PDA

View Full Version : Article ’72 Dolphins finally get their White House visit

SteelerEmpire
08-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Article:

...More than 40 years after the fact, the NFL’s only 17-0 franchise will get its visit to the White House, next week...

LINK: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/13/72-dolphins-finally-get-their-white-house-visit/

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/shula.jpg?w=237

Vis
08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Thank you NY Giants

SteelerEmpire
08-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03vXZ_HJf5Y

Fire Arians
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
as much as i hate the pats, haven't they already surpassed the dolphins by going 18-0?

sure the dolphins won a championship that year, but they didn't have to play a 16 game regular season

GMU Steeler
08-20-2013, 09:48 PM
as much as i hate the pats, haven't they already surpassed the dolphins by going 18-0?

sure the dolphins won a championship that year, but they didn't have to play a 16 game regular season

I think you got to go the whole way honestly IMO. That was a nice season the Pats had but they needed to complete the deal to match the Fins IMO. In an interesting coincidence, the Pats do hold the single season winning streak record with 21 which ours truly broke.

Atlanta Dan
08-20-2013, 09:53 PM

All you can do is defeat everyone you play that year - 2007 Pats and 1985 Bears did not - unlike those 2 other teams Dolphins also had to win their conference championship game on the road in a frenzied Three Rivers since the NFL did not seed the teams then

That doesn't make the 72 Dolphins the greatest NFL team of all time or even the greatest Dolphins team (the 73 Dolphins team that won the Super Bowl was regarded by the players as the better team) - just makes them the only team that went undefeated

MMQB had a nice article on how Coach Shula is doing these days at age 83- sad to read he has experienced some major health problems, as has Coach Noll, but as anyone with aging parents knows that is part of life

Don Shula Abides

Time slows down and weakens people, but it’s had the opposite effect on Shula’s legacy, strengthening and preserving it. His 347 career wins and his 1972 undefeated season with the Dolphins seem all the more remarkable with each passing autumn. In this way Shula stands alone in NFL history

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/16/don-shula-abides/

SteelerEmpire
08-20-2013, 10:28 PM
It also depends on your schedule too. But there were loose practice regulations back then that you could not get away with now. The 72 Dolphins went through a MEGA practice off season before that run, totally against the rules now. And also, never forget the Spygate issue with the Pats. If they were innocent and didn't do any damage, why did the commish (a previously, career politician) destroy the evidence ? If the evidence helps the Pats, let the world see so they can get off clean. Why not ? Because the commish's rep would have took "more" of a hit had he not done it.

harrison'samonster
08-20-2013, 10:36 PM

think of it this way: each year it's a different team that trains together and sets there goals together, the goal is to win it all, but nobody really expects to win every game.

this team not only won it all, but as a group of individuals who put all the work in, they never lost one game.

zcoop
08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
think of it this way: each year it's a different team that trains together and sets there goals together, the goal is to win it all, but nobody really expects to win every game.

this team not only won it all, but as a group of individuals who put all the work in, they never lost one game.

Yep I remember watching this game on a B & W TV. Had to pull for the Fins in that one. Man, time sure does fly.