PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the Dustin Keller injury

Da Pimp
08-18-2013, 01:06 PM
They should make shot to the knees illegal. Seriously. Nothing worse than losing a player for the season from a preseason shot to the knees. He tore all 3 ligaments. It's just wrong. Do you really need to blast away at knees to play this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0emf6GH4Mw

Goldsteel86
08-18-2013, 01:10 PM
They should make shot to the knees illegal. Seriously. Nothing worse than losing a player for the season from a preseason shot to the knees. He tore all 3 ligaments. It's just wrong. Do you really need to blast away at knees to play this game?

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0emf6GH4Mw

Keller, wait a minute, searching, searching, not on the Steelers roster. Quite frankly though, I don't give a shit, here's to hoping he has a speedy recovery, however I certainly know a TE that needs my focus of attention, that is Heath Miller. Sorry, Dustin Keller, but my interest meter has you no where on it. God Speed!!!!

Buddha Bus
08-18-2013, 01:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0emf6GH4Mw

You can thank Roger Goodell and his rules limiting the areas of the body defensive players can hit and how. This was an obvious outcome to the new rules he's been instituting for the past few years. The lower legs and midsection are the only areas defensive players feel like they can target anymore. Serious knee injuries are a direct result of the new rules, sad to say.

Da Pimp
08-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Keller, wait a minute, searching, searching, not on the Steelers roster. Quite frankly though, I don't give a shit, here's to hoping he has a speedy recovery, however I certainly know a TE that needs my focus of attention, that is Heath Miller. Sorry, Dustin Keller, but my interest meter has you no where on it. God Speed!!!!

That's all well and good, until this style of play takes out a Steeler for the season. With the new rules made to skirt upcoming law suits, players now target the knees since they are afraid to hit anywhere near the head. Chances are, the Steelers will lose a starter for the season from a hit just like this one. And when that happens, it's going to suck, big time. How can Heath Miller even want to take the field with this going on?

Da Pimp
08-18-2013, 01:25 PM
You can thank Roger Goodell and his rules limiting the areas of the body defensive players can hit and how. This was an obvious outcome to the new rules he's been instituting for the past few years. The lower legs and midsection are the only areas defensive players feel like they can target anymore. Serious knee injuries are a direct result of the new rules, sad to say.

Actually, Roger is just listening to his bosses and doing what they tell him to do. With the upcoming law suits, the owners are trying to hedge their bet by over-legislating hits to the head. It's not as if they actually care about the players health; they are doing all this to protect their wallets - nothing else. Greed driven actions at their best.

Goldsteel86
08-18-2013, 01:26 PM
That's all well and good, until this style of play takes out a Steeler for the season. With the new rules made to skirt upcoming law suits, players now target the knees since they are afraid to hit anywhere near the head. Chances are, the Steelers will lose a starter for the season from a hit just like this one. And when that happens, it's going to suck, big time. How can Heath Miller even want to take the field with this going on?

Ummm, I think you answered your own question, it did happen to Heath Miller. So, Dustin Keller gets no sympathy from me!!!!

Goldsteel86
08-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Actually, Roger is just listening to his bosses and doing what they tell him to do. With the upcoming law suits, the owners are trying to hedge their bet by over-legislating hits to the head. It's not as if they actually care about the players health; they are doing all this to protect their wallets - nothing else. Greed driven actions at their best.

:banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: Are you a bureaucrat?????

pczach
08-18-2013, 01:31 PM
All the offenses have been trying to use TE to create mismatches on smaller guys. When smaller guys tackle bigger men, they hit them low. There's nothing sinister about it, it's the way defenders have been taught to take down bigger men since the game was invented. This stuff is going to happen.

Da Pimp
08-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Ummm, I think you answered your own question, it did happen to Heath Miller. So, Dustin Keller gets no sympathy from me!!!!

Now try to follow along. I know Heath blew his knee out, but how confident can he be to take the field as players are now going for the knees more and more? It's not right. But the greedy, dick owners are just trying to save their ass from losing law suits over concussed players, and that is why this is happening.

Da Pimp
08-18-2013, 01:41 PM
:banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: Are you a bureaucrat?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZRGcYEcxhI

Goldsteel86
08-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Now try to follow along. I know Heath blew his knee out, but how confident can he be to take the field as players are now going for the knees more and more? It's not right. But the greedy, dick owners are just trying to save their ass from losing law suits over concussed players, and that is why this is happening.

Now Sir, I agree with you there!!!!!

Atlanta Dan
08-18-2013, 01:53 PM

You mean the owners are most interested in protecting their own $$$$ and do not give a rat's a** about the health of the players except insofar as it impacts the team's financial bottom line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srw3RdiIlrQ

"Every time I say it's a game, you say it's a business. Every time I say it's a business you say it's a game," :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mpHW3SMcc

pczach
08-18-2013, 01:57 PM
You mean the owners are most interested in protecting their own $$$$ and do not give a rat's a** about the health of the players except insofar as it impacts the team's financial bottom line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srw3RdiIlrQ

"Every time I say it's a game, you say it's a business. Every time I say it's a business you say it's a game," :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mpHW3SMcc

Dan, I think you forgot to include your :sarcalert: .

You're welcome!

LVSteelersfan
08-18-2013, 02:14 PM
There have been a LOT of players getting injured with torn ACLs this year. So there is a lot of creedence to what the op says.

SteelReserve916
08-18-2013, 02:18 PM

QFT. However, I don't blame the NFL. If the NFLPA had demanded retirement benefits years ago, a lot of these lawsuits wouldn't even be in litigation.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2013, 06:17 PM
I think its a cop out. Keller had his back to the Defense, Swearinger could have easily taken a shot at the ribs of Keller and lit him up. DB's diving at guys knees always seemed like a cheap way out to me when guys are head up, but that hit could have been better by Swearinger.

I still agree that all the head shot hype has got guys aiming lower though, but more at the belt line, not the top of a guys socks.

Vis
08-18-2013, 06:34 PM
He should have aimed for where the ball was. Take him down and cause a fumble without the injury.

And wrong forum

Bayz101
08-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Moved to appropriate forum.

Atlanta Dan
08-18-2013, 09:11 PM
He should have aimed for where the ball was. Take him down and cause a fumble without the injury.

That would be the textbook move - high school player in Atlanta made it Friday night and was killed

De’Antre Turman, an 11th grader and cornerback for the Seminoles, died after being hurt on the Banneker High School field in College Park, the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office confirmed on Saturday.

Turman, 16, died of a broken neck later Friday night at Grady Memorial Hospital. The Medical Examiner’s Office said Turman’s death resulted from his neck vertebrae being broken “due to blunt force trauma.”...

Turman was one of the state’s top prospects for the 2015 class. Many colleges had planned on evaluating him this season. He got his first major-college scholarship offer in June from Kentucky...

“Tre broke on it, dislodged the ball and his body just went limp. (He) immediately just went limp and he was on the ground,” Ford said

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/high-school-football-player-dies-after-being-injur/nZRR2/

It's a dangerous game

Hawaii 5-0
08-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Dustin Keller (knee) out for Miami Dolphins' season

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Aug. 19, 2013

The Miami Dolphins expected the worst after Dustin Keller suffered a grisly right knee injury in Saturday's preseason loss to the Houston Texans.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport confirmed the inevitable Sunday, reporting that Keller will be lost for the entire season, according to a source informed of the injury. Specifically, Rapoport reported Keller tore his ACL, PCL, MCL and also dislocated his kneecap. That's similar to the string of injuries suffered by current 49ers running back Marcus Lattimore last October.

In an email sent to Rapoport on Sunday, Keller expressed his gratitude for all the support he's received from family and fans.

"I just want everyone to know that as disappointing as this is I don't want anybody feeling sorry for me," Keller wrote. "It's going to be a hard road back, but I promise I'm going to come back stronger, faster and be a better player than before.

"I'm very confident that my team is going to have a great season and even though I won't be on the field this year I am behind my guys 100%! More than anything, I'd like to thank all my family, friends and teammates for their prayers and support. I'm glad to have the support system in my life that I do."

The injury leaves a gaping hole in Miami's roster. The team was busy calling around for tight end help Sunday morning, according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero, but Keller's pass-catching ability won't be replaced.

He was brought in to give young quarterback Ryan Tannehill a sure-handed target underneath, one who would keep defenses honest and spring Mike Wallace free downfield. Now a combination of Charles Clay, Michael Egnew and rookie Dion Sims will attempt to fill Keller's shoes. Miami will be forced to realign its offensive approach through the air.

For Keller, it's a crushing blow after he signed a one-year contract this offseason, essentially betting on himself to produce a monster season in Miami. After witnessing his early chemistry with Tannehill, that seemed likely, but now the Dolphins are left to pick up the pieces.

With an injury of this magnitude, it's fair to wonder if and when Dustin Keller will play again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231458/article/dustin-keller-knee-out-for-miami-dolphins-season

Vis
08-19-2013, 05:46 AM
They have Wallace. They don't need anyone else.

Vis
08-19-2013, 05:54 AM
"The rules say you can’t hit high so I went low and I’m sorry that happened," Swearinger said. "I would think you’d rather have more concussions than leg injuries. Leg injury, you can’t come back from that. A concussion, you be back in a couple of weeks."

This tells you some players aren't educated on what concussions are.

Atlanta Dan
08-19-2013, 08:11 AM
They have Wallace. They don't need anyone else.

Agree the Dolphins have no worries - once Tebow is released by the Patriots he can fulfill his destiny by returning to a Florida team and playing tight end

IowaSteeler927
08-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Swearinger was doing his job the way the NFL wants him to do it. No more hits to the upper body (head/shoulder) area. Defensive players have to try and target specific points of an offensive players body to hit all the while running full bore down the field and not knowing how the offensive player is going to react once they are about to get hit.

Then there's the double standard. Offensive lineman can cut block below the waist and at the knees all game long and nobody makes a fuss of it. When you've got some 300+lb neanderthal cut blocking that's just as dangerous to a player's knees as the guys throwing hits. I outright hated when guys tried cut blocking me in high school. I think it's cheap and I don't think it should be part of the game. If you can't man up and block your guy one on one why is it that you can basically just go ahead and take a dive at his knees to block him instead?

I feel bad for Keller, but this issue happens on both sides of the ball. How are defensive players supposed to hit a guy anymore? Arm tackles don't work in the NFL, you can't hit up high, and you get crucified if you hit down low so you're just supposed to try and aim for the midsection and hope for the best? And why aren't defensive guys protected in the same manner? The best change in regards to protecting defensive players so far has been the Trent Richardson rule. Other than that the NFL hasn't done enough to balance things out and to protect their defensive players in the same manner as their coveted offensive players.