh will need to pass this along to Owens.

Comments from T.O to The Tuna --- the Star-Telegram

Go watch the film, Big Bill, was their consensus opinion. Or to use T.O.'s exact phraseology from Wednesday: "If he wants to see something, he has 10 years of film."

Lyn
08-27-2006, 01:08 PM
AWWWWWW no the cowgirl fan left?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-27-2006, 01:22 PM
AWWWWWW no the cowgirl fan left?

ahhh yeah it's sad isn't it....I know he's walking around somewhere mumbling to himself "nothing is going to happen, see I told you so, nothing is going to happen"

LambertIsGod58
08-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Apparantly TO was brought up in a barn :dang:

No...actually he was brought up by his grandmother. So, he was brought up in a barn because he doesn't conform to the way you think he should? And I might also remind everyone, we've never heard him in trouble with the law. He is his own man...regardless of all the hate. But, he is the greatest WR in the league. I guess this will happen.

Ambridge
08-27-2006, 02:12 PM
No...actually he was brought up by his grandmother. So, he was brought up in a barn because he doesn't conform to the way you think he should? And I might also remind everyone, we've never heard him in trouble with the law. He is his own man...regardless of all the hate. But, he is the greatest WR in the league. I guess this will happen.

There's no questioning Owens ability when he's on the football field it's just all the extra baggage that he brings along with him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-28-2006, 04:29 AM

You may want to quantify that..To my knowledge he has not been involved in violations of criminal law...but has had his share of being involved in civil law proceedings.

..and being a cancer on a team goes beyond being a lawbreaker....ala Jeff George.

hardwork
08-28-2006, 05:11 AM

If he can't learn how to be his own man and be part of a team at the same time let him try golf or downhill.

clevestinks
08-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Wow that Parcells sure is taking no crap! LOL You wanted him, you can have him

Haiku_Dirtt
08-28-2006, 04:45 PM

Not even a cattle prod? :popcorn:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-28-2006, 10:31 PM
espn reporting that the reason why T.O missed the meeting was....

drum roll please...... he overslept and didn't hear his alarm. :sofunny: even the espn guy gave the old eye roll.

3 to be 4
08-28-2006, 10:42 PM
im sure he'll be a great influence on Terry Glenn.

This is Bill Parcells. He wont allow this to go on. I know. I know, everyone will bring up Lawrence Taylor. Taylor ALWAYS showed up. His off field problems never did in the clubhouse what TO's idiocy does.

Lyn
08-28-2006, 11:53 PM

IMO, his actions are disrespectful which tells me he had no upbringing. There is no reason for anyone to be disrespectful to another.

Remember the good ole days when we did not have to hear about TO LOL even tonight the Bungles/GB halftime they talked about TO. I am TOed out LOL. Must be the majority of ESPN's audience wants to hear about TO because it doesn't seem like ESPN would talk about something the majority of the audience didn't want to hear about so maybe I am in the minority. oh welllllllllllll :rolleyes: :)

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-01-2006, 01:37 AM
Seems T.O (my hamstring is re-injured and I can't practice) had a miraculous recovery he made his way onto the playing field tonight for the Dallas game. This guy is so full of :poop: he's stinkin' up the place. Pathetic just pathetic.

Owens makes Dallas debut against Minnesota Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

IRVING, Texas (Aug. 31, 2006) -- Ten months and a day after his last NFL reception, Terrell Owens had to wait through two series before making his debut with the Dallas Cowboys.

Most importantly to fans of T.O. and the Cowboys, he made it onto the field.

Owens received a standing ovation when he trotted in for Dallas' first drive of the second quarter of their preseason finale against the Minnesota Vikings, with many folks remaining on their feet in anticipation of his first catch. He didn't get it right away as the series ended with Drew Bledsoe throwing an interception on the seventh play.

Let the record show his first reception for the Cowboys was a 6-yard gain on a quick out to the right sideline at the start of the next drive. It was thrown by backup Tony Romo, who before the game received a contract extension through next season. Romo later threw wide of Owens on second-and-goal from the 4.

The drive ended witih a field goal. The Vikings led 3-0 at halftime.

Owens ran hard on several long routes during his two first-half series. He was supposed to get a deep pass from Bledsoe on a first down from the Minnesota 42 -- he appeared open, too -- but linebacker Napoleon Harris flushed Bledsoe out of the pocket.

The mere fact Owens got into the game ends a tumultuous start to his Dallas career.

With a long history of me-first antics preceding his arrival, Owens drew plenty of scrutiny for missing the first three weeks and about 20 practices with a sore hamstring. He certainly didn't help his image by getting fined $9,500 for being late to work last Friday, a mistake he blamed on oversleeping.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took the gamble of signing Owens to a $25 million, three-year deal that included a $5 million bonus and a $5 million salary this season. As eager as he was to finally see his big investment on the field, Jones was more interested in keeping Owens healthy so he can play the opener in Jacksonville a week from Sunday.

"I have no questions about him as a player and the impact he can have on this team, but he's got to be able to play," Jones said before the game. "If he can do that without setting him back any, that would be a big night to me."

Owens played most of the first week of training camp, then hurt his hamstring and missed about two weeks. He came back for several days, then aggravated the injury and blamed coaches for using him too much.

Dallas fans have warmed to Owens, buying his jerseys at a rate that thrills Jones. The response to his entrance was the final proof that they no longer hold a grudge for his stomping on the midfield logo at Texas Stadium twice during a game in 2000 when he was with the San Francisco.

"I can't imagine when he goes in there won't be an anticipation," Jones accurately predicted. "I think it'll be very positive."

Owens was on the sideline without a helmet, standing behind passing game coordinator Todd Haley, for the team's first series. After several plays, he hurried back to the bench and grabbed his helmet, then returned to Haley's side, seemingly waiting to be sent in. However, Dallas punted two plays later.

On the Cowboys' second series, Owens was again looming behind Haley, peering at his play card, again with his helmet elsewhere. His posture suggested he'd be staying on the sideline, too.

Coach Bill Parcells said he wanted Owens suited up even if he wasn't going to play because he needed to learn the team's sideline routine. In fact, during the second drive, strength coach Joe Juraszek -- often Parcells' sideline patrolman -- moved him back a few steps.

Owens' last game was Oct. 30 for the Philadelphia Eagles. He was sent away soon after and wound up signing with Dallas in March, four days after being cut by Philadelphia.

Ambridge
09-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Seems T.O (my hamstring is re-injured and I can't practice) had a miraculous recovery he made his way onto the playing field tonight for the Dallas game. This guy is so full of :poop: he's stinkin' up the place. Pathetic just pathetic.

(In my best Southern Preachers voice)- He's been Healed......Hallelujah!!

Just in time for the start of the regular season T.O. suddenly gets better.
I'm guessing Owens wont get a visit from Mr. Hammy until next training camp.

memphissteelergirl
09-01-2006, 11:42 AM
(In my best Southern Preachers voice)- He's been Healed......Hallelujah!!

:rofl: Oh, that is SO wrong!