Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The irony about building a complete football team (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=101160)

Gnutella 10-28-2013 10:06 PM

The irony about building a complete football team

If there's one irony about building a complete football team, it's that it's easier to build a complete team around a franchise QB than it is to find a franchise QB for an otherwise complete team. Just remember that the next time anybody considers trading Ben Roethlisberger to be a worthwhile endeavor. If those people had their way, the Steelers would be built like the Texans: a complete team without a QB, and no legitimate chance at winning a championship. The Steelers have already experienced that dilemma themselves, during the 1990's and early 2000's.

The QB is the most important position on a football team by far, and the most difficult to find. If you have a proven winner at QB, you keep him and you rebuild around him, like the Broncos did with John Elway. I don't want to hear about Joe Montana or Brett Favre either, because they were replaced by Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. I don't see a QB of their caliber on the Steelers bench. Commit to Roethlisberger with a contract extension; make him the centerpiece of the team, and get back to the playoffs by 2015 at the latest.

zcoop 10-28-2013 10:46 PM

Re: The irony about building a complete football team

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnutella (Post 1202993)
If there's one irony about building a complete football team, it's that it's easier to build a complete team around a franchise QB than it is to find a franchise QB for an otherwise complete team. Just remember that the next time anybody considers trading Ben Roethlisberger to be a worthwhile endeavor. If those people had their way, the Steelers would be built like the Texans: a complete team without a QB, and no legitimate chance at winning a championship. The Steelers have already experienced that dilemma themselves, during the 1990's and early 2000's.

The QB is the most important position on a football team by far, and the most difficult to find. If you have a proven winner at QB, you keep him and you rebuild around him, like the Broncos did with John Elway. I don't want to hear about Joe Montana or Brett Favre either, because they were replaced by Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. I don't see a QB of their caliber on the Steelers bench. Commit to Roethlisberger with a contract extension; make him the centerpiece of the team, and get back to the playoffs by 2015 at the latest.

You may not want to hear it, but teams win games. No part is greater than the whole. Young, Rogers, Earl Morrall, Flacco, Kapernek, the list could go on. While the QB position is the central point, it can't win without the rest of the parts. Dan Marino and many others are testament to that. BTW: If Elway didn't have TD carrying the rock, he don't win those two SBs.

Football is and will always be a TEAM sport, at least for the winners.

tony hipchest 10-28-2013 10:52 PM

If TD doesn't have elway throwing to the likes of Sharpe, smith, and McCaffrey, TD NEVER even sniffs the playoffs, let alone 2000 yds.

Bubby brister may have been good for a month but wasnt leading that team to a championship

zcoop 10-28-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1203004)
If TD doesn't have elway throwing to the likes of Sharpe, smith, and McCaffrey, TD NEVER even sniffs the playoffs, let alone 2000 yds.

Bubby brister may have been good for a month but wasnt leading that team to a championship

That's the point I'm making, they had a very good team of players which allowed them to win.

tony hipchest 10-28-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcoop (Post 1203006)
That's the point I'm making, they had a very good team of players which allowed them to win.

exactly. They had a bunch of good players. But only one of them is a first ballot Hall of Famer.John Elway is considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. At least top 10. Terrell Davis would have as many Superbowl rings as Barry Sanders without John Elway.just ask Jake Plummer.

Atlanta Dan 10-28-2013 11:06 PM

The trick is to hit the jackpot on a QB in the draft and for that matter draft well to have a complete team

On the Monday night game they showed a graphic that Seattle has 0.6% of its cap space tied up in Russell Wilson and 7 or 8 starters making less than $1 million per year. Rams had to pay Bradford under the old system and he is 10% of their cap space

The ESPN crew said the window closes on Seattle when all that young talent gets paid

Once the franchise QB qualifies for his 9 figure contract you need to draft well to have surrounding players or eventually enter cap hell by having older players restructure

Which is why you will never see a 70s Steelers or 80s 49ers team again that wins a bunch of rings with the same core - Steelers being competitive from 2004-2010 is impressive in this era, but not having to pay Ben initially helped a lot

But you cannot win in the playoffs without a QB so that is who gets paid

zcoop 10-28-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1203010)
exactly. They had a bunch of good players. But only one of them is a first ballot Hall of Famer.John Elway is considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. At least top 10. Terrell Davis would have as many Superbowl rings as Barry Sanders without John Elway.just ask Jake Plummer.

There is some truth that, but Elway took 13 years to win those SBs and he did not until they had the TEAM around him. In my opinion, Dan Marino was one of greatest to play the position but didn't have that winning combination of teammates around him. He's a HOF but without a ring.

GBMelBlount 10-28-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 1203011)
The trick is to hit the jackpot on a QB in the draft and for that matter draft well to have a complete team

On the Monday night game they showed a graphic that Seattle has 0.6% of its cap space tied up in Russell Wilson and 7 or 8 starters making less than $1 million per year. Rams had to pay Bradford under the old system and he is 10% of their cap space

The ESPN crew said the window closes on Seattle when all that young talent gets paid

Once the franchise QB qualifies for his 9 figure contract you need to draft well to have surrounding players or eventually enter cap hell by having older players restructure

Which is why you will never see a 70s Steelers or 80s 49ers team again that wins a bunch of rings with the same core - Steelers being competitive from 2004-2010 is impressive in this era, but not having to pay Ben initially helped a lot

But you cannot win in the playoffs without a QB so that is who gets paid

Exactly what happened with the Steelers.

SteelersCanada 10-28-2013 11:33 PM

If we're in a position to draft Bridgewater or Mariota, Roethlisberger is expendable. I very much doubt we get either of those guys though unfortunately.

kan_t 10-28-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1203020)
If we're in a position to draft Bridgewater or Mariota, Roethlisberger is expendable. I very much doubt we get either of those guys though unfortunately.

It's debatable. I still prefer Jake Matthews. But I agree with you that those QBs are likely gone before the Steelers pick so the point is moot. Bucs, Jags, Vikings and Browns all need a QB. The Steelers are bad, but not bad enough.