Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cortez Allen Also demoted (Gay promoted) (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=101168)

NJarhead 10-29-2013 12:32 PM

Cortez Allen Also demoted (Gay promoted)

I wonder how long this lasts...

Quote:

According to steelers.com, veteran William Gay has returned to the top of the Steelers depth chart opposite Ike Taylor.

By officially demoting Cortez Allen, the same day they demoted Jarvis Jones, the Steelers are aiming to fix problems from the Oakland game by getting older and slower. Err, I mean, more experienced? It is never a good sign for a 2-5 team to replace two young players that you are supposed to build around with two older players who might each be in their last season with the team.

William Gay has been a consistent performer, and is having a very good season worthy of being named the starter. Unlike with Jason Worilds, it could be argued that the consistent play of the veteran led to the younger player's demotion. However, the Steelers were confident enough in Cortez Allen to let Keenan Lewis walk without offering much of a fight to keep him. Lewis has played rather well in an improved New Orleans defense, while Allen's only big play of the year came on a ball that literally fell into his hands in a loss to Oakland.

While Gay certainly deserves the starting role based on his play, the Steelers depth chart is getting older, which is a move in the wrong direction for a team heading for a long final 9 games.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ing-nfl-week-9

Buddha Bus 10-29-2013 12:38 PM

Re: Cortez Allen Also demoted (Gay promoted)

About as long as it takes the Gay bashers to grab their pitchforks and light their torches. http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20..._Starfeesh.gif

NJarhead 10-29-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddha Bus (Post 1203292)
About as long as it takes the Gay bashers to grab their pitchforks and light their torches. http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20..._Starfeesh.gif

haha "Gay Bashers."

I think he was where he should be, but now, if he screws up, I'll be sending my gripes Tomlin's way.

Buddha Bus 10-29-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 (Post 1203293)
haha "Gay Bashers."

I think he was where he should be, but now, if he screws up, I'll be sending my gripes Tomlin's way.

I agree, but Allen hasn't been very good and Curtis Brown is injured I believe. Do we want the position manned by Antwon Blake or Isaiah Green? No other real options unless you play Shamarko or Golden at CB.

SteelersCanada 10-29-2013 12:50 PM

This happened after the Vikings game. Allen has since picked his game up significantly. In fact, I was surprised he wasn't the starter in the Raiders game.

Gay has exceeded expectations, but when those expectations are "Oh god Gay don't fuck this up" it's not hard to.

NJarhead 10-29-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddha Bus (Post 1203298)
I agree, but Allen hasn't been very good and Curtis Brown is injured I believe. Do we want the position manned by Antwon Blake or Isaiah Green? No other real options unless you play Shamarko or Golden at CB.

I honestly hadn't noticed anything but an improvement (with CA) since week 4.

I agree, there are no other options, but I don't think this lasts. He's given nothing up over the top (Gay nearly did and has in the past and Ike did as well this year). Let him develop. It's not like he's keeping us from winning the division.

Fire Arians 10-29-2013 12:54 PM

started from the bottom now we here, started from the bottom now the whole team fuckin' here :chuckle:

Buddha Bus 10-29-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 (Post 1203301)
I honestly hadn't noticed anything but an improvement (with CA) since week 4.

I agree, there are no other options, but I don't think this lasts. He's given nothing up over the top (Gay nearly did and has in the past and Ike did as well this year). Let him develop. It's not like he's keeping us from winning the division.

I'm not ready to throw Allen away, I just haven't been overly impressed with him either. I liked what I saw out of Keenan Lewis more.

Here's to hoping he impresses enough to wrestle the position away from Gay in the very near future. :drink:

OX1947 10-29-2013 01:00 PM

William is here, he is Gay, get use to it.

NJarhead 10-29-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddha Bus (Post 1203307)
I'm not ready to throw Allen away, I just haven't been overly impressed with him either. I liked what I saw out of Keenan Lewis more.

Here's to hoping he impresses enough to wrestle the position away from Gay in the very near future. :drink:

Keenan took a few seasons to settle down. I was always high on him. He played with a chip on his shoulder (major attitude early on). Definitely would have liked to keep him.

I guess the thought was Cortez was the more talented (or at least for the price) so I went along with it. He showed a very concentrated effort on that pick against Cincy last year too. Can't be easy to be the guy teams throw to (in staying away from Ike). He hasn't made any "wow" plays, but neither have the guys he's been covering.

:drink: