Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Blast Furnace (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The view from the bottom.... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=100769)

UK CANDY BEE 09-30-2013 06:45 AM

The view from the bottom....

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones; so let it be with Caesar.

Julius Caesar - Act 3, Scene 2

I am not sure which I enjoyed more... watching the Browns put on a tremendous defensive show to beat the Bengals... or seeing the Vikings send the Steelers to 0 - 4.

All I know is that when you put the two together, along with the Buckeyes victory Saturday night, it made for an outstanding weekend !! :drink:

I would be lying if I said I was not loving the current Pittsburgh winless streak, but just as Ceasar's death was likely beneficial to the freedoms of Rome and its people, perhaps the demise of the Steelers this season may actually benefit their fans by giving them something they rarely exhibit.... this being humility.

Now you all get to see who the true fans of your team are.... and who are the bandwagon jumpers. Blind and blathering faith does not a true fan make, but instead careful criticism and patience will eventually...and sometimes it is not quick in coming... be rewarded.

As you all are keenly aware.... not to mention have long enjoyed.... the Browns have been a parade of pointlessness for a long time. But it has made us... their fanbase.... strong as well as grateful for when the misery ends. It remains to be seen whether or not that ending will come soon, but one thing is certain... Pittsburgh's misery is only beginning.

....and while you folks and I will likely never see much of anything eye to eye on things Brown & Orange or Black & Yellow (sorry, but it is not gold).... even though I am enjoying your displeasure and discomfort .... I do not wish for it to reach the level or extreme that we have endured....

...I could not wish that on anyone !!

maddog78 09-30-2013 07:05 AM

Re: The view from the bottom....

Yeah, it sucks feeling this way. How have you dealt with it the last 30 years? We could use some advice.

UK CANDY BEE 09-30-2013 07:26 AM

For the record, it has not been "30 years"..... 25 years ago, the Browns were among the league's best teams...and the Steelers were lousy.

...but I digress....

It is a completely helpless feeling...

... you want to feel confident, but instead are relegated to mere hope.

Because your team on the field is giving little or nothing to be confident about.

The more you know and understand about the game, the better equipped you are to deal with this feeling... at least that has always been my view.

But I sometimes think that maybe the complete football idiot is TRULY in the best position to endure, because they don't really comprehend all the reasons the team is so bad, they just root for whomever they see in the jersey and leave it at that. Therefore, maybe they don't feel it so deeply.... there is no confidence to be shaken because they don't come at it from a perspective of understanding and confidence, it is ALL just hope...... and we can hope for anything.

I prefer to take the more informed course.... that way, at least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel when it finally shows up.... then again, sometimes it is just a mirage....

Confounding Factor 09-30-2013 07:32 AM

Hubris much? Conflating Shakespeare and Steelers.

Oh you're a Browns fan? Best tragedy he never wrote.

There are only tears in the Browns stadium

maddog78 09-30-2013 07:46 AM

Yeah, my bad, 25 years.

Two playoff appearances.

Both losses to the Steelers.

You're right, our misery is beginning, but history shows it will be short-lived. Since the salary cap/FA era began, the Steelers have never missed the playoffs more than 3 straight years, and have only had a handful of losing seasons. That's because our ownership doesn't panic and rebuild every two years.

AgentGold007 09-30-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK CANDY BEE (Post 1188235)
"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones; so let it be with Caesar.

Julius Caesar - Act 3, Scene 2

I am not sure which I enjoyed more... watching the Browns put on a tremendous defensive show to beat the Bengals... or seeing the Vikings send the Steelers to 0 - 4.

All I know is that when you put the two together, along with the Buckeyes victory Saturday night, it made for an outstanding weekend !! :drink:

I would be lying if I said I was not loving the current Pittsburgh winless streak, but just as Ceasar's death was likely beneficial to the freedoms of Rome and its people, perhaps the demise of the Steelers this season may actually benefit their fans by giving them something they rarely exhibit.... this being humility.

Now you all get to see who the true fans of your team are.... and who are the bandwagon jumpers. Blind and blathering faith does not a true fan make, but instead careful criticism and patience will eventually...and sometimes it is not quick in coming... be rewarded.

As you all are keenly aware.... not to mention have long enjoyed.... the Browns have been a parade of pointlessness for a long time. But it has made us... their fanbase.... strong as well as grateful for when the misery ends. It remains to be seen whether or not that ending will come soon, but one thing is certain... Pittsburgh's misery is only beginning.

....and while you folks and I will likely never see much of anything eye to eye on things Brown & Orange or Black & Yellow (sorry, but it is not gold).... even though I am enjoying your displeasure and discomfort .... I do not wish for it to reach the level or extreme that we have endured....

...I could not wish that on anyone !!

Lol. Who in the blue hell are you and when is the parade? Please don't tell me that you're up this early in the morning looking to get admiration from us Steeler fans for your Clowns two victories? :rofl: Your team won a game and all you can think about is the Steelers? Lmao! Winning must be new to you. True indeed, the Brownstains have outperformed the Steelers thus far this season, but no one here will ever live in envy of the Cleveland Brownstains Part II. The Steelers may be down and out right now, but I would never trade my life as a Steelers fan for that of a Cleveland Clowns fan. So enjoy your two victories and the subsequent parade that you apparently seem to think comes with it. :tt04:

SteelHaven 09-30-2013 09:25 AM

Congratulations!! :applaudit:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...-win-prize.jpg

WVABE 09-30-2013 09:46 AM

:applaudit:

:rofl:

:jerkit:

steelfury02 09-30-2013 10:04 AM

To paraphrase one of the Capos:
"This has to happen every so often - gets rid of the bad blood."

Some people are jumping off the bandwagon and that's fine by me - I have some fair weather Steelers fans I know of down here in MD and I put them on notice that they don't just get to jump on so easily when we rise to dominance again :chuckle:

SteelCityMom 09-30-2013 10:06 AM

I can't believe it took 4 weeks for a Brownie fan to puff his chest out on here. Enjoy the limited limelight I guess.