Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Black Friday Horror Stories (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=101525)

JonM229 11-25-2013 09:26 AM

Black Friday Horror Stories

So I've been glued to reading this thread on Reddit where retail employees are retelling some Black Friday horror stories. As awful and depressing as some are, I can't stop reading them. Does anybody have any Black Friday horror stories of their own to share?

I've personally never gone shopping on Black Friday, it's never appealed to me. I have gone to a large mall just outside of Chicago a few days before Christmas and it was packed, but the people were well behaved, expect for the clothes strewn about all over the department stores.

SteelCityMom 11-25-2013 09:49 AM

Re: Black Friday Horror Stories

I've never gone shopping on Black Friday before either. About 10 years ago though, when I was managing at the Subway in the mall in our area (it was inside the mall), I worked through the entire Christmas season. I didn't mind it when I was there, it was packed from start to close and it made the days fly by. Same when I waitressed at a restaurant right outside a major mall in Pittsburgh a few years earlier. I enjoyed just watching the crazy from a distance. :chuckle:

My Mom had a good story from last year. She had been coming home early in the day on Black Friday from my Grandpa's house and decided to stop at the Wal-Mart on route 8 (it's not a Super Wal-Mart) to grab a few things for people. It was around 10am and she said it was absolutely dead. She'd never been Black Friday shopping before, but said that's where she's planning on getting some things again this year.

Atlanta Dan 11-25-2013 11:04 AM

The true horror is that retail employees now have to work on Thanksgiving so shoppers can buy the $98 dollar HDTV on Thursday night rather than Friday morning.

I have never gone to a store at dawn on the Friday after Thanksgiving. As SC Mom observed, when I used to shop on Thanksgiving weekend I found it was relatively sane on Saturday mornings

But now I just point and click - Amazon is ready when you are - they finally started collecting sales tax in Georgia but by now I am hooked on the convenience of not dealing with parking lot rage and can handle paying sales tax

SteelCityMom 11-25-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 1219053)
The true horror is that retail employees now have to work on Thanksgiving so shoppers can buy the $98 dollar HDTV on Thursday night rather than Friday morning.

I have never gone to a store at dawn on the Friday after Thanksgiving. As SC Mom observed, when I used to shop on Thanksgiving weekend I found it was relatively sane on Saturday mornings

But now I just point and click - Amazon is ready when you are - they finally started collecting sales tax in Georgia but by now I am hooked on the convenience of not dealing with parking lot rage and can handle paying sales tax

Oh no, that was Black Friday morning my Mom went to that Wal-Mart that was dead. I try not to even go out of the house that entire weekend if I can avoid it. :chuckle:

I do my shopping online as well. I've got my cart all ready for Cyber Monday.

JonM229 11-25-2013 11:54 AM

You can't trample children and the elderly from behind a computer screen.

GodfatherofSoul 11-25-2013 12:07 PM

I wouldn't go shopping on a Thursday just to hopefully reverse the trend of stores staying open. As for Friday, don't think I've ever gone and probably wouldn't if I could avoid it. I've seen too many news clips of people going batpoop crazy like Walmart has the antidote for just one day.

Buddha Bus 11-25-2013 03:47 PM

I've been Black Friday shopping a few times and it really hasn't been all that bad. It's definitely crowded as hell, but if you go into with a mindset of knowing you'll be packed in and waiting in long lines it's not as frustrating as you might think. The deals are worth it, but you have to go into it with a plan. 4 of us would go (my wife, her sister, her husband, and I) and we'd split up into pairs. At least one of each pair would immediately get in line (as they are usually all the way to the back of the store) and the others would shop.

If you choose the right stores that are organized, it goes fairly smoothly all things considering. We stay away from Wal-Mart and K-Mart. We usually also avoid the malls. We hit places like Target, Kohls, and Best Buy, but we go to Best Buy last. It's usually not as nuts then. A good game plan, shopping partner, and correct choice of stores and times can do wonders for the Black Friday shopping experience.

SteelerEmpire 11-25-2013 03:49 PM

What is black friday anyway ? (no, I've never shopped on that day).

Lady Steel 11-25-2013 03:58 PM

My mother and I had never been shopping on Black Friday because we never really had any desire to mix and mingle with all the whackadoodles.

But, one year my mom wanted to go to see what all the hullabaloo was about, so I reluctantly went with her. My mother said it would be fun. We were going to shop until we dropped, have lunch together, and just generally have a fun mother/daughter day together.

Yeah, um, no. We were in Boscov's and I was minding my own business while looking at silk scarves as I was going to purchase one for one of my aunts for Christmas. The next thing I knew, I was laying on the floor covered in silk scarves. A blue-haired old lady who was about 147 years old had come barrelling through, knocked me down, and almost the entire display of scarves toppled down on top of me. My mother laughed her ass off. I didn't think it was funny. :chuckle:

No more!

I still love to shop, but I do my Christmas and birthday shopping throughout the entire year. Online. Offline. It doesn't matter. But I do not, under any circumstances, shop on Black Friday. It's dangerous. :laughing:

MasterOfPuppets 11-25-2013 04:10 PM

one black friday i dressed up like an old lady because old woman can get away with anything. i was in a hurry and barreling through the store and some woman looking at scarves was in my way so i just knocked her ass down and kept going ...:toofunny: