Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   [Article] Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2 (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=100204)

Atlanta Dan 09-05-2013 07:47 AM

Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
"Science" proves what we already know - Steelers fan are manic after wins and very depressed after losses

The NFL's Most Unstable Fan Bases


Anyone who has seen the menacing, metal-stud-wearing fans in the Black Hole at Oakland's O.co Coliseum can attest that the Raiders have a volatile fan base. But would you believe that fans of the venerable Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots are almost as unstable?

Emory University professors Michael Lewis and Manish Tripathi monitored Twitter after games during the 2012 regular season and logged whether the tweets mentioning an NFL team in that team's hometown were positive or negative. They calculated ratios of positive to negative tweets for the three days following each win and loss to produce a fan volatility rating. The higher the number, the more unstable the fan base.

Raiders fans hate-tweeted their way to the title of most unstable base in the NFL, with an index of 47. Dallas, which finished the season with a mediocre 8-8 record, had the most stable fan base, with a score of 4.8. The Steelers and Patriots weren't far behind Oakland, with volatility ratings of 46.5 and 44, respectively.

The results, Tripathi said, could reflect fans' expectations. The Steelers, for instance, entered last season coming off a 12-4 record, but staggered to an 8-8 finish. The Patriots, three-time NFL champions in the 2000s, lost at home to Baltimore in the AFC title game.

On the other hand, Philadelphia, a team long associated with extreme fan reactions, seemed to deflate outrage after dropping to 3-3 with an Oct. 14 loss to Detroit. The Eagles lost nine of their next 10 games, but their fans finished the season with a tranquil volatility score of 6.9, making them the league's third-most stable base.

"My gut tells me that their expectations changed after the first few games," Tripathi said. "They started caring about the next season more than what's happening right now."


http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...0904201002.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...963796698.html

GBMelBlount 09-05-2013 08:00 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
Steelers fans are very passionate.

Dallas = Apathy.

Vis 09-05-2013 08:03 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
The crazy ones tweet more

steelax04 09-05-2013 08:07 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
If Eagles fans used twitter like they do their phone into WIP (local radio station) they would have ran away with the top spot.

VaDave 09-05-2013 08:42 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GBMelBlount (Post 1166306)
Steelers fans are very passionate.

.

They are also the most whiney, unappreciative, un understanding, and impatient fans in the league. Superbowl victories are their birthright, and when they don't get one, they can't deal with it in a rational manner.

Everybody sucks. Head coach can't motivate a 5 string rookie offensive tackle and a corner brought in off the street to play like all pros, so he sucks. The DC, with a top 5 D is senile. An injured QB, playing when he should be sitting out is vilified because he can't play as well as he did before the injury. We have a weekly game time Chinese fire drill on the OL, so therefore our running backs suck. On and On and On...

The outpouring of angst over last years 8-8 was totally beyond absurd. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is a team ( despite vehement denials from the FO) in full rebuilding mode and has been since 2010. Sorry, when you replace 15-16 players a year for 3 years, it's rebuilding, not reloading.

Folks, It tikes time, seasons to rebuild. And like most teams that go through this process, losses come, and you deal with it. Players come and go. Some settle in and play well, some move on. Eventually, the right combination will show up.

For heavens sake Steeler Nation LIGHTEN UP!!!

GBMelBlount 09-05-2013 08:49 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VaDave (Post 1166320)
They are also the most whiney, unappreciative, un understanding, and impatient fans in the league. Superbowl victories are their birthright, and when they don't get one, they can't deal with it in a rational manner.

Everybody sucks. Head coach can't motivate a 5 string rookie offensive tackle and a corner brought in off the street to play like all pros, so he sucks. The DC, with a top 5 D is senile. An injured QB, playing when he should be sitting out is vilified because he can't play as well as he did before the injury. We have a weekly game time Chinese fire drill on the OL, so therefore our running backs suck. On and On and On...

The outpouring of angst over last years 8-8 was totally beyond absurd. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is a team ( despite vehement denials from the FO) in full rebuilding mode and has been since 2010. Sorry, when you replace 15-16 players a year for 3 years, it's rebuilding, not reloading.

Folks, It tikes time, seasons to rebuild. And like most teams that go through this process, losses come, and you deal with it. Players come and go. Some settle in and play well, some move on. Eventually, the right combination will show up.

For heavens sake Steeler Nation LIGHTEN UP!!!

You sound very passionate about this. :wink02:

VaDave 09-05-2013 08:58 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
Not really..... I've never been a big fan of mass hysteria...

GBMelBlount 09-05-2013 09:03 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VaDave (Post 1166324)
Not really..... I've never been a big fan of mass hysteria...

You screamed at the end of your post.

I felt your passion.

tony hipchest 09-05-2013 09:19 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VaDave (Post 1166320)

Everybody sucks. Head coach can't motivate a 5 string rookie offensive tackle and a corner brought in off the street to play like all pros, so he sucks. The DC, with a top 5 D is senile. An injured QB, playing when he should be sitting out is vilified because he can't play as well as he did before the injury. We have a weekly game time Chinese fire drill on the OL, so therefore our running backs suck. On and On and On...

LIGHTEN UP!!!

dont forget our front office and all their suspect moves and the scouting department that needs to change.

oh and fire the conditioning coaches and impliment a training regimen for woodley et al.

Men of Steel 09-05-2013 09:24 AM

Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2
 
[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 1166302)
"Science" proves what we already know - Steelers fan are manic after wins and very depressed after losses

The NFL's Most Unstable Fan Bases

[I]

The results, Tripathi said, could reflect fans' expectations. The Steelers, for instance, entered last season coming off a 12-4 record, but staggered to an 8-8 finish.

Steelers barely miss playoffs... and then we begin talking about the stupidest things... such as, but not limited to, Mike Tomlins 1,000 yard gaze :doh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum