PDA

View Full Version : Letang rejects Pens 8 year / $54M offer

Fire Haley
06-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Defenseman Kris Letang has rejected one of the largest contract offers in the Penguins history.

Letang declined an eight-year contract that would have paid him around $54 million (total) late Thursday, sources told the Tribune-Review.

However, his agent, Kent Hughes, stressed Letang remains only interested in playing for the Penguins.

Kunitz kept

Kunitz agreed to a three-year contract that would keep him with the Penguins through the 2016-17 season.

His new deal is for three years at a total of $11.55 million. He will receive a $125,000 annual raise on his current deal, which runs through next season. His salary-cap hit on the new deal is $3.85 million.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4246465-74/penguins-letang-shero?showmobile=false#ixzz2XVxXcrAx

SteelCityMom
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Getting way too greedy now. I doubt Shero gives him 7 mill/year. That's just too much dumped into 3 players. I have a feeling he'll go the same way Staal did.

Fire Haley
06-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Will DePaoli‏@TIOPS_DePaoli14m
Can confirm Letang's agent Kent Hughes countered the Penguins 8 year, $54 million offer, asking for 8 years, $62.5 million/ full NTC

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 12s
Kent Hughes, agent for #Penguins D Kris Letang, confirms sides remain amenable to discussions about extension. First exchange unfruitful.

“Our goal remains to see if there’s a deal that can be worked out,” Hughes told ESPN.com Friday afternoon

NSMaster56
06-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Trade him.

Fire Haley
06-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Pens reportedly want Staal package for Letang

If the Pittsburgh Penguins trade Kris Letang, they want at least one NHL player under term for multiple years, a first-round draft pick and a top prospect, sources told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nhl/188834/pens-reportedly-want-staal-package-for-letang

stb_steeler
06-29-2013, 01:12 PM
He doesnt want to stay in Pitt that bad if hes lookin for more :doh:

Fire Haley
06-29-2013, 03:29 PM
last I heard

Sat. 11:05am et: Pens GM Ray Shero and Kris Letang's agent Kent Hughes slated to meet this afternoon... One last chance to find common ground? - LeBrun

NSMaster56
06-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Pens reportedly want Staal package for Letang

If the Pittsburgh Penguins trade Kris Letang, they want at least one NHL player under term for multiple years, a first-round draft pick and a top prospect, sources told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nhl/188834/pens-reportedly-want-staal-package-for-letang

That would be great.

It worked well the first time.

Find some team desperate enough to overpay a 'star' and get a good haul for an offensive defensman.

Knowing Shero, he can trade the prospect and/or picks for a gritty player (D-man) who can actually help this team win more than regular season games.

SteelCityMom
06-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Seems that they've worked out a compromise of 8 years for 58 mill and an NTC.

It's still yet to be confirmed, some sources have said it's a done deal, some say they are close on agreeing to this. Either way, this seems to be the final offer on the table. I'm sure we'll know for sure within a couple of hours.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-06-30/kris-letang-trade-rumors-pittsburgh-penguins-nhl-draft-2013

Fire Haley
06-30-2013, 01:26 PM
and now trade Niskanen, Glass and Kennedy and that would make my day

Fire Haley
06-30-2013, 02:15 PM
if it happens it happens - I don't worry about the money - we'll lose all the unsigned wingers though

I don't have a problem with young legs on defense either, other teams use rookies, Danny boy will just have to lose his stubbornness and use them

Letang-Despres
Martin-Dumoulin
Bortuzzo-Harrington

Fire Haley
07-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Letang contract NOT finalized yet

even if they had traded him it would cost a min of $5 million a year for a guy to take his place

Pittsburgh Penguins ✔ @penguins#Pens Shero on Letang contract: Still working on it with his agent. We'll get together later tom and try to work thru couple things

Dave Molinari @MolinariPGShero, on status of Letang talks: "We’ll get back at it (Monday) and see if we can close up some gaps here and there."

SteelCityMom
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Framework of the potential deal's length (eight years) and finances ($58 million total) were agreed upon, but there was haggling over Letang's push for a verbal agreement the Penguins will not trade him next summer, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review.

Letang would not receive a full no-movement clause — a concession the Penguins require to pay him more than $7 million annually on a max-level term. Instead, Letang would receive a limited-movement clause, which would free the Penguins to trade him to one of 15 approved clubs at some time during the contract.

Shero proposed two structures for Letang's new contract Saturday. The other was for a four-year deal at $30 million (total), and it would include a full no-movement clause.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4279936-74/letang-penguins-deal?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#ixzz2Xom0qYIf
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

SteelCityMom
07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Meanwhile, nothing is closer with Dupuis. They have till Friday before he can start looking with other teams. I'd rather keep Dupuis and let Cooke walk, personally.

NEWARK, N.J. — Pascal Dupuis has not ruled out re-signing with the Penguins.
However, negotiations between his agent, Allan Walsh, and Penguins general manager Ray Shero — though ongoing — have not moved the sides close to a new contract.
Dupuis, a top-line right winger for center Sidney Crosby, is one of seven Penguins players set to become unrestricted free agents Friday. Those players can begin interviewing with other clubs Wednesday.
Walsh and Shero met in person several times during the NHL Entry Draft weekend, including at Prudential Center on Sunday.
Shero said Dupuis is “a player I'd like to keep.” He added that possible deals with any of the impending free agents would not be impacted by attempts to sign defenseman Kris Letang to a long-term contract or the recent agreement with left winger Chris Kunitz.
Montreal is a strong contender to land Dupuis if he leaves the Penguins. Coach Michel Therrien is a fan of Dupuis dating to their days together with the Penguins.
The Canadiens have Dupuis high on their list of free-agent targets. Dupuis is French Canadian.
• Winger Craig Adams remains the Penguins' other top target to prevent from testing the market. Adams' agent, Neil Sheehy, said he believed a deal with the Penguins was likely before Friday.
• Talks with left winger Matt Cooke have not broken off, but the Penguins do not believe they can keep Cooke and Dupuis.
The club views forward Jussi Jokinen, acquired at the trade deadline, as a possible replacement for either Cooke or Dupuis. Cooke has been a staple as a third left winger since signing with the Penguins in July 2008. Cooke and Dupuis each are seeking deals at least three years in length.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4280155-74/dupuis-penguins-cooke?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#ixzz2XomICfCe

Fire Haley
07-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Penguins’ deal with Letang held up; team won’t guarantee he won’t be traded next summer

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4279936-74/letang-penguins-million#axzz2XoXUbFn6

more drama - first it was Parisewatch, then Iginlawatch........now Tangergate..... fun times

SteelCityMom
07-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Penguins’ deal with Letang held up; team won’t guarantee he won’t be traded next summer

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4279936-74/letang-penguins-million#axzz2XoXUbFn6

more drama - first it was Parisewatch, then Iginlawatch........now Tangergate..... fun times

Do you even read the links I post. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
I only want sexy bold headlines and one line quotes

just like the twitter generation

SteelCityMom
07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Excuses, excuses.

Lokki
07-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Do you even read the links I post. :chuckle:

hah He's done that to me too..

Fire Haley
07-02-2013, 12:11 PM
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh you poor babies!

SteelCityMom
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Says the guy who whines when people don't read his links or kiss his ass. :flap:

Oh no...did we derail your thread? :sofunny:

SteelCityMom
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Anyway...

This has got to end, hopefully today. At this point it's just hurting the team because we have so many players who are going to be UFA's on Friday.

Shit or get off the pot Letang!

Three of the Penguins' impending free agents comprise the core of the team's penalty-killing unit. That group, which underachieved in the regular season but thrived in the playoffs, could have a different look next season.
Dupuis, Cooke and Adams are arguably the team's three best penalty killers. All could be gone in a matter of days, should Shero be unable to sign them.
Center Jordan Staal, who once joined the three free agents in coach Dan Bylsma's top four penalty-killing look, was traded last summer.
The Penguins still are involved in negotiations with Dupuis' agent, Allan Walsh. Although no deal has been reached — and Dupuis possibly could make more money on the open market — Walsh and Shero continued speaking Monday.
Shero also will be speaking with Adams' agent, Neil Sheehy, in the next few days.
Although Shero and Sheehy did not speak Monday, the agent expects talks to resume later this week. The Penguins would like to bring Adams back to play in the fourth-line role that has been his since he was claimed off waivers from Chicago in 2009.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4280206-74/penguins-letang-shero?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#ixzz2XuzpKWiO

Fire Haley
07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
tick tick tick

and yes - my posts are so incredibly above average that they are the only ones you should be reading

that's why Tony pays me to post here

JonM229
07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
and yes - my posts are so incredibly above average that they are the only ones you should be reading

Truth-o-Meter says...

https://blogs.lt.vt.edu/expeditionleadership/files/2013/04/pants-on-fire.jpg

Lokki
07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh you poor babies!

Oh I could not care less about getting credit for posting a link. I was just backing her up on it. :noidea:

Lokki
07-02-2013, 01:51 PM
tick tick tick

Killer in action..

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1623539456/hB4C99DFF/

Fire Haley
07-02-2013, 02:04 PM
speaking of kids

how old is our new goalie?

12?

http://www.wbspenguins.com/images/uploads/Jarry.jpg

Lokki
07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
speaking of kids

how old is our new goalie?

12?

I don't care how old he is, as long as he can stop a puck.

Fire Haley
07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh no...did we derail your thread? :sofunny:

I just noticed your membership number ends with 666

it's a sign

SteelCityMom
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Finally!

Penguins Agree to Terms with Defenseman Kris Letang on Eight-Year, $58 Million Contract Extension

The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with defenseman Kris Letang on an eight-year, $58 million contract extension, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The deal begins with the 2014-15 season and runs through the 2021-22 campaign, and has an average annual value of $7.25 million.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676209

Fire Haley
07-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Letang signs ....he'd been stupid not to

now what?

Fire Haley
07-02-2013, 07:19 PM
bring up all the Baby Pens?

DO IT!

Bylsma will have a shit-fit!

Fire Haley
07-03-2013, 10:59 AM

I don't care how old he is, as long as he can stop a puck.

good point

meanwhile

we have tons of young defensive prospects - time to use them, I say

"Pouliot is mobile offensive defenseman with good passing skills, vision, and an accurate shot. He also possesses vision and on-ice awareness that is through the roof. Not a particularly imposing physical presence on the blue line, Pouliot needs to add considerable strength to his relatively lean frame. He also needs to improve his explosiveness, particularly in his first step, and learn when to make the simpler plays."

sounds a lot like Letang when he first came up.....bring on the baby Pens!

and we have our core locked up for years

Kunitz/Crosby/Dupuis together forever - I guess that's not a bad thing

still got money left - next either deal Jokinen or let Cooke leave.

SteelCityMom
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Jokinen signed a 2 year contract, so he's good till next year (when they'll let him walk). They'll sign Adams and let Cooke, Iggy, Morrow, and Murray pound sand. They may sign Eaton, but who knows. Isn't really going to be any room after that. Pens are sitting on just over 4 mill in cap space right now.

Fire Haley
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
They'll sign Adams and let Cooke, Iggy, Morrow, and Murray pound sand. .

I don't know why everyone wants to get rid of Cooke - he had his best play in the playoffs, in fact he was one of the few that showed up at all against boston

SteelCityMom
07-03-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't want to get rid of Cooke...I just think there's a strong possibility of him being a cap casualty. Adams is too important on the PK, IMO, and takes far fewer penalties. Could probably switch Eaton with Cooke though...one of them will be gone.

stb_steeler
07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I don't know why everyone wants to get rid of Cooke - he had his best play in the playoffs, in fact he was one of the few that showed up at all against boston

Lets not forget all those hat tricks

SteelCityMom
07-03-2013, 05:22 PM
It sounds like the Pens are going to try and keep Cooke over Eaton...which I'm ok with. We'll see in the next day or so.

As of 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, Shero was able to start negotiating — though not finalizing — deals with other clubs' players set to become free agents Friday.
“The way I see this happening is we're waiting to hear back on our guys, and one phone call from them could change things in a different direction,” Shero said.
Shero has presented contract proposals left winger Matt Cooke and forward Craig Adams, though he declined to divulge terms of the Penguins' offers.
Each of those players can meet and/or speak with interested clubs for the next two days.

• The Penguins have not held negotiations with wingers Jarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow or defensemen Douglas Murray and Mark Eaton.
• Players tendered qualifying offers before Tuesday's deadline were forward Dustin Jeffrey, defenseman Robert Bortuzzo and winger Harry Zolnierczyk. Also, these prospects: goalie Eric Hartzell and forwards Paul Thompson, Brian Gibbons, Zach Sill and Riley Holzapfel.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4296060-74/players-shero-winger?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#ixzz2Y21Yw5Jk

Fire Haley
07-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Lets not forget all those hat tricks

that's stupid

Cooke is the only one on the team with any balls if you ask me

stb_steeler
07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
that's stupid

No shit.....

Fire Haley
07-03-2013, 07:03 PM
meanwhile Crosby, Malkin and Letang are locked up for the rest of their careers as Pens, I don't see how that's a bad thing

I'd rather see Bennett on Crosby's line with Dupuis, but he'll probably end up with Malkin and Neal.

I'd like to see Despres and Letang paired up now too.

SteelCityMom
07-03-2013, 08:03 PM
meanwhile Crosby, Malkin and Letang are locked up for the rest of their careers as Pens, I don't see how that's a bad thing

I'd rather see Bennett on Crosby's line with Dupuis, but he'll probably end up with Malkin and Neal.

I'd like to see Despres and Letang paired up now too.

Since Kunitz was signed as well, they'll never break up that line...and with good reason.

SteelCityMom
07-03-2013, 08:04 PM
that's stupid

He's also the only one with multiple suspensions.

I love Cooke...think he's a great player, but be realistic. Shero isn't in it for fantasy points.

Fire Haley
07-04-2013, 09:15 AM
....and this is why long term deals with goalies are scary

The New York Islanders' buyout of goalie Rick DiPietro became official Wednesday.

The Islanders will pay DiPietro $1.5 million per season for the next 16 seasons as a result of the move but won't have to deal with his cap hit, injuries or the looming shadow of his massive contract anymore

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nhl/189233/isles-buyout-of-rick-dipietro-now-official

Fire Haley
07-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Will DePaoli@TIOPS_DePaoli
League source confirms Penguins had contact with Scuderi camp yesterday. Team will have to get creative tho.

SteelCityMom
07-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah, that would be a little tricky. Would definitely mean both Cooke and Eaton gone.

I would LOVE to have Scuds back though. I think I'd be willing to lose Cooke for him if Shero can figure something out.

SteelCityMom
07-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Do you think the Pens will buy out any contracts? And if so, who should it be?

*Edit* Nevermind, I see from the NHL buyout tracker that it ends today at 5pm, so I doubt we'll see that happen this year anyway.

Fire Haley
07-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Scuderi went for the money when he left the Pens the first time, I don't think he's any different now - no hometown discount

but it would be nice to have some more grit, he's a batteler on the boards - and you know how Bylsma loves his old vets, getting him to give ice time to any young talent is like pulling teeth

so

i'd still rather see Despres in the top 4 on defense

Fire Haley
07-05-2013, 10:55 AM
ready for Free agent frenzy?

Canadiens agree to terms on two-year, $8M deal with Briere

Bruins trade Seguin, Peverley to Stars for Eriksson

SteelCityMom
07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Yup, saw that yesterday...Flyers picked up Lecavalier as well as Streit.

Fire Haley
07-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 13s-Rob Scuderi is very likely Pittsburgh-bound but deal not done yet

Fire Haley
07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
BREAKING NEWS: The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed defenseman Rob Scuderi to a four-year contract

https://twitter.com/penguins/statuses/353195807169712128

SteelCityMom
07-05-2013, 01:20 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

The deal runs through the 2016-17 campaign, and has an average annual value of $3.375 million.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676693&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

That'll mean Cooke will not get resigned, but I'm cool with that. Adams deal will be tough after this unless there's a trade to make cap room.

SteelCityMom
07-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Whoa...Alfie just signed with Detroit.

Horton to Columbus.

Komisarek to Carolina.

Fire Haley
07-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Scuderi was in the top 5 of all available free agents- in fact he was the only D man in the top 10 free agents and the #1 defensive guy to get

we got a steal

Clarkson to the Leafs - that's big for them

SteelCityMom
07-05-2013, 04:04 PM
HUGE trade...Bobby Ryan to the Sens.

Filppula to Tampa.

Clarkson to the Leafs is indeed big, but they overpaid if you ask me. They signed Bozak for 5 years and 21 mill. Classic Leafs move lol.

Fire Haley
07-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Wings get Alfredsson - that will make our new division tougher.

Leafs got stronger too. Not sure why Horton would leave the Bruins for Columbus.

oh well, I'm surprised the Pens were able to sign any FA's at all, let alone the #1 defenseman available in Scuderi

huge contracts to Malkin and Letang. Kunitz and Dupuis locked up.

Pens now have less than $500,000 - they are spent

SteelCityMom
07-05-2013, 05:09 PM
The Penguins are firmly against the cap, set for $64.3 million next season but projected to increase in following years. Shero has committed to 20 players at about $63.55 million for the 2013-14 season, not counting new contracts for restricted free agents such as defenseman Robert Bortuzzo and forwards Dustin Jeffrey and Harry Zolnierczyk.

Six defensemen on NHL contracts will take up $18.47 million in cap space for next season.
NHL clubs are allowed to go over the cap by 10 percent during the offseason, though they must be cap-compliant when rosters are set to start the regular season.

Shero has not ruled out trades to gain more space, especially if he surpasses the cap to sign replacements for wingers Matt Cooke and Craig Adams, two of six Penguins players who hit the open market at noon Friday.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4297898-74/scuderi-penguins-defenseman?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Peng uins+Stories%29#ixzz2YAkER0qx

SteelCityMom
07-05-2013, 05:20 PM
The Pens FB page is funny right now... I don't think most of our fans understand what a cap limit is lol. So many people crying about how Iggy, Morrow and Murray aren't ALL getting signed.

Fire Haley
07-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

Craig Adams and Pittsburgh Penguins agree to 2 year deal at 700K per. #TSN

SteelCityMom
07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Iggy to Boston in a 1 year deal @ 6 mill. All after they traded Seguin and Horton to make cap space for Rask. LMFAO@ Boston. Iggy is the ultimate troll. :chuckle:

Cooke to Minnesota for 3 years and 7.5 mill. Glad he went there and not to Philly. Good luck to him and the Wild.

I'm happy about the Adams signing...that's a very fair price for him. My guess is Niskanen is going to be traded to fill Cooke's spot.

Fire Haley
07-06-2013, 12:04 AM
this Iginla signing sucks...and it's for $1.8M next year - with lots of bonuses

I see the Pens about in 4th place in the new divisions

Bruins
Redwings
Leafs
Pens

SteelCityMom
07-06-2013, 12:24 AM
this Iginla signing sucks...and it's for $1.8M next year - with lots of bonuses

I see the Pens about in 4th place in the new divisions

Bruins
Redwings
Leafs
Pens

It still counts for 6 mill against the cap.

Iginla's base salary is $1.8 million and the contract carries incentives of $4.2 million for an annual salary-cap figure of $6 million.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=676945&navid=nhl:topheads

Nearly 44 million in their forwards with 3 UFA's....yikes.

http://capgeek.com/bruins/

Leafs.... :rofl:

Fire Haley
07-06-2013, 12:36 AM
It still counts for 6 mill against the cap

that's wrong, not all at once

Iginla's contract is cap-friendly for the Bruins, counting just $1.8 million in 2013-14.

If he achieves any or all of the $4.2 million in performance bonuses, that money counts in 2014-15

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427068

SteelCityMom
07-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Gotcha, was just going to ask if that was the case because someone had mentioned it in the comments. Plus someone else mentioned Savard being on LTI, so they have that cap space as well.

Well, good deal for Boston then, but Pens still wouldn't have been able to work that (too much for next year).

I'm still not scared of the Leafs, or the Wings even with Alfie. Pens are still stacked.

SteelCityMom
07-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Islanders could be pretty scary if they played their cards right...but they'll fuck it up just like the Leafs and Sabres will.

Fire Haley
07-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Gotcha

I'm still not scared of the Leafs, or the Wings even with Alfie. Pens are still stacked.

I think we're gonna be soff

who knows if Fleury will ever be the same - he mighta cracked

SteelCityMom
07-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I'm not worried about that either...we still have Vokoun. I actually wish they would just trade Fleury and bring Theissan down to play a season behind Vokoun.

Fire Haley
07-06-2013, 01:04 AM
and I meant 4th best team in the eastern conference - 4th best team could still have us winning our division

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/765/189/dsafsdfdsfsdfadsfsdfs_original.jpg?1363291327