Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=100077)

Buddha Bus 08-29-2013 03:33 AM

Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart

Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart
By Jay Busbee | The Turnstile – 20 hours ago

Despite the best efforts of Congress and the shifting tides of fads, poker is still a thing, and the World Series of Poker remains one of the world's singular competitions (we won't say "sports"). Nowhere else can a dude come in literally — and we mean that in the classic sense of the term — off the street and defeat the sport's most notable pros.

Of course, anybody who's ever played poker is familiar with the bad beat, the moment when the cards that had been running in your favor turn horribly, irrevocably against you. Like parents, everybody's got some bad beat stories, and like your fantasy team, nobody else is interested in hearing those stories.

That said, this is a rugged one here. Carter Gill, playing in the World Series of Poker in a round televised Tuesday night, thought he was about to double his winnings. And as you can see from the stats above, he had a 93 percent chance of winning the hand. In poker terms, that's as close as you can get to a dead-solid lock.

(Read More:) http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-tu...120717845.html

__________________________________________________ _____________

"Break your heart"? I find it pretty amusing considering how smug he seemed. :chuckle:

teegre 08-29-2013 07:46 AM

Re: Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart

I've had a worse beat on a poker tournament.

I had a boat (three jacks, two queens)... but the guy across from me had a better full house (three queens, two jacks).

Now, THAT was heartbreaking.

Everyone at the table asked the dealer if they could give me a chip or two, just so that I could play one more hand. I turned it down (before the dealer even told them "No"), shook everyone's hand, and went swimming.

Buddha Bus 08-29-2013 01:27 PM

Re: Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegre (Post 1162739)

I had a boat (three jacks, two queens)... but the guy across from me had a better full house (three queens, two jacks).

Everyone at the table asked the dealer if they could give me a chip or two, just so that I could play one more hand. I turned it down (before the dealer even told them "No"), shook everyone's hand, and went swimming.

I've gotten beaten with a full house before too. Can't remember the actual cards I had though. My mind must be somehow unconsciously blocking the painful memory from itself. It may have been a four-of-a-kind that beat me.

teegre 08-29-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddha Bus (Post 1162840)
I've gotten beaten with a full house before too. Can't remember the actual cards I had though. My mind must be somehow unconsciously blocking the painful memory from itself. It may have been a four-of-a-kind that beat me.

Oh, I've had a full house, and been beaten by (obviously) bigger hands: four of a kind, straight-flush. That kind of beat I can accept.

I was beaten by the only hand (due to the cards on the table) that could have beaten me. :banging:

Vis 08-30-2013 08:26 AM

Are hearts and diamonds really so different?

SteelCityMom 09-01-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegre (Post 1162739)

My worst beat was in an Omaha game. Had quad 8's on the turn, other guy had a boat of 10's over 8's and of course a 10 came on the river. It boils my blood just to think about it.

teegre 09-02-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityMom (Post 1164350)
My worst beat was in an Omaha game. Had quad 8's on the turn, other guy had a boat of 10's over 8's and of course a 10 came on the river. It boils my blood just to think about it.

It's called "the river" for a reason. LOL (ugh)