PDA

View Full Version : Patriots CB Alfonzo Dennard popped for DUI

Galax Steeler
07-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Former Nebraska football player Alfonzo Dennard could go to jail for violating his probation if he’s convicted of drunken driving.

Dennard, 23, was arrested early Thursday in Lincoln.

Police Capt. Jason Stille said officers spotted a westbound Honda Accord sedan straddling the lane line on Normal Boulevard between 50th and 56th Streets about 2 a.m.

Dennard was alone in the vehicle.

The sergeant who stopped him noticed a strong odor of alcohol and noted that he showed signs of impairment, according to the police report.

A field sobriety test was administered, and Dennard was taken to Cornhusker Place, a licensed substance abuse center, for a breath test. But he refused to submit to the test, according to the report.

He was arrested on suspicion of DUI, refusing a chemical test and a driving infraction. He is scheduled to appear in court Aug. 12.

Dennard is a defensive back for the New England Patriots. A Patriots spokesman said he didn’t know why Dennard was in Lincoln, but the team has been off since mid-June and players are not scheduled to report for training camp until July 25.

“The New England Patriots are extremely disappointed to learn of Alfonzo Dennard’s arrest,” the team said in a statement. “We take this matter very seriously and are working to get more information on the incident.”

This is not Dennard’s first brush with Lincoln police.

Last year, he punched an officer investigating a fight outside a downtown bar and was later convicted of one count of assaulting an officer.

He was sentenced in March to 30 days in jail, two years of probation and 100 hours of law enforcement-related community service. Lancaster County Court Judge Stephanie Stacy allowed Dennard to delay his jail time until March 1, 2014, to avoid interfering with his NFL season.

Dennard’s lawyer, Terry Dougherty, said at the time he would file a motion to suspend the sentence if Dennard complied with all parts of his probation. Stacy said she would consider the motion.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini attended the sentencing. Pelini wrote a “character letter” in support of Dennard. Patriots coach Bill Belichick and University of Nebraska Regent Tim Clare also wrote character letters.

Dougherty said Thursday he had not talked to Dennard since his DUI arrest.

Gene Cotter, chief probation officer for the state’s adult probation office in Lincoln, said he’s required to notify the county attorney and the courts if someone on probation breaks the law again. Once that happens, he said, a judge can decide to revoke probation and impose jail time, or give the person another chance.

Cotter said his office had notified Lancaster County authorities of Dennard’s DUI arrest.

According to terms of his probation, Dennard is allowed to travel between his residences in Lincoln and Foxboro, Mass.

Cotter said probation officers in Massachusetts took over his case once he joined the Patriots so he could regularly attend meetings with officers there.
Dennard is required to submit to any search for controlled substances; a reference to searches for alcohol was crossed out on the final court order.

He also is required to submit to blood, breath and urine tests for controlled substances. Failure to do so constitutes a violation of probation, according to the order.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=9

pczach
07-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I heard this yesterday afternoon. What a moron. He's already basically on probation with the Patriots for a previous offense and he does this. These young guys never seem to learn by example.

beer72
07-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I heard this yesterday afternoon. What a moron. He's already basically on probation with the Patriots for a previous offense and he does this. These young guys never seem to learn by example.

So true...What a way to waste your life

Vis
07-12-2013, 07:56 AM

They do learn by example. Just count just how many examples of driving under the influence they have to emulate.

teegre
07-12-2013, 08:30 AM
They do learn by example. Just count just how many examples of driving under the influence they have to emulate.

I didn't know Dennard was a fan of Lindsey Logan. Hmmm... you learn something new every day. :wink02:

Fire Haley
07-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Protect the shield Roger! 6 games!

This shit head is on probation and hasn't even served his 30 days in jail yet. How stupid do you have to be?

Fire Arians
07-12-2013, 02:34 PM
man, the patriots are just killing it this offseason aren't they?

Lokki
07-13-2013, 11:09 AM
man, the patriots are just killing it this offseason aren't they?

Actually, I think it was just Hernandez that's been killing it this offseason. :sofunny:

Fire Haley
07-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Actually, I think it was just Hernandez that's been killing it this offseason. :sofunny:

ha ha!

nicely done

PATS16N0
07-14-2013, 01:15 AM
I wish this season would just start already....

Buddha Bus
07-14-2013, 09:05 AM
I wish this season would just start already....

It's not gonna get much better for you there either. :chuckle:

Sorry, but there's nothing more satisfying than seeing an arrogant, and holier-than-thou organization like the Patriots*, who think they can take on anyone regardless of their past history or character and "keep them in line" because they are some kind of impregnable castle of moral code, finally get their comeuppance. Maybe a little more humility will be in order going forward now.

JonM229
07-14-2013, 10:01 AM
How dare you blaspheme the great and all-powerful hoodie

Buddha Bus
07-14-2013, 10:12 AM
How dare you blaspheme the great and all-powerful hoodie

*Bill Belichick's hoodie*:monkey:

There. I re-baptized it.

PATS16N0
07-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Bet we win the Superbowl this year and Patriot haters have a meltdown

Bayz101
07-14-2013, 12:20 PM

I hear that same statement every year. We all know the final result, too. :wave:

PATS16N0
07-14-2013, 12:29 PM
I should be able to thank my own posts.

Buddha Bus
07-14-2013, 02:50 PM

I'll take that bet in a heartbeat.

Lady Steel
07-16-2013, 12:32 AM

Ha! Good one! :rolleyes:

steelerchad
07-16-2013, 08:30 AM

Well. You haven't been able to win the Super Bowl for a decade now and this may be the worst team you've fielded since that Super Bowl. So sure, it's logical to declare you'll win it all this year.
Of course, you'll be given a free pass to the playoffs as usual due to that cupcake division you play in. But that hasn't helped you get through real competition in the playoffs for quite some time.

Fire Arians
07-16-2013, 12:59 PM
I'll take that bet in a heartbeat.

me too

pczach
07-16-2013, 02:58 PM
I should be able to thank my own posts.

There's a reason they don't let you thank your own posts....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQnbQJV5QYBzVQ7vxSoe7BFLChgk-6uzjWXmcsFlVClY1tN7nl

Buddha Bus
07-16-2013, 05:00 PM
me too

http://lagraphicdesign.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/pic_work_770_w600.jpg