Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Feedback & Support (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why does it matter? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=100949)

gloydfan 10-12-2013 08:47 PM

Why does it matter?

I've never started a thread so forgive me if I don't do something right.I was reading a thread about why Tomlin is not under the microscope or critized by the media. Then I agree, it became more about BB, so it was closed. I've seen quite a few threads closed for similar reasons. Why is that? What does it hurt to have multiple threads about the same subject? One could say the forum is only about "The Steelers", so there should only be one thread. No offense to anyone intended. I simply don't understand why it matters. Could someone please enlighten me?

fer522 10-12-2013 09:31 PM

Re: Why does it matter?

BowCatShot 10-12-2013 09:31 PM

It only matters to those who are drunk with power.

Kobethecat 10-12-2013 09:56 PM

Whoever closed the post failed to understand that a former post about Tomlin being overrated and a later one about why Tomlin doesn't seem to catch any blame aren't the same topic.

GBMelBlount 10-12-2013 10:23 PM

Because apparently Samuel L. Jackson says so. :toofunny:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fer522 (Post 1194696)

ricardisimo 10-12-2013 10:35 PM

Threads get closed for the same reason that threads (like this one) get moved. These forums need to be maintained. It's not hard work, but it's work all the same, and contrary to popular opinion there is no sense of power or privilege involved. It just needs to be done. If every thread were allowed to becone every other thread, there would be only one thread. Searching the forums would be pointless.

The Ben Sucks crowd would drown out the Troy is God crowd and the Fire Haley crowd and so on. Pretty much anything anyone else might want to do would be derailed and ultimately pointless, because Ben sucks, can't you see that? How stupid are you that you can't see that? Yadda-yadda and so on.

That a barebones structure is maintained is what allows eveyone to do, read and say what they want here.

tony hipchest 10-12-2013 11:26 PM

that is a great question and I am glad you asked.

say for example the steelers lose to the jets this weekend, there will be at least 40 posters fighting the urge to post a thread saying that the steelers suck and then offer their own particular (and often misguided, off base) reasons why.

the last thing the most visited steelers fan forum on the internet needs is 40 separate threads saying why the steelers suck.

It is really that simple.

goto any patriots or colts message board n you are sure to find a debate thread about who better.... Peyton manning or tom brady.

If you allow every newb to start beating the same dead horse in their very own thread asking the same question you will have a thousand redundant posts saying the same damn thing.

It is all part of forum management. It is important to keep the board as streamlined as possible. As farfetched as it may seem to kobecat, the majority don't want to see or argue about the same damn thing, every day in every thread.

Many people who come to this board are interested in new news , new perspectives, and new debates.

If you want to dig up buried bones, please use the search feature.

Personally, I don't need a bunch of 19 year olds telling me if we should have kept cowher or not, 7 years after the fact.

tony hipchest 10-12-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobethecat (Post 1194704)
Whoever closed the post failed to understand that a former post about Tomlin being overrated and a later one about why Tomlin doesn't seem to catch any blame aren't the same topic.

whoever started the thread fail to understand that many respectable boards teqire members to have at least 50 quality posts before they are even granted the privilege to start a new thread.:noidea:

one can feel free to ponder the meaning of life and the false premise of why Tomlin isn't under the microscope on Facebook.

or one can feel free to offer their insight in one of the 20 other threads stating that Tomlin is giving preferential treatment because he is black.
take your pick.:tt04:

tony hipchest 10-12-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowCatShot (Post 1194697)
It only matters to those who are drunk with power.

...and those who aren't drunk with stupid.:drink:

Buddha Bus 10-13-2013 07:33 AM

The mods here do a nice job of keeping the clutter down. I don't want to wade through 8 threads on the exact same topic to find something new, interesting, or informative.

If every person here was just allowed to blurt out any thought they chose to as it's own thread regardless if it's already being discussed, this place would be a mess.

You could look at the flipside of the argument and say, why have discussion threads at all? Why not just let everyone post their own random thought as it's own thread and anyone who wants to respond can do so by posting the response as it's own thread?

Get it? It would be chaos and an unorganized garbage heap. Who'd want to be a part of that? Not this guy.