PDA

View Full Version : Myron Cope is retiring.

BB2W
06-21-2005, 04:16 PM
PITTSBURGH (June 21, 2005) -- Longtime Pittsburgh Steelers radio broadcaster Myron Cope is retiring.

Cope, known for his screeching, nasal delivery of exclamations such as "Yoi!" and "Double Yoi!" has broadcast games on the Steelers Radio Network since 1970.

He also created the Terrible Towel, a black-and-gold good-luck charm that fans wave at games. Hundreds of thousands have been sold at $5 to $10 each, with profits going to charity.

His retirement follows an injury in November, when he apparently fell at his home and hit his head the day before a game. He went to Heinz Field for the game, but couldn't continue beyond the first half and was taken to a hospital.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-21-2005, 04:26 PM
ya just beat me to it bro, I was just about to post this up.. good thing I doubled check first.. ;)

Man, what a sad day.. Cope has meant so much to the city, the fans across the world and to the organization itself, its gonna be weird not hearing Myron's, Yoi !! right after Bill Hillgrove does his play by play.

We'll miss you man, you still rock!!!

BB2W
06-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, this is a sad day in Steeler Nation......back when the broadcast was on 1410 I would turn on the radio and mute the TV so I could hear Myron. The Steelers lost a big part of the organization, and a piece of their own identity......This sucks. :(

BlitzburghRockCity
06-21-2005, 06:09 PM
I always subscribe to the NFL field pass, just so I can here Bill, Myron, and Tunch during the games... I wonder if they'll just let Tunch slide into his spot, or if they'll bring in a 3rd color commentator..

clevestinks
06-21-2005, 06:29 PM
This is bad news! Especially now. They really need him to do one last game, when we make it to Detroit!

Prosdo
06-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Sad to see Myron go. Definitely will be missed.

geran42o
06-21-2005, 09:14 PM
yeah, I always turn the radio on and watch the games cause I can't stand the tv callers. It's really a sad day for Steeler Nation.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Great quote from Mr. Rooney..

Even though Myron Cope is leaving the broadcast booth, Myron?s presence at Steelers games will continue to be felt in the form of one of football?s greatest game day traditions

Prosdo
06-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Nice quote and very true.

bigbensgirl7
06-22-2005, 11:06 AM
He will be deeply missed by all! Thank you for all the wonderful years Myron, and of course, the Terrible Towels! :o

RoethlisBURGHer
06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
This is so sad.Unfortunatly,I never really got to hear Myron announce games because I live in Cleveland.

Come on Steelers,win this Super Bowl for Myron!