PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Roster Cuts Thread

83-Steelers-43
08-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Steelers Release Eight Players; Place One On Reserve/Injured List

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers released eight players today, including four rookies, as they trimmed their roster to 75.

Among the rookies released were safety Zach Baker, kicker Mark Brubaker, offensive tackle Nick Hagemann and offensive guard Grayling Love.

The Steelers also released second-year fullback Doug Easlick and three first-year players, including center/long snapper Kyle Andrews, linebacker Malcolm Postell and wide receiver Isaac West.

Additionally, the Steelers will be placing first-year offensive tackle Ulish Booker on the Reserved/Injured List with a knee injury.

NFL teams must trim their rosters to 53 players by 6 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 2. Teams may sign up to eight players to their practice squad after noon on Sunday, Sept. 3. The Steelers will have a ninth practice squad player in 2006 as WR Marvin Allen joined the team as part of the NFL International Development Practice Squad program.

http://news.steelers.com/article/68373/

83-Steelers-43
08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Nobody significant, but cuts nonetheless.

BlackNGold203
08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
8 on the practice squad???

Wow..for some reason I thought it was 5....:dang: :dang:

no real surprises there.....:cool: :cool:

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Nobody significant, but cuts nonetheless.

Agreed. I don't see anyone who would have major impact on the Steelers for their 2006 season.

HometownGal
08-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Nothing earth-shattering. It will be interesting to see who makes the final cut on Saturday.

TasmanianTroy271
08-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Yea, if you had asked any of us to cut 8 players from the Steelers roster we could've done it without any difficulty at all. Like you said, its the 53 man roster that'll be interesting

Lyn
08-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Saturday will be interesting :bouncy:

ItaliaFem
08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
After that performance, they may keep a 3rd string QB given previous probs with QBs but both Jacobs and Boyd had crap performances. I think Boyd has to get cut.

ajs8207
08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
After that performance, they may keep a 3rd string QB given previous probs with QBs but both Jacobs and Boyd had crap performances. I think Boyd has to get cut.

I doubt we will keep 3 quarterbacks worst case Hines or Cedrick Wilson can play QB. They really can't be much worse than Boyd or Jacobs.

ItaliaFem
08-28-2006, 02:51 PM
I doubt we will keep 3 quarterbacks worst case Hines or Cedrick Wilson can play QB. They really can't be much worse than Boyd or Jacobs.

I think they might keep a 3rd back-up. Hell we went through 3 QB's last year which granted was a fluke but we lost Randell who would have been a great 3rd QB. I don't know both were horrid and make me pine for Maddox which is blasphemy.

HometownGal
08-28-2006, 03:00 PM

Agreed. I think Jacobs will go to the practice squad and Boyd will be given the heave-ho. Could be vice-versa, as well, but I just don't see the Steelers keeping 3 QBs on their roster if they aren't forced to do so, which they are not. Ben is healthy and Batch is healthy (for now). No sense in wasting a roster spot on an extra QB if the situation doesn't call for it.

ajs8207
08-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I think they might keep a 3rd back-up. Hell we went through 3 QB's last year which granted was a fluke but we lost Randell who would have been a great 3rd QB. I don't know both were horrid and make me pine for Maddox which is blasphemy.

If Boyd and Jacobs can't get it done against 4th and 5th string players how are they gonna do anything against starters? We can leave one of them on the practice squad and sign them if needed.

Stlrs4Life
08-28-2006, 05:34 PM
The real cuts will happen friday or saturday.

Midnightwriter07
08-28-2006, 06:09 PM
I wonder if St Pierre wishes he stayed and not opted to go on Baltimores bench

Ambridge
08-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Agreed. I think Jacobs will go to the practice squad and Boyd will be given the heave-ho. Could be vice-versa, as well, but I just don't see the Steelers keeping 3 QBs on their roster if they aren't forced to do so, which they are not. Ben is healthy and Batch is healthy (for now). No sense in wasting a roster spot on an extra QB if the situation doesn't call for it.

The mantra that's been going around the NFL the last few seasons is that "You can't have too many Quarterbacks on the roster".
Too bad Boyd or Jacobs don't even raise the thought of keeping a 3rd QB. :shake01:

Ambridge
08-28-2006, 06:23 PM

As much as he was cut and resigned in Pittsburgh he's probably happy in Ratland.
Before McNair arrived I'm sure he learned a lot from the likes of Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright. :rolleyes:

Elvis
08-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Boy... to keep a 3rd QB or Not...hmmmm
hard decision... and which one do you keep... Boyd...or Jacobs? hmmm ... Very hard question...neither have looked that good... but you guys say that how can they compete against 1st stringer? well.. they are playing with 3rd and 4th string players also.. I saw Lee Mays drop atleast 2 passes against the Eagles and he is just a waste of roster spot and time.. I really hope the Steelers keep Kuhn the big white boy... he reminds me of Mike Alstott... he could be our power runner if given the chance with the 1st teamers..
God Bless
Elvis

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2006, 07:18 PM

Probably. I don't see him playing much at all now. McNair and Boller will get most of the snaps. This thread is now Stickied.

SteelShooter
08-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Boyd has to go!

The rest.....you've had the chance to test your mettle.............the result is a measure of your ability and dedication.

HometownGal
08-29-2006, 08:41 AM
I was listening to Steigerwald last night before the Pirates game and he seems to believe the Steelers will keep either Jacobs or Boyd on the team and the other will go to the practice squad. In retrospect, that may be a good idea, given Ben's problems with his thumb and Batch coming down with some type of injury just about every season. There are still a few viable QBs out there who could be signed cheap - cutting both Jacobs and Boyc and signing a "drifter" for league minimum may be a temporary solution to their problem.

GoFor6
08-29-2006, 06:59 PM
We pick-up an injury prone TE and get rid of "Small Toes" Smolko. What up wit dat?

Midnightwriter07
08-29-2006, 07:03 PM
have no idea who the guy is

Midnightwriter07
08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Tremendous leader and team player who sacrificed personal success for that of the team during his career with the Beavers … Considered to be one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the collegiate ranks, Euhus started 37 consecutive games while playing in 49 contests at OSU … A fine all-around athlete, he also competed for the school's basketball team as a freshman … The civil engineering major not only had a fine career on the football field, but he also excelled in the classroom and found love on campus, marrying OSU graduate Michelle Davis last June … For his career, he hauled in 98 passes for 1,346 yards (13.7 avg.) and nine touchdowns … Only Phil Ross (153 for 1,827 yards, 1985-89) had more catches and receiving yards by a tight end in school history … Has the distinction of earning a letter in basketball (1999-2000) at OSU before earning a letter in football, even though he was on a football scholarship … The last dual football-basketball letterman at OSU was another tight end, Justin Moore, who lettered in basketball as well as football in 1996.
ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a rangy, angular build with the ability to add at least 15 more pounds with no loss of speed … Comes off the line with adequate quickness when running long routes and runs hard all the time, using his leg drive and stiff-arm to run through tacklers … Knows how to use his hands to avoid the jam at the line of scrimmage and weaves through the under-coverage to sink down nicely for the ball … Has good knee bend and hip swerve, using his frame to push and leverage defenders getting into his routes … Capable of making sharp cuts and shows a good relationship with the quarterback, knowing when to come back to find the seam in the short zone when the passer is flushed out of the pocket looking for secondary targets … Presents a good-sized target over the middle and soft hands to ease the ball into his body … Has the body control to get to the off-target throws, especially doing a nice job down field of locking the ball in over his shoulders … Maintains concentration going for the pass in traffic, showing willingness to sacrifice his body to get to the pigskin … Shows good determination to get to the ball when running the seams and has enough athletic ability to get down field and be a threat on long routes … Athletic jumper with good body control, showing ability to frame off-target passes and make the tough catches with defenders draped all over him … Shows a solid leg base, knee bend and face-up determination when asked to block in the short area (more of a finesse blocker).
Negatives: Needs to add more bulk to his frame, one that can also use better muscle tone … Flashes some quickness off the snap (better when lined wide for longer routes), but he is not a sudden mover … Makes sharp cuts in his routes, but lacks explosion … Does not have the speed needed to consistently burst coming out of his breaks … Shows good blocking technique, but does not generate the ideal strength needed to prevent from getting run over by the larger, more physical defenders (gets tossed around quite a bit when trying to drive block or anchor) … Can jump for the ball, if needed, but needs to do a better job of timing his leaps … Must protect the ball better before heading up field (carries the ball too loose, resulting in fumbles).

AGILITY TESTS
4.73 in the 40-yard dash (indoor track) … 4.85 in the 40-yard dash (outdoors) … Bench presses 375 pounds … 465-pound squat … 336-pound power clean … 358-pound push press … 34-inch vertical jump … 34 ?-inch arm length … 9 ?-inch hands … Right-handed

83-Steelers-43
08-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Steelers sign tight end, release rookie
Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed three-year veteran tight end Tim Euhus to a contract and have released rookie free agent tight end Isaac Smolko, the team announced today.

Euhus was released by the New Orleans Saints yesterday. He was originally drafted in the fourth round of the 2004 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills out of Oregon State.

In 2005, Euhus appeared in 11 games for the Bills, making three starts. He finished with three receptions for 17 yards. He missed the first five games of the season with a shoulder injury. During his rookie year in 2004, Euhus played in 12 games before sustaining a season-ending knee injury. For his career, he has 14 catches for 115 yards with two touchdowns.

Smolko, a undrafted free agent rookie from Penn State, was signed by the Steelers in April. He appeared in all three preseason games for Pittsburgh and caught one pass, a one-yard touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals in the preseason opener.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06241/717308-100.stm

clevestinks
08-29-2006, 07:25 PM
WHO knows, TE is least of our few problems, maybe he has potential at another position, say OLB

Midnightwriter07
08-29-2006, 08:03 PM
We still haev Dekker and also Davis that are competing for the 3rd string job along with this new guy ... i am not sure why they signed him

TasmanianTroy271
08-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Dekker'll make it, He's been doing alot in preseason, and I haven't heard much from Davis...

Training_Camp
08-31-2006, 09:18 AM
I dont think J Dekker is going anywhere. But I am curious as to what we will see with Dan Kreider. He is a power house.

figg
09-02-2006, 12:30 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06245/718494-66.stm
"They released quarterback Shane Boyd, giving rookie Omar Jacobs a shot at making the roster or at least becoming No. 3 on the practice squad. They released punter Mike Barr for the third consecutive summer, going with veteran Chris Gardocki for his 16th NFL season. They released rookie tight end Charles Davis, a fifth-round draft choice, and must decide between undrafted rookie Jon Dekker and newly acquired Tim Euhus as their third tight end, if they keep three.

An intriguing move to watch for today is whether the Houston Texans release veteran tight end Mark Bruener. If they do, the Steelers could move quickly to sign him.

Halfback Cedrick Humes, a seventh-round pick, also is out as are offensive guard Tim Brown, nose tackle Scott Paxson, defensive end Lee Vickers, wide receivers Walter Young and Lee Mays, linebacker Ronald Stanley and fullback Brandon Joe.

Linebacker Richard Seigler has a right foot injury and could be waived/injured. Veteran offensive tackle Barrett Brooks' season ended in the game Thursday when he sustained a torn quad in his right knee. He goes on injured reserve."
A couple of things stuck out to me. Maybe bringing back Mark Bruener and Barrett Brooks tore a quad in his right knee

Prosdo
09-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Very interesting moves today especially the Humes one. Duce might not be gone after all.

And off topic it's FIGG! Where you been!

HometownGal
09-02-2006, 08:18 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06245/718494-66.stm
"They released quarterback Shane Boyd, giving rookie Omar Jacobs a shot at making the roster or at least becoming No. 3 on the practice squad. They released punter Mike Barr for the third consecutive summer, going with veteran Chris Gardocki for his 16th NFL season. They released rookie tight end Charles Davis, a fifth-round draft choice, and must decide between undrafted rookie Jon Dekker and newly acquired Tim Euhus as their third tight end, if they keep three.

An intriguing move to watch for today is whether the Houston Texans release veteran tight end Mark Bruener. If they do, the Steelers could move quickly to sign him.

Halfback Cedrick Humes, a seventh-round pick, also is out as are offensive guard Tim Brown, nose tackle Scott Paxson, defensive end Lee Vickers, wide receivers Walter Young and Lee Mays, linebacker Ronald Stanley and fullback Brandon Joe.

Linebacker Richard Seigler has a right foot injury and could be waived/injured. Veteran offensive tackle Barrett Brooks' season ended in the game Thursday when he sustained a torn quad in his right knee. He goes on injured reserve."
A couple of things stuck out to me. Maybe bringing back Mark Bruener and Barrett Brooks tore a quad in his right knee

Thanks for the info, figg. I'm glad the Steelers decided to keep Gardocki - smart move. No surprise at all that they are hanging onto Omar Jacobs instead of Shane Boyd - Omar won the job with this performance on Thursday night. I'm also not surprised that Cedric Humes was released - he just didn't have the "umph". I think Lee Mays' release was obvious but will another wideout be released at some point?

I wouldn't be thrilled if the Steelers signed Mark Bruener. He will be 35 years old in a few weeks which is kind of up there for a TE.

clevestinks
09-02-2006, 08:45 AM
35 IS OLD FOR A PASS CATCHING TE, but Bruener was a helluva blocker!

Jeremy
09-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I wonder who we'll sign to the practice squad.

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers today released 20 players in order to get closer to the 53-player limit by today's 6 p.m. deadline.

The Steelers also announced that 12-year veteran offensive lineman Barrett Brooks was placed on the Reserve/Injured list after injuring his quadriceps in the team's preseason finale versus the Carolina Panthers. Brooks will miss the entire 2006 season.

The players released from the Steelers roster include, P Mike Barr, QB Shane Boyd, OL Tim Brown, TE Charles Davis, TE Jon Dekker, DE Orien Harris, RB Cedric Humes, QB Omar Jacobs, FB Branden Joe, FB John Kuhn, S Mike Lorello, CB Anthony Madison, WR Lee Mays, DE Shaun Nua, DT Scott Paxson, LB Richard Seigler, LB Ron Stanley, OT Brandon Torrey, DE Lee Vickers and WR Walter Young.

The Steelers must release two more players by 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 2, to reach the NFL's 53-man roster limit.

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow...they cut both QB's.....

Jeremy
09-02-2006, 10:49 AM
After watching the first three games, I can't say that I'm surprised by the move. One of them will be signed to the practice squad. The question is which one.

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
True...none of them played well enough for another team to snag them...unless we snag another QB someone else cuts....

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 10:55 AM
The Obvious Question...who are the other two that will go..I am thinking Morey or Iwuoma...and possibly one of our back up LB's Harrison.

redst3
09-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Hopefully we wont ever see either guy play any way.

Looks like we had some bad picks in the late rounds. They let go of that Defensive end as well as Humes. So, what are they waiting for with Staley? My feeling is they are still trying to deal him somewhere even at this late hour, or there may be some hanky panky going on with the waiver wire.

redst3
09-02-2006, 10:58 AM
LLT, I cant believe they would cut Chidi. Thats just me.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 11:00 AM
LLT, I cant believe they would cut Chidi. Thats just me.

I hope not..but one of those two special teams aces will "probably" go.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 11:01 AM

Looks like we had some bad picks in the late rounds. They let go of that Defensive end as well as Humes. So, what are they waiting for with Staley? My feeling is they are still trying to deal him somewhere even at this late hour, or there may be some hanky panky going on with the waiver wire.

I actually was excited about Harris..but I think he is a 4-3 DT.

PisnNapalm
09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm disappointed to see Kuhn get cut. I think he has some potential.

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
stay tuned..there may be some deals in the works......

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm disappointed to see Kuhn get cut. I think he has some potential.

Alot of people were in love with this kid...based on about a dozen preseason carries....

the staff sees this kid everyday for 5 weeks...obviously there was something they didnt like...

redst3
09-02-2006, 11:08 AM
I think it depends on whether you need an extra wideout or an extra db. Maybe with Ward's hammy all whacked out you keep Morey and let go of Chidi. I prefer Chidi as a fan...One thing is for sure there are Linebackers out the a$$, so someone is probably going to be let go in that spot, but if so, who? Frazier or Arnold Harrison? Even Siegler played well and may latch on somewhere. I knew he had virtually no shot anyway...

redst3
09-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Alot of people were in love with this kid...based on about a dozen preseason carries....

the staff sees this kid everyday for 5 weeks...obviously there was something they didnt like...

Agree...lets face it he really only had a few flashes here and there. He had his chance and he didnt make it. They may keep him around on the Practice Squad. Id say it would be a pretty good idea right now, especially given the fact that Miami is pretty good against the run.....and I liked Kuhn too....

PisnNapalm
09-02-2006, 11:15 AM
---------------RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
vs. Cardinals J.Kuhn 2 15 7.5 11 0
vs. Vikings J.Kuhn 8 30 3.8 11 0
vs. Eagles J.Kuhn 6 24 4.0 7 0
vs. Panthers J.Kuhn 2 11 5.5 8 0

Seemed to me like he was moving the ball for us.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 11:17 AM

,,just saw that the Dolphins are actively looking for a RB...

redst3
09-02-2006, 11:21 AM
PNP, thanks for the stats. Point well taken. Cant recall were these against "good" defenses? On the other hand, were they behind "good" offensive linemen? One thing is clear, his numbers are way better than Staley's.

redst3
09-02-2006, 11:23 AM
,,just saw that the Dolphins are actively looking for a RB...

Jeebs, that would be ironic if the fins nabbed a guy from the Steelers. It would be like one of Coughlin's old tricks from Jacksonville days. :dang:

Miami needs a back Im sure because of Morris being suspended.

clevestinks
09-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Kuhns was impressive against lesser talents. He played mostly against other players who were on the bubble also. He has some upside but I trust our talent evaluators!

clevestinks
09-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Steelers Make Roster Moves; Place Brooks on Reserve/Injured List

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers today released 20 players in order to get closer to the 53-player limit by today's 6 p.m. deadline.

The Steelers also announced that 12-year veteran offensive lineman Barrett Brooks was placed on the Reserve/Injured list after injuring his quadriceps in the team's preseason finale versus the Carolina Panthers. Brooks will miss the entire 2006 season.

The players released from the Steelers roster include, P Mike Barr, QB Shane Boyd, OL Tim Brown, TE Charles Davis, TE Jon Dekker, DE Orien Harris, RB Cedric Humes, QB Omar Jacobs, FB Branden Joe, FB John Kuhn, S Mike Lorello, CB Anthony Madison, WR Lee Mays, DE Shaun Nua, DT Scott Paxson, LB Richard Seigler, LB Ron Stanley, OT Brandon Torrey, DE Lee Vickers and WR Walter Young.

The Steelers must release two more players by 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 2, to reach the NFL's 53-man roster limit.

Going over the list, I am surprised that Kuhn and Humes got cut. I would have thought that one would make the team. I could see one get picked back up soon. I thought Omar Jacobs was really going to be the diamond in the rough? And I guess Staley impressed enough, also Cobb must be pretty descent???????//

redst3
09-02-2006, 11:38 AM
I still believe Staley will be dealt somewhere or he will be cut. the article said there are two more moves to go. It just doesn't make sense to keep Staley.

OneForTheToe
09-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Well , little out of it this morning from too much ah ah ah ah .............. Yea anyway, it would appear to me as if the two cuts would most likely be a reciever and a backer.

I would think, that if Duce is not going to be on the roster, then either Khun or Davis would still be hanging on the roster at the moment.

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Wow, neither QB made team ...wonder which of the guys cut will be on practice squad ... hopefully we will see of these gusy again.

ajs8207
09-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I hope Jacobs is put on the PS, not Boyd.

OneForTheToe
09-02-2006, 01:46 PM
The Steelers have eight spots available on the the practice squad. I'm not sure there are eight guys on the present cut list that have earned a spot.

Here is my guess:

1) Jacobs - I think they may sign another QB to the PS, but not Boyd.
2) Kuhn - was on PS last year and can play FB and RB better than Humes.
3) Harris - as stated by someone earlier, he seemed to have trouble adjusting to 3-4. However, I think they may give him a year to adjust.
4) Vickers - I thought he looked better in his first year than Nua did even with Nua's time on the PS last year. Plus, he seems like he could be one of the tweeners the Steelers might try and switch to LB in the future.
5) Seigler - played pretty good. This might be dependent if the Steelers release another LB tonight

Some of the last three spots could be grabbed by a Branden Joe or a Walter Young, but they will surely scour the waiver wire around the league.

Does anyone know if Rod Rutherford's rights are owned by the Steelers? I think I read that he broke his foot last spring, if I remember correctly. He would be a possibility for the PS as well if he is healthy and available.

ajs8207
09-02-2006, 01:48 PM
The Steelers have eight spots available on the the practice squad. I'm not sure there are eight guys on the present cut list that have earned a spot.

Here is my guess:

1) Jacobs - I think they may sign another QB to the PS, but not Boyd.
2) Kuhn - was on PS last year and can play FB and RB better than Humes.
3) Harris - as stated by someone earlier, he seemed to have trouble adjusting to 3-4. However, I think they may give him a year to adjust.
4) Vickers - I thought he looked better in his first year than Nua did even with Nua's time on the PS last year. Plus, he seems like he could be one of the tweeners the Steelers might try and switch to LB in the future.
5) Seigler - played pretty good. This might be dependent if the Steelers release another LB tonight

Some of the last three spots could be grabbed by a Branden Joe or a Walter Young, but they will surely scour the waiver wire around the league.

Does anyone know if Rod Rutherford's rights are owned by the Steelers? I think I read that he broke his foot last spring, if I remember correctly. He would be a possibility for the PS as well if he is healthy and available.

We released Rutherford right before training camp started.

OneForTheToe
09-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks, ais8207. There will be a heap of bodies on the waiver wire pile Monday morning for the Steelers to sift through looking for bargains.

CantStop85
09-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Wow, I could very well see someone snagging away Orien Harris or Omar Jacobs.

19ward86
09-02-2006, 02:49 PM
why was john kuhn cut? i dont understand that, they need to get rid of staley and get some young guys in the mix. staley is horrible and they are trying to take on a risk that is going to hurt the steelers more than if Roethlisberger was out for the season. our run game is too important to be this careless.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Jeebs, that would be ironic if the fins nabbed a guy from the Steelers. It would be like one of Coughlin's old tricks from Jacksonville days. :dang:

Miami needs a back Im sure because of Morris being suspended.

Oh yea..the old "pick up a player ..find out Pittsburghs plays..and cut them after the game" trick...That used to really burn my butt!!

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 03:23 PM
i dont agree with Kuhn being cut either ... and i am sure plenty of our cuts are going to be picked up elsewhere...

redst3
09-02-2006, 04:29 PM
why was john kuhn cut? .

Just saw the Carolina game....Kuhn's fumble was pretty costly...may have been the nail in the coffin. We dont know what he was told before the game...maybe he was given the "this is your chance" speech...

Livinginthe past
09-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Its very possible that Cowher thinks he has enough inexperience without cutting Duce aswell.

The No.1 back will be Willie - he is a former UDFA with only 1 years experience

The No.2 back will be Verron Haynes - he has only 159 career carries and has never started a game

The No.4 back/ Special teams guy will be Patrick Cobbs - another UDFA with no experience

I dont suppose you could honestly expect any of these guys to show 'leadership' skills - they will be too busy learning their own position and looking after their own game.

Just a thought.

NM

Ambridge
09-02-2006, 04:49 PM
I think the decision to keep Staley will blow-up in the Steelers face at some time during the season.
I hope that Kuhn and or Humes clear waivers and go on the PS.

HometownGal
09-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I am shocked that the Steelers cut Jacobs and am hoping that they do sign him to the PS. I feel that he earned the #3 slot after his good performance in the Carolina game on Thursday. Earlier, I thought they did keep him, but was sadly mistaken.

Prosdo
09-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Steelers Release Final Two Players; Trim Roster to 53

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers today released linebacker Andre Frazier and wide receiver Quincy Morgan to trim their roster to the NFL's league minimum of 53 players.

Frazier (6-5, 234) originally signed as an undrafted free agent and made the active 53-man roster coming out of last year's camp. After spending five days on the team's practice squad, he was signed back to the 53-man roster until he was placed on the Reserve/Injured List on Jan. 24, 2006, with an injured right leg.

Frazier played in 11 games as a rookie and posted two tackles, including one sack in the season opener against the Tennessee Titans. He also added eight special teams' tackles in the regular season.

Morgan (6-1, 215) was acquired by the Steelers as a free agent on Sept. 6, 2005, after spending the 2004 season with the Dallas Cowboys. He was originally drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft before being traded to the Cowboys on Oct. 19, 2004.

Morgan played in all 16 games in 2005 for Pittsburgh as a wide receiver and kick returner. He posted nine catches for 150 yards and two touchdowns as a receiver while returning 23 kickoffs for 583 yards (25.3 avg.), which ranked fifth in the AFC and eighth in the NFL. Morgan missed the final three postseason games after suffering a right ankle injury in the Wild Card Game at Cincinnati.

All NFL teams may sign up to eight rookies or first-year players to their practice squad after noon on Sunday, Sept. 3.

http://news.steelers.com/article/68642/

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 06:28 PM
DAMN!!

Morgan????

redst3
09-02-2006, 06:33 PM
hate to see them let Quiny go. I would have 86ed Duce and kept Quincy, so they are cutting him to keep Morey I guess. Frazier will find work somewhere else. the steelers are just totally loaded at Backer.

Livinginthe past
09-02-2006, 06:49 PM
So.....this Frazier dude...he's probably worth taking a look at from a Patriot point of view - this could have been the second half to my Patrick Cobbs/Steeler LBer prediction I made.

Oh well, we'll have to see who comes in for him and what they can offer - all I know is we are pretty thin in that department.

NM

Midnightwriter07
09-02-2006, 06:56 PM
yeah , i am sure the pats will pick him up.. he is a decent back up and always played well but given our talent and depth.. too hard for him to get playing time.. He would be a nice pick up for anyone playing the 3-4

I guess Morgan is gone too.. i am just in disbelief today..... people i thought would stay are going and people i thought were going are staying... <--shakes head .... i know better than to watch pre season stuff lol lol

redst3
09-02-2006, 06:57 PM
So.....this Frazier dude...he's probably worth taking a look at from a Patriot point of view - this could have been the second half to my Patrick Cobbs/Steeler LBer prediction I made.

NM

Its almost a Mike Vrable type of situation...well not almost... just kind of in a limited way. It was Joey Porter or Vrable so they let Mike go, though he was good. So, yes, it is plausible for the Patriots to get him. I thought Jr. was the guy though....:smile:

83-Steelers-43
09-02-2006, 07:51 PM

Thank You.

On that note........KUHN FOR PRESIDENT!!! :rolleyes:

BlackNGold203
09-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Thank You.

On that note........KUHN FOR PRESIDENT!!! :rolleyes:

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

clevestinks
09-02-2006, 09:09 PM
I might as well say it first. Do you think we should give Charles Rogers a look??

43Hitman
09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
I might as well say it first. Do you think we should give Charles Rogers a look??

Lol...NO FREAKING WAY!!!...Lol. Good one man.:sofunny: :sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2006, 08:28 AM
DAMN!!

Morgan????

I'm wearing all black..and officially mourning. that sucks!!!

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 09:06 AM
OK...my take on the morning after.......

Cowher, Colbert, and the coaching staff kept what..in their opinion, were the 53 best players....the 53 players who they believe give us the very best chance to win a championship...

Nuff Said.....we have been successful for so freakin long...I will not question their judgement...

Believe it or not....THEY know a helluva lot more about football than WE do....

thank you for listening...have a nice day.....

:cool: :cool:

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 09:14 AM
OK...my take on the morning after.......

Cowher, Colbert, and the coaching staff kept what..in their opinion, were the 53 best players....the 53 players who they believe give us the very best chance to win a championship...

Nuff Said.....we have been successful for so freakin long...I will not question their judgement...

Believe it or not....THEY know a helluva lot more about football than WE do....

thank you for listening...have a nice day.....

http://www.globalschoolnet.org/about/images/applause.gif

Though I still am NOT happy about the Quincy Morgan cut - LOL!

BlackNGold203
09-03-2006, 09:17 AM
*bows to HTG's applause...but smashes his head on the desk...causing me to be put on the PUP*

YAY!!...Maybe they'll sign Kuhn now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
09-03-2006, 10:01 AM
*bows to HTG's applause...but smashes his head on the desk...causing me to be put on the PUP*

YAY!!...Maybe they'll sign Kuhn now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're gonna smash your head, do it right, man! :busted:

http://www.sgcricket.com/images/MALLET.JPG