Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steelers' Woodley insists role shouldn't change (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=100200)

Galax Steeler 09-05-2013 05:03 AM

Steelers' Woodley insists role shouldn't change

By Alan Robinson

Published: Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013, 11:06 p.m.
Updated 4 hours ago

LaMarr Woodley's stare-and-glare response answered the question before he did.

“Part-time player? I don't think so,” Woodley said Wednesday when asked if his playing time might be trimmed to accommodate rookie Jarvis Jones. “The only time I've been a part-time player is due to injuries these past two seasons. Other than that, no, I never have been.”

Still, the former Pro Bowl outside linebacker isn't certain how he will be used beginning Sunday, when the Steelers reveal how they will fit three players — Woodley, Jones and Jason Worilds — into two positions.

In the past, Woodley and James Harrison rarely came off the field, and they rank among the NFL's top 11 in sacks since Woodley's rookie season in 2007. Woodley is 11th with 52.

Harrison is gone, and Woodley's sack production dropped from 131⁄2 in 2009 to four in the last 11⁄2 seasons as he fought hamstring injuries and a high-ankle sprain.

The Steelers are determined to be disruptive and cause turnovers. As coordinator Dick LeBeau said, sacks cause turnovers. And the Steelers liked how Jones, their first-round draft pick, caused them repeatedly during the preseason.

On Tuesday, coach Mike Tomlin said, quite clearly, “Jones is going to play.”

Woodley agreed that Jones should be on the field.

“He's been doing a great job of being around the ball, making some big-time plays and helping the defense,” Woodley said. “Now he's got to continue to do that for the next 16 weeks.”

Worilds had five sacks despite starting only three games in 2012, and he and Woodley will start the opener against Tennessee.

“Everybody's got a role, and my job this week is not to start,” Jones said. “So I've got to come in there and make things happen when I can.”

But when Jones comes in, who goes out? And for how long?

During the third preseason game against Kansas City, Woodley and Worilds started, but after Jones came on the field, he rarely left. And given his recent injury history, the Steelers might want Woodley to take off the occasional series to remain fresh as Jones and Worilds play.

“It hasn't been like that in all the years I've been starting (since 2008), and I don't think it's going to be like that any time soon, but I guess we'll have to see on Sunday,” Woodley said.

Inside linebacker Larry Foote isn't accustomed to seeing much in-game shuffling on the outside.

“Through the past, the outside linebackers, they don't take it too lightly coming out,” Foote said.

Woodley, of course, doesn't want to come out at all, and he knows what he can do if he stays injury-free.

“It's not like I'm a new player in this defense,” Woodley said. “When it's time to go out there and play, I'm going to continue to do what I've always been doing, getting after the quarterbacks, doing a great job against the run. And when I'm dropping into coverage, doing good in my coverage responsibilities.”

To Woodley, it's difficult trying to do all that while playing part-time.

“Everybody knows,” he said, “what I can go out there and do.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2e0VhVM59
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

steelfury02 09-05-2013 12:24 PM

Re: Steelers' Woodley insists role shouldn't change

yup, go out there and play patty-cake

prove me wrong Woodley

tony hipchest 09-05-2013 12:36 PM

its almost mind boggling how so many fans of other teams like woodley so much more than steelerfans. every fan i have ever talked to about the subject said they would take woodley in a heartbeat on their team.

Fire Arians 09-05-2013 01:05 PM

wait for the woodendong report next monday if he doesn't get 5 sacks and 20 tackles.

tony hipchest 09-05-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 1166394)
wait for the woodendong report next monday if he doesn't get 5 sacks and 20 tackles.

even if he does, he will get blasted for "soft sacks" or garbage time sacks vs garbage opponents.

LVSteelersfan 09-05-2013 02:19 PM

Woodley is a beast. Take Foote out on passing downs. He is useless against anyone with bulk or speed. They are taking the wrong person out if they take Woodley out.

Fire Arians 09-05-2013 03:15 PM

the anual woodendong report for 2012 :rofl:

http://stillers.com/Article/View/581...5-d22fcfa96408

sloppyjoe 09-05-2013 03:46 PM

“The only time I've been a part-time player is due to being fat and out of shape these past two seasons. Other than that, no, I never have been.”
“He's been doing a great job of being around the ball, making some big-time plays and helping the defense,” Woodley said. “Now he's got to continue to do that for the next 16 weeks even though I havent played 16 games in quite some time"
“It's not like I'm a new player in this defense,” Woodley said. “When it's time to go out there and play, I'm going to try to do what I've done the first couple years in the league before I got the big payday. Now that I have someone that could take my job next year I'll have to get in shape and actually produce.

Steeldude 09-05-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1166377)
its almost mind boggling how so many fans of other teams like woodley so much more than steelerfans. every fan i have ever talked to about the subject said they would take woodley in a heartbeat on their team.

Because, like many of his fans here, they are enamored by a sack, not what makes a LB complete. Each time someone says something positive about Woodley it's to say he had a sack. For example, he had a sack in pre-season which led fans to say he is back...lol.

tanda10506 09-05-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeldude (Post 1166492)
Because, like many of his fans here, they are enamored by a sack, not what makes a LB complete. Each time someone says something positive about Woodley it's to say he had a sack. For example, he had a sack in pre-season which led fans to say he is back...lol.

LeBeau said he's the best coverage OLB that he's had, and he knows a thing or two. When he's healthy he's a beast, when he's injured he's ineffective, but that's pretty much any LB. If he continues to get injured then we can't afford to keep him in the long term, but as long as he stays healthy he will be back to his old form.

I still don't care much for the idea of Worilds starting and Woodley coming out other then for a quick breather.