PDA

View Full Version : Article Americans hate their jobs, even with perks

Atlanta Dan
06-30-2013, 08:43 AM
USA Today passes along these happy thoughts as another workweek beckons

Americans hate their jobs, even with perks

If you hate your job, you're not alone. But having in-office access to catered meals, a pingpong table or free massages may not make you any happier at work.

Just 30% of employees are engaged and inspired at work, according to Gallup's 2013 State of the American Workplace Report, which surveyed more than 150,000 full- and part-time workers during 2012. That's up from 28% in 2010. The rest … not so much. A little more than half of workers (52%) have a perpetual case of the Mondays — they're present, but not particularly excited about their job.

The remaining 18% are actively disengaged or, as Gallup CEO Jim Clifton put it in the report, "roam the halls spreading discontent.":chuckle:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/30/americans-hate-jobs-office-perks/2457089/

Homer Simpson already knew this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbI-P6mFbg

teegre
06-30-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm one of the lucky few who likes my job.

Atlanta Dan
06-30-2013, 09:17 AM

Yep - I am just passing along the story

Fact is with the recession a lot of deserving folks are unemployed or underemployed in jobs from which they cannot move on

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 09:23 AM
i enjoy my job as well. There are times I get frustrated, but overall it's something I have fun doing for various reasons.

teegre
06-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Yep - I am just passing along the story

Fact is with the recession a lot of deserving folks are unemployed or underemployed in jobs from which they cannot move on

That's one of the strongest attributes of my career: job security. I am in minimal fear of ever bring laid off. It's my job... until I retire.

The only "problem": my commute. I used to live eight minutes away. But, four years ago, I moved to the community where my wife lives, because I didn't want to relocate her daughter (my step-daughter) until she finishes high school. Thus, I commute three hours per day... (but, only for three more years).

Atlanta Dan
06-30-2013, 10:02 AM
That's one of the strongest attributes of my career: job security. I am in minimal fear of ever bring laid off. It's my job... until I retire. .

Job security is great if you can get it. My guess is these workers may not be brimming with enthusiasm for their current employment status

The 4 A.M. Army

Every morning, hundreds of thousands of workers show up for jobs that are unseen, uncertain and underpaid—and vital to the U.S. economy

It’s 4:18 a.m., and the strip mall in Hanover Park, Ill., is deserted. But tucked in back, next to a closed-down video store, an employment agency is already filling up. Rosa Ramirez enters, as she has done nearly every morning for the past six months. She signs in, sits down in one of the 100 or so blue plastic chairs that fill the office, and waits. Over the next three hours, dispatchers will bark out the names of those who will work today....

Outsourcing to temp agencies has cut deep into the U.S. job market: 1 in 5 manual laborers who move and pack merchandise is now a temp, as is 1 in 6 team assemblers, who often work at auto plants. This system insulates companies from workers’-­compensation claims, unemployment taxes, union drives and the duty to ensure that their workers are legal immigrants. Meanwhile, the temps suffer high injury rates, and ­many of them endure hours of unpaid waiting and face fees that depress their pay below the minimum wage. Many get by renting rooms in run-down houses, eating dinners of beans and potatoes and surviving on food banks and taxpayer-funded health care. They almost never get benefits and have little opportunity for advancement.

http://nation.time.com/2013/06/27/the-4-am-army/

OTOH it is better then ever to be the king

According to an updated analysis, the top 200 chief executives at public companies with at least $1 billion in revenue actually got a big raise last year, over all. The research, conducted for Sunday Business by Equilar Inc., the executive compensation analysis firm, found that the median 2012 pay package came in at $15.1 million — a leap of 16 percent from 2011.

So much for the idea that shareholders were finally getting through to corporate boards on the topic of reining in pay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/business/an-unstoppable-climb-in-ceo-pay.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&ref=business

pczach
06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Work is a means to an end for most people. It's a necessary evil to be able to enjoy life when you're not working. It is also the vehicle for improving quality of life for yourselves and your families. Unless we go all Star Trek and eliminate the need for economics and the quest to accumulate wealth, the ability to earn money will ultimately drive the way we live our lives and decide what kinds of lifestyles we are able to live and provide for our families.

steelax04
06-30-2013, 11:28 AM
It's because them there gays can get married now.

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 11:48 AM
I don't think I'd be able to stand a long commute, but job security is nice. And one of the most important things to me is liking the people I work with. I also get to be outside a lot and that makes it pretty swell too.

WVABE
06-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Which americans are we talking about the ones that sit in cubicals all day or the ones working?

Atlanta Dan
06-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Which americans are we talking about the ones that sit in cubicals all day or the ones working?

Based on your apparent definition of "the ones working" it appears those employees are least engaged - employment engagement is lowest for jobs in manufacturing, service industries, and transportation.

The generations at the beginning and approaching the end of their careers tend to be more engaged than those in the middle of their careers, according to Gallup’s research.

•• Millennials are most likely of all generations to say they will leave their jobs in the next 12 months if the job market improves
•• Women have slightly higher overall engagement than men.

•• Employees with a college degree are not as likely as those with less education to report having a positive, engaging workplace experience...

Although engagement has remained flat overall in the U.S., Gallup researchers found slight variation in engagement among workers state by state. Louisiana leads the country with the highest percentage of engaged workers, at 37%, followed closely by Oklahoma at 36%. South Dakota, Georgia, Arkansas, and South Carolina each have 34% of engaged workers. Thirty-three percent of workers are engaged in Texas, Nevada, Wyoming, Alabama, North Dakota, and Florida. At the far end of the range is Minnesota, which has the lowest number of engaged workers, at 26%.

Gallup found that at the opposite end of the engagement spectrum, more than one in five (21%) workers in Rhode Island are actively disengaged, as are 20% of employees in New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, Vermont, Kentucky, and Illinois. When looking at the range of actively disengaged employees, Idaho had the lowest percentage of this type of worker, at 14%....

Gallup also finds professional workers at the higher end of the employee engagement spectrum, possibly because these jobs are more likely to reflect workers’ talents and interests. Healthcare professionals are slightly more engaged than other professionals. Notably, far fewer physicians are actively disengaged than any other category of workers. Teachers’ engagement levels are similar to those of other professional workers. Overall, professional workers saw a modest two-point increase in engagement levels from 2009 to 2012.

Employees in manufacturing or production are the least engaged, possibly because the traditional management mentality in these industries tends to put process ahead of people. Still, engagement among employees in this industry increased by six points since 2009. Workplace engagement is similarly low for transportation workers, but with a four-point increase over the past three years.

In contrast to the strong gains made by managers and executives, service workers — a category including mostly customer-facing jobs — saw the only drop in engagement levels, down by three points from 32% in 2009 to 29% in 2012. Flat consumer spending since 2008 has likely reduced growth opportunities in this industry, and some may be working in this sector out of necessity rather than choice, unable to maximize their talents and qualifications in a tight job market.

https://scripps-cms.endplay.com/documents/10933/0/2013+State+of+the+American+Workplace/28e1a724-7b33-4dac-bd25-49f667983fbf

Vis
06-30-2013, 07:05 PM
I love my job but I can't stand my hobby

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 07:06 PM

what's your hobby?

Vis
06-30-2013, 07:08 PM
what's your hobby?

Sewer maintenance

fer522
06-30-2013, 07:09 PM
what's your hobby?

Piss killer and that pats guy off :chuckle:

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Sewer maintenance

meet any interesting people doing that?

Actually, at our house there's a spot were the outhouse use to be between 50 and 100 years ago. I'd like to dig that up and see if I can find anything.

JonM229
I hate my job, I like what I do (network administration and security) but the owner of the company I work for acts like a spoiled child and has deep-seeded anger issues.

Atlanta Dan

You are consistent with your fellow South Carolina citizens and those of us in Georgia being more engaged than average:chuckle:

OTOH there apparently are a lot of unhappy campers in Pennsylvania:noidea:

fer522
06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I hate my job, I like what I do (network administration and security) but the owner of the company I work for acts like a spoiled child and has deep-seeded anger issues.

You want me to kick his ass?

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
You want me to kick his ass?

i've probably already kicked his ass.

Atlanta Dan
06-30-2013, 07:16 PM

The actual study I looked up after reading the USA Hooray article in order to respond to the question from WVABE has some good insights on how a lousy manager can screw up a good job for those stuck working for that manager

Whom companies name as manager is one of the most important decisions they make given that managers play a critical role in driving engagement in any organization. Whether hiring from the outside or promoting from within, organizations that scientifically select managers for the unique talents it takes to effectively manage people greatly increase the odds of employee engagement. Instead of using management jobs as promotional prizes for all career paths, companies should treat them as unique roles with distinct functional demands that require a specific talent set. The reality is that many people who are the best performers in their current roles do not have the talents necessary to effectively manage people.:thumbsup:

https://scripps-cms.endplay.com/docu...5-49f667983fbf

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 07:19 PM
people usually advance to their level of incompetency. they do good at one job, so they get promoted. they keep getting promoted until they get a job they can't do well. then they're stuck in that job making everybody below them miserable.

EDIT: present company excluded of course

Vis
06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
That's why I picked a job with no promotions.

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 07:31 PM
That's why I picked a job with no promotions.

what's your job?

Vis
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
what's your job?

Attorney

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Attorney

what do you call a lawyer with an IQ under 80?

Vis
06-30-2013, 07:37 PM
what do you call a lawyer with an IQ under 80?

Chief Justice

harrison'samonster
06-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Chief Justice

i was gonna say "your honor" but that's a good one!

EDIT: present company exlcuded

pczach
07-01-2013, 06:57 AM
I hate my job as a professional football player so much, I hang out with lowlifes, ride around with drug dealers and guns, I occasionally shoot people in the face, and I sometimes kill friends execution style using elaborate schemes involving rental cars.

Aaron Hernandez

ricardisimo
07-01-2013, 07:23 AM
I love my job. SteelersFever pays me buckets of money just to be disengaged or roam these boards spreading discontent. And I get free deep tissue Thai massages every week from MACH and SCMom.
:thumbsup:

Vis
07-01-2013, 07:24 AM
I love my job. SteelersFever pays me buckets of money just to be disengaged or roam these boards spreading discontent. And I get free deep tissue Thai massages every week from MACH and SCMom.

They work in tandom? SC up top?

ricardisimo
07-01-2013, 07:26 AM
They work in tandom? SC up top?
We use Mom as a buffer... MACH's hands are too strong and his elbows too pointy.

Atlanta Dan
07-01-2013, 08:11 AM

I am dumping my agent - you negotiated a superior contract with SFF

pczach
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM

So you got that going for ya.....which is nice!

:chuckle:

SteelCityMom
07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Mach also gives the best happy endings.

SteelerEmpire
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
I used to be ok with working for someone, but I grew out of it. Working for yourself is the only way to go. I realized that if I could work that hard for someone else, I could work that hard for myself. You could not pay me enough money to punch into a 9-5 again. For me it's a fate worse than death.

Buddha Bus
07-01-2013, 05:43 PM

Is there any way to take a "Thank You" away from someone here? Mods?

teegre
07-01-2013, 07:31 PM

:noidea:

Fire Haley
07-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Piss killer and that pats guy off :chuckle:

hahahahah

you can't piss me off, I'm too busy laughing at the herd

I've got them so trained that everytime I write something they all go...

......baaaaaaaaaaaa!

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

fer522
07-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Mach!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLxGOLaM5dQ

pczach
07-01-2013, 08:20 PM

I hear he gets you there as fast as the speed of sound......

pczach
07-01-2013, 08:26 PM

Yeah, that kinda makes me want to slap him around a little....

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs2CUj68ACGqboYQA48djUr5DEm23e9 BYtFCDR7SCe5TLvMUJglw

MACH1
07-01-2013, 08:35 PM
I need to give myself a happy ending. Just finished paying taxes. :mad:

pczach
07-01-2013, 08:43 PM

That can spoil your day right there.

What's the matter Mach, not willing to pay your "fair share"? You should be happy to pay your taxes. There are millions of people that can't wait to get their hands on your money.

:shake01:

MACH1
07-01-2013, 09:03 PM
That can spoil your day right there.

What's the matter Mach, not willing to pay your "fair share"? You should be happy to pay your taxes. There are millions of people that can't wait to get their hands on your money.

:shake01:

yep an evil greedy business owner.

ricardisimo
07-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Ah, yes... the money shot.

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2013, 03:12 AM
it should lift your spirits to know that obama pledged 7 billion dollars to africa ...:thumbsup:
your tax dollars are being well spent !!!.................on the other side of the world. :doh:

http://www.didntyouhear.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/africaniphone.jpg

this dude got an obama phone !!! :thumbsup:

Buddha Bus
07-02-2013, 04:46 AM
hahahahah

you can't piss me off, I'm too busy laughing at the herd

I've got them so trained that everytime I write something they all go...

......baaaaaaaaaaaa!

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Like when you whine about everybody "garbaging up your threads" and yell at them to shut up? Sounds like you're having a real chuckle-fest then. You sound more like a grumpy grandpa screaming at kids to get off his lawn. :rofl:

There's laughter alright. It just isn't coming from you, Lone Wolf. http://wolfsongz.webs.com/howling%20wolf%20animation.gif