PDA

View Full Version : Jadeveon Clowney viewed as a once-in-a-decade NFL prospect

Vis
08-15-2013, 09:23 AM
South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney would have been the first overall pick in this year’s NFL draft if he had been eligible to be drafted. Next year, when he’ll finally be the requisite three years out of high school, he’s expected to go first overall. But Clowney is more than just the best prospect to come out in the last couple years.

Clowney is the best defensive prospect to come out of college football in at least the last 10 years, according to a survey of NFL personnel people conducted by Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com. Jeremiah asked five executives, each with more than 10 years of experience, if Clowney is the best defensive draft prospect in the last 10 years, and all 10 said he was. The only differences of opinion were about how big the margin between Clowney and everyone else is, and who was the second-best prospect of the last 10 years.

One executive said Clowney is the best “hands down,” while another said Clowney is an easy choice with only Ndamukong Suh, drafted by the Lions with the No. 2 overall pick in 2010, even close. One executive said he’d give Clowney a “slight edge” over Mario Williams, drafted by the Texans first overall in 2006, one said Clowney is first in a group of top defensive prospects that also includes Suh, Williams, Darrelle Revis and Von Miller, and one said that while Clowney is not “perfect,” he’s probably the best in the last decade.

It’s still possible that something could happen to make Clowney drop on draft boards, and it’s also still possible that a quarterback like Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville could have such a spectacular 2013 season that the team with the first pick in the draft considers him too good to pass up in 2014. But at the moment, Clowney looks like not just the best player in next year’s draft, but the most coveted non-quarterback prospect in many years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/jadeveon-clowney-viewed-as-a-once-in-a-decade-nfl-prospect/

Vis
08-15-2013, 09:24 AM
I feel bad for my fellow Gamecock for his future in Jacksonville or Oakland

Fire Arians
08-15-2013, 11:50 AM

nah, oakland will pass him up for someone who runs a 4.2, or throws a ball 90 yards without any accuracy

ebsteelers
08-15-2013, 12:04 PM

why were going 0-20 anyway?

frown for the clown

down for the clown

drown for the clown

JonM229
08-15-2013, 12:55 PM
nah, oakland will pass him up for someone who runs a 4.2, or throws a ball 90 yards without any accuracy

I didn't know Brian Billick coaches the Raiders

silver & black
08-15-2013, 01:06 PM
You all seem to forget that Al no longer runs the team. :wink02:

ebsteelers
08-15-2013, 01:15 PM
You all seem to forget that Al no longer runs the team. :wink02:

good point...

should be interesting but if raiders are the worst team ( i think jags are worse)

but the smart move would be take clowney 1.. in a draft that could turn out quarterback heavy. plus it might be a good idea to see what flynn and pryor got before rushing into another quarterback.

teegre
08-15-2013, 02:06 PM
He'll be a 49er. Harbaugh has the draft picks to trade up.

GodfatherofSoul
08-15-2013, 02:13 PM

I don't see anyone giving away a top pick to miss out on him. It's friggin, 2013 and people are already slobbering over the chance to draft him. I guess I'm skeptical about the draft. I see the further down you go the lower likelihood you have of a guy meeting expectations. If a sure thing drops in your lap, you'd better jump on it. Harbaugh would have to go Ditka batshit crazy on a draft pick trade offer for me to give away Clowney.

Vis
08-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Ditka batshit crazy

That should be on our money

ebsteelers
08-15-2013, 02:28 PM
doesnt he already have a bruised shoulder?

feels like every few years there is a can't miss player once in a generation player... everyone still has a boner from him lighting up victor smith

Fire Arians
08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
frown for the clown till im dead in the ground!

GBMelBlount
08-15-2013, 04:10 PM
I feel...my....cock...to....jack...on...Oak

:horror:

GBMelBlount
08-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Harbaugh would have to go Ditka batshit crazy on a draft pick trade offer for me to give away Clowney.

Wasn't the Redskins RGIII deal the equivalent of Ditka's insanity?

Vis
08-15-2013, 04:34 PM
:horror:

It is a proud oak. And it wonders why the maples can't be happy in its shade.

jacobo
08-15-2013, 04:52 PM
it's funny, he's a peppers/williams-type of d-line prospect but most people only know him from a botched play that gets shown every time he's mentioned.

silver & black
08-15-2013, 06:30 PM
good point...

should be interesting but if raiders are the worst team ( i think jags are worse)

but the smart move would be take clowney 1.. in a draft that could turn out quarterback heavy. plus it might be a good idea to see what flynn and pryor got before rushing into another quarterback.

I agree but, you have to have the 1st pick to take him :wink02:.

The Raiders are not a good football team, that isn't even up for debate but, I really don't think they will get the #1 pick next year.

JPPT1974
08-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Al no longer runs the team as he is no longer on this earth that's why. But he has his seat in heaven to watch the games though!

silver & black
08-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Al no longer runs the team as he is no longer on this earth that's why. But he has his seat in heaven to watch the games though!

Are you by chance a Raiders fan? I don't see any other reason for your avatar?

teegre
08-15-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't see anyone giving away a top pick to miss out on him. It's friggin, 2013 and people are already slobbering over the chance to draft him. I guess I'm skeptical about the draft. I see the further down you go the lower likelihood you have of a guy meeting expectations. If a sure thing drops in your lap, you'd better jump on it. Harbaugh would have to go Ditka batshit crazy on a draft pick trade offer for me to give away Clowney.

Point taken.

That said, the 49ers don't have enough roster spots for all of their draft picks. Ergo, I could indeed see them going bat-shit crazy (and trade away five picks for Clowney).

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I just hope he doesn't blow out a knee during his last season in which he is required to play AAA (aka college) football. At least he is in the SEC, which in terms of the talent level is somewhere between the rest of college football and the NFL.

Coach Spurrier says Clowney is the rare player who probably could have played in the NFL immediately after leaving high school.

NFL has prevailed on this issue in court but forcing guys to wait to qualify for the draft is unfortunate.

Blacksburg Zach
08-17-2013, 04:27 PM

No, he will be a Patriot. The Steelers will finish the season 0-21, get the first overall pick, and then Belichick will use his genius to manipulate the Steelers into just giving the first pick to the Pats.

teegre
08-17-2013, 07:51 PM
No, he will be a Patriot. The Steelers will finish the season 0-21, get the first overall pick, and then Belichick will use his genius to manipulate the Steelers into just giving the first pick to the Pats.

I actually almost put the Taperiots (it's a Belichickian type of move), but I didn't want to jinx it. Since the cat's out of the bag, yes, I could see Belichick trading up for Clowney.

zcoop
08-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I actually almost put the Taperiots (it's a Belichickian type of move), but I didn't want to jinx it. Since the cat's out of the bag, yes, I could see Belichick trading up for Clowney.

I hope not, the last two places I would like for my boy to end up is Baltimore or Foxboro.

pczach
08-18-2013, 09:10 AM
We won't care where he goes if we win another Lombardi.

Buddha Bus
08-18-2013, 10:33 AM

You're thinking of the.......

http://theawesomeboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nfl-losers.jpg

pczach
08-18-2013, 02:43 PM
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/michigandan1999/6a00d83451c70769e200e54f71a7fb8833-.jpg

harrison'samonster
08-18-2013, 02:59 PM
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/michigandan1999/6a00d83451c70769e200e54f71a7fb8833-.jpg

squirrels with swords! This is my favorite post of the day!

silver & black
08-18-2013, 03:22 PM
You're thinking of the.......

http://theawesomeboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nfl-losers.jpg
Yea... well....er.............. I got nothin'. :uhh: