Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fire Tomlin? Be careful for what you wish (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=101163)

steelfury02 10-29-2013 07:23 AM

Fire Tomlin? Be careful for what you wish

This is for all you yinzers. How easily you forget a similar atmosphere only a decade ago. Stability = success and no NFL team understands this like the Pittsburgh Steelers. Read and then follow the link. Provides a nice reminder of what fans were calling for before the 04' season. After that, come back with why you still think Tomlin should go . . .

Fire Tomlin? Be careful for what you wish
Bob Smizik

The knee-jerk reaction of some fans to any downturn in the success of the team they root for is to fire the coach/manager and/or fire the general manager. In some cases, the Tampa Bay Bucs, for example, that response might be understandable.

But when that kind of talk focuses around the Steelers, it makes no sense.

Mike Tomlin is in his seventh season as coach of the Steelers. During his first six full seasons, he not only never had a losing record, but he went to the playoffs four times, to the Super Bowl twice and won the Super Bowl once.

And spare me the nonsense that he did it with another man’s players. He did it with his team and that’s all that can be asked of a coach. If in-game coaching strategy is important, and the comment sections after every loss indicates that it is, then Tomlin deserves quite a bit credit for the successes of his teams. Just as he deserves blame for the lack of success of this team.

The notion that general manager Kevin Colbert should be fired is even more ridiculous. Since becoming GM in 2000, Colbert has built highly successful rosters that have gone to three Super Bowls and won two of them.

Does anyone seriously believe the Steelers definitely are going to find better men at their jobs than Tomlin and Colbert?

Remember the almost universal demand that Bruce Arians be fired as offensive coordinator? How has that worked out?

The next eight paragraphs are taken from a column I wrote for the Post-Gazette almost a decade ago in response to some unhappiness about the work of Bill Cowher. I repeat it now because it proves the same point it did in the July, 2004. Here it is with some of the coaching records updated:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201310290135

teegre 10-29-2013 07:27 AM

Re: Fire Tomlin? Be careful for what you wish

Sooo... fire Cowher? :noidea:

steelfury02 10-29-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegre (Post 1203122)
Sooo... fire Cowher? :noidea:

you've come back from the past haven't you?

Kordell told me where you're going, you don't need roads . . .

TheWarDen86 10-29-2013 07:37 AM

Great message, but it'll fall on many deaf ears.

teegre 10-29-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelfury02 (Post 1203126)
you've come back from the past haven't you?

Kordell told me where you're going, you don't need roads . . .

Kordell??? I think that it's spelled B-u-b-b-y.

milehighsteeler 10-29-2013 08:10 AM

Firing Tomlin ain't the answer. Need consistency in the trenches. Maybe a playmaker or two on the outside wouldn't hurt either

casteeler 10-29-2013 08:15 AM

Maybe not Fire him but how bout a demotion:noidea:

maddog78 10-29-2013 08:27 AM

These articles will become more infrequent as the next few years unfold. Barring a miraculous turnaround, this team is going to miss the playoffs for the 3rd time in five seasons, two in a row. It's also trending towards something we haven't seen since 1988 - a five win season.

Both lines are a mess, we have one (we hope) starter capable running back, a #1 WR that probably should be a #2, and a bunch of #3's or lower.

Our franchise QB is aging and taking more hits than ever, and looks skittish because of it. Our best defensive player, who is having a pretty good year and looks more like the Troy of old, will be 33 next year. Ike will be 34.

In short, I don't see this getting fixed in one offseason.

IowaSteeler927 10-29-2013 08:32 AM

Well said! Tomlin isn't the issue. Injuries, inconsistent offensive line play, terrible playcalling, and star players getting older are our main issues just to name a few. We need continuity and firing Tomlin right now would only set us back and put us in a more difficult situation than we are already in right now. I can see firing Todd Haley because his offensive schemes have left much to be desired after a season and a half of the offense being ran under his tutelage. Tomlin though has been an excellent Head Coach thus far and he doesn't deserve to be fired at this point. IF we end up with a losing season, it'd be his first, and we have some promising youth on this football team that's only going to grow and get better with time and experience. Let Tomlin, Colbert, and the rest of the organization do their thing and we'll be back to playoff caliber football. People have got to accept the fact that you're not going to win every single season. There are good times, and bad times for every team.

JewniorGong 10-29-2013 09:21 AM

If young defensive players and o linemen start proving they can be trusted and built around for a winning team, I'll change my tune. But for now, no can do