Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Busiest travel day of year to be 'pretty bad' for millions as pre-Thanksgiving storm (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=101537)

PeckerWood 11-26-2013 06:24 AM

Busiest travel day of year to be 'pretty bad' for millions as pre-Thanksgiving storm

By Alexander Smith, NBC News contributor

A deadly winter storm system heading east threatens widespread cancellations at some of the country's busiest airports on the eve of Thanksgiving, a meteorologist warned Tuesday.

High winds and low clouds were likely to trigger extensive delays at New York's three airports, as well as in Boston, Washington and Baltimore beginning Tuesday afternoon and lasting for up to 36 hours, according to The Weather Channel's lead meteorologist Kevin Roth.

As the busiest traveling week of the year begins, officials are monitoring potential storms that could ruin some Thanksgiving plans. NBC's Tom Costello reports.

Parts of Pennsylvania and upstate New York, including Pittsburgh and Buffalo, could experience up to 18 inches of snow by Wednesday, Roth added.

The storm, which caused hundreds of flight delays in Texas and killed at least 14 people, was covering parts of West Virginia, Georgia and North Carolina in ice early Tuesday.

Advertise | AdChoices

The storm was expected to bring a troublesome mix of snow, ice, wind, and rain to the Northeast from Tuesday afternoon. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is traditionally the busiest travel day of the year.

"For anyone wanting to travel in these areas the day before Thanksgiving it will be pretty bad," Roth said. "People need to take very, very extreme precautions --

if anyone has to travel for Thanksgivings be careful.

Lady Steel 11-26-2013 08:49 AM

Re: Busiest travel day of year to be 'pretty bad' for millions as pre-Thanksgiving st

Schools are already dismissing early where I live. Snow and wintry mix is in the forecast for today.

I had plans to make pies with my mother today for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, those plans had to be cancelled as it's best not to take the chance driving in those conditions.

Everyone please stay safe.

SteelCityMom 11-26-2013 08:55 AM

Re: Busiest travel day of year to be 'pretty bad' for millions as pre-Thanksgiving st

We are only planning on going to my mothers on Thursday, so it should be fine by then...but the hubby did end up going into work today up towards the airport (about 40 minutes from home), and I wish he didn't. Kind of hoping he decides to leave early and just finish the day at home.

Everyone be safe these next couple of days!

JonM229 11-26-2013 01:02 PM

That storm passed us yesterday, but only dropped about an inch of snow here. That'll teach you to live southeast of a Great Lake (whenever we get a little bit of snow, northern Indiana gets a ton).

Lady Steel 11-26-2013 05:31 PM

We're getting freezing rain at the current time, and 4-8" of snow through late Wednesday night is anticipated. :frown:

At least I got something accomplished today. I made an apple, cherry and pecan pie at my house, and my mom made pumpkin pies and rolls at hers. Time for a glass of wine. :tt03:

harrison'samonster 11-26-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Steel (Post 1219754)
We're getting freezing rain at the current time, and 4-8" of snow through late Wednesday night is anticipated. :frown:

At least I got something accomplished today. I made an apple, cherry and pecan pie at my house, and my mom made pumpkin pies and rolls at hers. Time for a glass of wine. :tt03:

want pie now

fer522 11-26-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Steel (Post 1219754)

i want pecan pie!!!!

Lady Steel 11-26-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison'samonster (Post 1219758)
want pie now

Quote:

Originally Posted by fer522
i want pecan pie!!!!

You both are welcome to come and get some. My family will have a full house on Thursday and our doors are always open. I'll have my Keurig all set up and ready to go for some delicious coffee for ya, too. Unless you want alcohol. We will have that, too. :laughing:

Eat, drink and be merry. :hug:

harrison'samonster 11-26-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Steel (Post 1219764)
You both are welcome to come and get some. My family will have a full house on Thursday and our doors are always open. I'll have my Keurig all set up and ready to go for some delicious coffee for ya, too. Unless you want alcohol. We will have that, too. :laughing:

Eat, drink and be merry. :hug:

Thanks for the invitation! I'll be with the family though on Thursday. Most likely I'll eat so much I'll be unable to walk after 2:00.

harrison'samonster 11-26-2013 06:07 PM

some other time we're all going to have to get together. Maybe a SB party this year when the Steelers win it all!