PDA

View Full Version : Bengals owner wants to alter team's image

Buddha Bus
07-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Owner explains 'Hard Knocks' call
Updated: July 23, 2013, 6:40 PM ET
Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Bengals owner Mike Brown wanted to do another "Hard Knocks" training camp series with HBO because he thinks it will change his franchise's image as a place where troubled players are welcomed.

Things are much different now, Brown said Tuesday at the team's annual preseason luncheon.

"We have a different team now than we had a few years ago," Brown said. "We want the public to see them. We think they're good people. We think the public will be taken by them, will like them. It gives us a boost."

When the Bengals agreed to do "Hard Knocks" for the first time in 2009, Brown hoped that troubled receiver Chris Henry -- arrested five times -- would get a lot of air time so fans could see beyond his criminal record. Then, Brown had a reputation for drafting and signing troubled players. Ten different Bengals players had been arrested during a 14-month span.

The club has been more careful in the last few years. The only currently player on a court docket is cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, scheduled for trial Aug. 19 on an assault charge.

At one point during the run of arrests, Brown referred to himself as a "redeemer." He said he's now taking an approach more like his father, franchise founder Paul Brown, who didn't put up with bad conduct.

"The thing I do regret is how it came to make us, or put on us an image that I don't think was ever anything but a very small part of what we were and sometimes not a part at all," Brown said. "But if you want to blame somebody for it, blame me.

(Read More:) http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9502979/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-wants-alter-team-image

__________________________________________________ ___

Luckily for Mike Brown the Patriots* are taking some heat off of his team. :chuckle:

For further information regarding the Cincinnati Bengals, please refer to:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=11317

pczach
07-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Poor Mike Brown....

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4715608871669059&pid=15.1

Vis
07-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Poor Mike Brown....

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4715608871669059&pid=15.1

Bengals owner Mike Brown is in favor of making the game safer and reducing concussions but doesn't think there is proof there is a link between concussions and dementia, Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

“No one really knows what concussions mean, especially as you grow older,” Brown said on Tuesday during the Bengals Training Camp luncheon. “It’s not only not proven, it’s merely speculation that this is something that creates some form of dementia late in life. Our statistics – the ones I’ve seen anyway – don’t show that.

“I’m not convinced anybody really knows what concussions bring, what they mean later in life – if anything.”

The comments also come two weeks after an arbitrator ruled against the Bengals in an injury grievance involving former tight end Ben Utecht. The arbitrator said there should have been more rigorous testing before he was released.

Brown said the team and doctors did everything they could to rehabilitate Utecht.

“We followed their advice and at a certain point in time we’re told he was ready to go back to play. We were told that not just by our doctors but by our concussion experts,” Brown said. “So when you get to that point, you have the option of releasing the player. This was well into the season – I don’t know how many months – and we let him go.”

Atlanta Dan
07-24-2013, 09:39 AM
By any objective measure of talent the Bengals have passed the Steelers

But with Mike Brown in charge (and Marvin Lewis as head coach) there is still hope:chuckle:

Vis
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
By any objective measure of talent the Bengals have passed the Steelers

:

The known talent. I have blind faith that all of our rookies are allstars

Lady Steel
07-24-2013, 11:44 PM
:blah::blah::blah:

:sign04:

GBMelBlount
07-24-2013, 11:59 PM
By any objective measure of bed bugs the Bengals have passed the Steelers

But with Mike Brown in charge (and Marvin Lewis as head coach) there is still hope:chuckle:

Fixed it for ya.

Don't forget we have Ben and he's been deloused. :thumbsup:

OX1947
07-25-2013, 01:52 AM
True definition of talent is WINNING. And no one has shown more talent in the last 43 years then the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Buddha Bus
07-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Fixed it for ya.

Don't forget we have Ben and he's been potty trained. :thumbsup:

Fixed! :thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2013, 05:55 PM
When I think about the growing intersection between science and the culture change the NFL is trying to bring about regarding concussions and related brain injuries, I immediately wonder what Mike Brown has to say about the topic.:chuckle:...

So when the Bengals’ 77-year-old owner decides to open up and shed some light on the issue, as he did last week in interviews with Cincinnati-area media, I pay attention. Especially when Brown sums up any potential link between football-produced head injuries and later-in-life brain damage as nothing more than “merely speculation,” citing “our statistics”’ as substantiation of his claim.

That pretty much settles it for me, but I’m not sure it will completely sway the debate in the eyes of the 4,000-plus former NFL players who are suing the league, claiming the NFL withheld information about the long-term consequences that football contact can have on the brain. They might need a tad more convincing, and for Brown to save them all some time and court costs by fleshing out the topic.

Which, in fairness, he attempted to do at the Bengals’ kickoff luncheon at Cincinnati’s Paul Brown Stadium, adding to the public record that he himself suffered his share of concussions as a high school and college athlete, and “I can still count to 10.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/30/mike-brown-concussion-comments/?sct=hp_bf1_a3&eref=sihp

Please God make sure that Mike Brown continues to run the Bengals for a long time