Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Money Isn't Everything (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102011)

JonM229 01-02-2014 12:45 PM

Money Isn't Everything

So my wife and I have decided to make some big changes in our lives. She just graduated from Northern Illinois University with a BA in Psychology. Our original plan was for her to get a full-time job once she graduated and I would make the 1.5 hour journey to NIU to finish my degree. However, her final year at school went so well it's caused a change of plans. Several of her professors thought she would do extraordinarily well in graduate school.
She has applied for the Masters program at NIU in Sociology and I have applied for a BS in Sociology (I already have an AA in General Education). We're planning on selling our home so that we can move closer to campus, and I will be quitting my (well-paying, but soul-sucking) job as it would be much too far away and I wouldn't have the time to work there and go to school. I'm also looking to get out of IT so that I can do something in the non-profit sector.
We will most likely be living off of whatever profit we make from selling our home, shitty local jobs, and student loans. Our standard of living will become much lower than it currently is, but we believe that in the long run, our lives will be much better for it. Has anyone else taken a big risk for their future? If so, do you have any advice or anecdotes that will keep me from worrying all of the time?

Buddha Bus 01-02-2014 12:57 PM

Re: Money Isn't Everything

I have no stories or anecdotes to regale you with, but good luck, Jon!

steelax04 01-02-2014 01:06 PM

To get my divorce done, I had to buyout my ex... which put me in a financial burden I'm still dealing with nearly 7 years later. Then I decided to pick up shop and move to VA (from PA) when I was laid off from my job.

So I wouldn't say that I was completely willing in taking the risks I did. Things have worked out great, I have a fantastic wife and son now, and you just need to be happy. It's definitely more about being happy than the money.

I still get wigged out at times about where we are financially. Then I just need to drink a beer and get perspective back on things that it's all OK... the important things are there.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you will look back on this and be glad you did it.

MACH1 01-02-2014 01:07 PM

Good luck! Things might be tight for a while but remember it's only temporary.

Just think after she graduates you can play "Mr. Mom" with the dog. :chuckle:

harrison'samonster 01-02-2014 01:22 PM

good luck Jon! Money definitely isn't everything. I don't have any good advice, but drop cable and start eating a lot of rice and beans.

JonM229 01-02-2014 01:32 PM

We've done this once before when we moved from Orlando up here, but we were both out of work and were more or less supported by my wife's step-mother for the first year or so by letting us stay in her unused house on the cheap.

Another reason for the move is that we've been pretty bored and lonely. We live in a really small town (full of old people) and only have a few friends out here, but they're all at least 30 minutes away. Other friendships have drifted apart for various reasons. We're looking forward to be surrounded by people our own age with similar interests.

silver & black 01-02-2014 08:05 PM

Not being judgmental in the least but, In my experience, the phrase "money isn't everything" is almost always uttered by someone that has enough of it.

No, money isn't everything but, it sure as hell makes damn near everything easier.

The_Joker 01-02-2014 09:09 PM

I can do nothing but offer you support.

Keep on chugging you dirty bird!

MasterOfPuppets 01-02-2014 11:06 PM

http://www.adminexcellence.com/wp-co...ules_32013.jpg

MasterOfPuppets 01-02-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver & black (Post 1246668)
Not being judgmental in the least but, In my experience, the phrase "money isn't everything" is almost always uttered by someone that has enough of it.

No, money isn't everything but, it sure as hell makes damn near everything easier.

indeed...you'll never hear a homeless hungry person say it.