Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Game Reporter (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Week 3 Gameday Thread: Bears @ Steelers 9/22/2013 (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=100591)

ricardisimo 09-22-2013 03:45 PM

Week 3 Gameday Thread: Bears @ Steelers 9/22/2013

Game 3 matchup: Steelers vs. Bears

September 22, 2013 12:24 am
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
When the Bears have the ball: Marc Trestman was brought in for one reason: Turn Jay Cutler into the winning QB the Bears hoped he would be. In two games, Cutler has rallied the Bears to victory in the fourth quarter. Trestman is trying to get him to be more consistent, and Cutler has done a good job of getting the ball out quicker or stepping up to avoid pressure. He also has a number of tall receivers, most notably Brandon Marshall (6-5, 230), who is a matchup problem because of his size and speed. He will be shadowed by CB Ike Taylor, who held A.J. Green to six catches for 41 yards Monday night. Wide receiver Alshon Jeffery (6-3, 216), TE Martellus Bennett (6-6, 265) and RB Matt Forte (6-2, 218) are starters who also provide big targets for Cutler. Forte is one of the most complete backs in the league. He leads the team in rushing (140 yards), is tied for the team lead in catches (15) and appears to do everything well. The Bears have four new starters on the offensive line, including two rookies on the right side -- tackle Kyle Long and guard Jordan Mills.

When the Steelers have the ball: Even with a new coordinator (Mel Tucker), the Bears' defensive schemes are largely unchanged. They still try to pressure the pocket with their defensive line, especially DE Julius Peppers, and aggressively play the ball with Pro Bowl CBs Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings. Peppers has 1111/2 sacks since 2002, third most in the league. But the Bears have just two sacks in two games and have not had much pressure on the pocket. Meantime, Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked seven times. Tillman had two INTs in the opener against the Bengals and has 35 for his career, including a club-record eight for touchdowns. Jennings has an INT, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. The heart of the defense, though, is outside linebacker Lance Briggs, 32, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection in his 11th season with the team. He is filling the emotional and leadership role left vacant by the departure of Brian Urlacher.

Keep an eye on:
K Robbie Gould ... He is the third most accurate kicker in NFL history, having converted 210 of 245 field-goal attempts (85.7 percent), including 11 in a row from 50 yards or longer. That streak ties an NFL record. Gould, a Penn State graduate, had a franchise-long 58-yarder in the season opener against the Bengals. With 915 career points, Gould ranks second in team history behind Kevin Butler (1,116).

Intangibles
The Bears have come back in the fourth quarter to win their first two games against Cincinnati and Minnesota, showing resiliency. But this is their first game on the road. They have lost four of their past five games, including three in a row, in Pittsburgh. Their only game in Heinz Field was a 21-9 defeat in December 2005. The Bears and Steelers have been playing since 1934, with Chicago holding a 20-7-1 edge. However, the series is split 5-5 since 1971. The Steelers and Bears have never met in a prime-time game. The Steelers have not started 0-3 since the 2000 season. That is also the last time they lost their first two games at home.

To win, the Bears must ...
1. Get a big day from Jay. Cutler is completing 68 percent of his passes and has two fourth-quarter comebacks in two games.
2. Apply Pepper(s) to their (Roethlis)burger. The sack-happy defensive end will create a busy day for LT Mike Adams.
3. Play tall ball. Cutler will try to create mismatches with any number of their big receivers down the field.

To win, the Steelers must ...
1. Brand Marshall. He will be a priority for the Steelers secondary and, in particular, Ike Taylor, who traditionally gets the opposition's top receiver.
2. Nix the picks. Tillman and Jennings are a pair of ball-hawking corners who challenge throws and go for the interception.
3. Guard the Fort(e). The Bears running back does everything well and is the stabilizing force of the offense.

SteelCurtain5643 09-22-2013 06:29 PM

Re: Week 3 Gameday Thread: Bears @ Steelers 9/22/2013

Heath back tonight, cinci cleveland and baltimore all won today so we really need this tonight, cant afford 0-3. Please for god sake get a W tonight. LETS GO STEELERS!!! :tt03:

harrison'samonster 09-22-2013 06:33 PM

let's get a win! Let's go Steelers!

Atlanta Dan 09-22-2013 06:37 PM

NBC pregame

Hines says "offensive line is terrible"

Ron Cook says the trouble is Arians got fired when he was filmed by NBC - no mention by Cook of his recent column sucking up to Haley :banging:

SteelerFaninCO 09-22-2013 06:40 PM

I'll need to rely on you all to keep me posted since my freaking dish is losing signal during a severe thunderstorm. Thanks in advance.

Atlanta Dan 09-22-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelerFaninCO (Post 1180145)
I'll need to rely on you all to keep me posted since my freaking dish is losing signal during a severe thunderstorm. Thanks in advance.

Game feed is on MSNBC internet if storm continues

zcoop 09-22-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 1180143)
NBC pregame

Hines says "offensive line is terrible"

Ron Cook says the trouble is Arians got fired when he was filmed by NBC - no mention by Cook of his recent column sucking up to Haley :banging:

Hines also thought the Arians firing was a bust and contributes to our current state. When you fire, bring in an improvement, not the status quo or worst.

SteelerFaninCO 09-22-2013 07:03 PM

Thanks, the storm was fierce but fast.

casteeler 09-22-2013 07:10 PM

Welcome back Heath?I wanna see this team get back to its winning ways!:tt02:

Atlanta Dan 09-22-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcoop (Post 1180152)
Hines also thought the Arians firing was a bust and contributes to our current state. When you fire, bring in an improvement, not the status quo or worst.

I noted that - of course Hines was not saying that last year when I guess Ward was still mad at Arians for demoting his role in the 2011 offense

Well, sometimes I think when you get so close, partiality sets it, and you don’t know if Bruce Arians is doing what’s best for the Steelers or if he’s doing what’s best for Ben Roethlisberger. And I think that set in. And they had to part ways, because when you go out there and you can’t decide what’s best for the team, and you’re doing what’s best for the player, sometimes it can be a problem.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/10/23...medium=twitter