Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Sochi 2014 Olympic Games (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102048)

Lady Steel 01-06-2014 02:29 AM

Sochi 2014 Olympic Games

For as much as I hate winter, I absolutely love the Winter Olympic Games and can't wait until they begin on February 7th. I pretty much love it all ~ Skiing, figure skating, speed skating, bobsledding, curling, hockey ~ It's alllll good!

Will you be watching? What event are you looking forward to watching the most?

Post up your country's flag!

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/u...USA-Banner.jpg

http://www.olympic.org/sochi-2014-winter-olympics

http://www.teamusa.org/

Buddha Bus 01-06-2014 04:33 AM

Re: Sochi 2014 Olympic Games

I'm boycotting.

SteelersCanada 01-06-2014 10:31 AM

I really only watch Team Canada's hockey team. I mean, I'll watch a bit of everything, but I only closely follow how hockey is going. And yes, I realize this is a stereotype. That being said,

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/t....letterbox.jpg

SteelCityMom 01-06-2014 10:37 AM

Same with me, I pay the most attention to the hockey, but I do love all the rest as well. Going to view as much as I can through torrents (I wish I could pay for cable for two weeks every two years when the Olympics are on, it's honestly the only times I've really missed having it).

harrison'samonster 01-06-2014 12:11 PM

I've never really gotten into the Winter Olympics myself. Maybe I'll have to check it out this year, but not having cable either is going to make it difficult!

SteelCityMom 01-07-2014 11:18 AM

Canada and Russia will make its final roster announcement today for their hockey teams, but I'll post the rest up in the meantime and get to theirs later.

US Team

Head Coach: Dan Bylsma
Forwards
David Backes, St. Louis Blues
Dustin Brown, Los Angeles Kings
Ryan Callahan, New York Rangers
Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks
Phil Kessel, Toronto Maple Leafs
T.J. Oshie, St. Louis Blues
Max Pacioretty, Montreal Canadiens
Zach Parise, Minnesota Wild
Joe Pavelski, San Jose Sharks
Paul Stastny, Colorado Avalanche
Derek Stepan, New York Rangers
James van Riemsdyk, Toronto Maple Leafs
Blake Wheeler, Winnipeg Jets
Defensemen
John Carlson, Washington Capitals
Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes
Cam Fowler, Anaheim Ducks
Paul Martin, Pittsburgh Penguins
Ryan McDonagh, New York Rangers
Brooks Orpik, Pittsburgh Penguins
Kevin Shattenkirk, St. Louis Blues
Ryan Suter, Minnesota Wild
Goalies
Jimmy Howard, Detroit Red Wings
Ryan Miller, Buffalo Sabres
Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles Kings
Among the snubs:
Bobby Ryan, Ottawa Senators: The big forward was a member of the 2010 Vancouver Games silver medalists, but his speed and defensive prowess were thought to be a problematic fit for Sochi.
Dustin Byfuglien, Winnipeg Jets: A big body in front of the net with a solid shot, his defensive lapses probably prevented him from making the cut.
Jack Johnson, Columbus Blue Jackets: Perhaps the biggest surprise, as the his speed and offense seemed suited for the larger ice. The U.S went with Faulk and Fowler, two younger players, instead.
Keith Yandle, Phoenix Coyotes: One of the better offensive defensemen in the NHL and a solid power play point man, Yandle might have been seen as a defensive liability on the larger ice.

Sweden

Goalkeepers:
Jhonas Enroth, Jonas Gustavsson, Henrik Lundqvist
Defencemen:
Alexander Edler, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jonathan Ericsson, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Erik Karlsson, Niklas Kronwall, Johnny Oduya, Henrik Tallinder
Forwards:
Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Bäckström, Patrik Berglund, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzén, Carl Hagelin, Marcus Krüger, Gabriel Landeskog, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jakob Silfverberg, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg
Six players from the 2006 gold medal-winning squad with Alfredsson competing in his fifth Games. Jimmie Ericsson, brother of Jonathan, is the only non-NHL player on the roster.
Among the missing names: Jonas Brodin, Hampus Lindholm and Victor Hedman on defense, along with Tobi Enstrom, who declined his invitation in October. Up front, Mika Zibanejad, Patric Hornqvist, Marcus Johansson are notable omissions. Robin Lehner lost out in net to Enroth and Gustavsson. Given injuries to Eriksson, Ekman-Larsson and Steen, along with any others that might pop up in the next month, there is a chance for injury replacement.

Finland
Goalkeepers:
Kari Lehtonen, Antti Niemi, Tuukka Rask
Defensemen:
Lasse Kukkonen, Juuso Hietanen, Sami Lepistö, Olli Määttä, Sami Salo, Kimmo Timonen, Ossi Väänänen, Sami Vatanen
Forwards:
Juhamatti Aaltonen, Aleksander Barkov, Valtteri Filppula, Mikael Granlund, Jussi Jokinen, Olli Jokinen, Mikko Koivu, Leo Komarov, Petri Kontiola, Lauri Korpikoski, Jori Lehterä, Antti Pihlström, Tuomo Ruutu, Teemu Selänne
Notable names absent: Sean Bergenheim, World Junior hero Rasmus Ristolainen and Pekka Rinne (injured).
Had Rinne been healthy this season, he would have made the Finnish net even scarier than it currently stands with Lehtonen, Niemi and Rask between the pipes. Head coach Erkka Westerlund will be pretty confident with that group.
Mikko Koivu gets named as he deals with an ankle injury that will keep him out at least a month. As with any injury replacements, Finland has up until right before the tournament begins to swap him out should he be prevented from playing.
From one Koivu to another. One name not on the list is four-time Olympian Saku Koivu. According to Finnish reporter Matias Strozyk, Koivu was on the final list up until a few days ago before withdrawing from consideration because he wasn't happy with his recovery from a concussion he suffered in October that cause him to miss a month.
"I feel that in my case dreams and reality are conflicting," said Koivu in a statement. 'I would prefer to be replaced by a better-prepared player."
One final note: According to the IIHF, Teemu Selanne will become just the second hockey player ever to participate in six Olympic Games, joining countryman Raimo Helminen.

Switzerland

Goalies: Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks), Reto Berra (Calgary Flames), Tobias Stephan (Ginevra Servette)
Defense: Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Raphael Diaz (Montréal Canadiens), Philippe Furrer (Berna), Roman Josi (Nashville Predators), Mathias Seger (ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers), Julien Vauclair (Lugano), Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks)
Forwards: Andres Ambühl (Davos), Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers), Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers), Damien Brunner (New Jersey Devils), Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions), Ryan Gardner (Berna), Denis Hollenstein (Ginevra Servette), Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals), Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota Wild), Martin Plüss (Berna), Kevin Romy (Ginevra Servette), Reto Suri (Zugo), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Roman Wick (ZSC Lions) Il capitano della Svizzera alle Olimpiadi sarà Mathias Seger.
As you can see, there are a few NHL players that made the cut. Sven Baertschi, rookie of diminishing returns for the Calgary Flames, was not one of them.

Norway

Goaltenders: Lars Haugen, Dinamo Minsk (BLR/KHL), Lars Volden, Espoo Blues (FIN), Steffen Søberg, Valerenga Oslo (NOR)
Defensemen: Alexander Bonsaksen, Valerenga Oslo (NOR), Jonas Holos, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (RUS), Henrik Solberg, Stavanger Oilers (NOR), Daniel Sorvik, Valerenga Oslo (NOR), Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Farjestad Karlstad (SWE), Mats Trygg, Lorenskog (NOR), Henrik Odegaard, Missouri Mavericks (CHL)
Forwards: Morten Ask, Valerenga Oslo (NOR), Anders Bastiansen, Farjestad Karlstad (SWE), Robin Dahlstrom, Orebro HK (SWE), Kristian Forsberg, MODO Ornskoldsvik (SWE), Mads Hansen, Storhamar Dragons (NOR), Marius Holtet, Farjestad Karlstad (SWE), Sondre Olden, Valerenga Oslo (NOR), Ken Andre Olimb, DEG Dusseldorf (GER), Mathis Olimb, Frolunda Gothenburg (SWE), Mats Rosseli Olsen, Frolunda Gothenburg (SWE), Niklas Roest, BIK Karlskoga (SWE-2), Martin Roymark, Farjestad Karlstad (SWE), Per-Age Skroder, MODO Ornskoldsvik (SWE), Patrick Thoresen, SKA St. Petersburg (RUS), Mats Zuccarello, New York Rangers (NHL)

SteelCityMom 01-07-2014 11:18 AM

Slovakia

Slovakia will again not be short on star power at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, as the country's 25-man roster announced Tuesday includes Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa and Jaroslav Halak.
The Slovaks were the surprise team four years ago in Vancouver, qualifying for the semifinals and pushing Canada in that round before losing to Finland in the bronze medal game. Chara, the Boston Bruins captain, will anchor a defense corps that includes NHL veterans Andrej Sekera (Carolina Hurricanes), Andrej Meszaros (Philadelphia Flyers), Lubomir Visnovsky (New York Islanders) and Edmonton Oilers rookie Martin Marincin.
Hossa, a two-time Stanley Cup champion with the Chicago Blackhawks, has 12 goals and 25 points in 15 games at the Olympics (three tournaments). He leads a group of forwards that includes Marian Gaborik (Columbus Blue Jackets) and a trio of intriguing young NHL players in Tomas Jurco and Tomas Tatar from the Detroit Red Wings and Richard Panik from the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Halak, who beat Russia in the preliminary round and Sweden in the quarterfinals four years ago, will be the No. 1 guy in net again if healthy. He has missed a couple of games recently for the St. Louis Blues because of an illness.
Here is the 25-man roster for Slovakia:
Goaltenders -- Peter Budaj, Montreal Canadiens, Jaroslav Halak, St. Louis Blues, Jan Laco, Donbass Donetsk (KHL)
Defensemen -- Ivan Baranka, Avangard Omsk (RUS), Dominik Granak, Dynamo Moscow (RUS), Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins, Martin Marincin, Edmonton Oilers, Andrej Meszaros, Philadelphia Flyers, Andrej Sekera, Carolina Hurricanes, Michal Sersen, Slovan Bratislava (KHL), Lubomir Visnovsky, New York Islanders
Forwards -- Milan Bartovic, Slovan Bratislava (KHL), Marian Gaborik, Columbus Blue Jackets, Michal Handzus, Chicago Blackhawks, Marcel Hossa, Dinamo Riga (KHL), Marian Hossa, Chicago Blackhawks, Tomas Jurco, Detroit Red Wings, Tomas Kopecky, Florida Panthers, Tomas Marcinko, HC Kosice (SVK), Michel Miklik, Slovan Bratislava (KHL), Peter Olvecky, Slovan Bratislava (KHL), Richard Panik, Tampa Bay Lightning, Tomas Surovy, Dynamo Minsk (KHL), Tomas Tatar, Detroit Red Wings, Tomas Zaborsky, Salavat Yulayev Ufa (RUS)

Czech Republic
Goalie: Jakub Kovar, Ondrej Pavelec, Alexander Salak
Defense: Michal Barinka, Radko Gudas, Tomas Kaberle, Lukas Krajicek, Zbynek Michalek, Michal Roszival, Ladislav Smid, Marek Zidlicky
Forward: Roman Cervenka, Patrik Elias, Michael Frolik, Martin Hanzel, Ales Hemsky, Jaromir Jagr, David Krejci, Milan Michalek, Petr Nedved, Jiri Novotny, Ondrej Palat, Tomas Plekanec (captain), Vladimir Sobotka, Jakub Voracek
Interesting decision to bring 42-year old Petr Nedved, who last played in the Olympics at the 1994 Games in Lillehammer as a member of Team Canada, to the party and leave Hudler and Vrbata at home.
Among the other notable names not named include Tomas Fleischmann, Tomas Hertl (injured), Roman Polak, Michal Neuvirth, Martin Erat, Jan Hejda and Martin Havlat (injured).
Said Czech head coach Alois Hadamczik: "I tried to pick the best team, who will be a party committed to achieve the best result."
Calgary Flames head coach Bob Hartley was so astonished that Hudler wasn't included he dropped this bit of sarcasm when asked about the Czech's decision:

Roger Millions @RogMillions Follow Bob Hartley says "Czechs must be very good team. They will win the Olympic Gold Medal. Any team that can keep Jiri Hudler off it must win.
11:03 AM - 6 Jan 2014

Slovenia

Goaltenders: Luka Gracnar, Andrej Hocevar, Robert Kristan.
Defencemen: Blaz Gregorc, Sabahudin Kovacevic, Ales Kranjc, Ziga Pavlin, Klemen Pretnar, Mitja Robar, Matic Podlipnik, Andrej Tavzelj.
Forwards: Bostjan Golicic, Ziga Jeglic, Anze Kopitar, Anze Kuralt, Jan Mursak, Ales Music, Ziga Pance, Tomaz Razingar, David Rodman, Marcel Rodman, Robert Sabolic, Rok Ticar, Jan Urbas, Miha Verlic.
One name to watch: Gracnar, the young goalie, who is going to split time with Kristan.

SteelCityMom 01-07-2014 11:48 AM

Canada names Olympic roster, returns 11 players from 2010 gold-medal team
Tuesday, 01.07.2014 / 11:35 AM
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer / Road to Sochi blog

Eleven players from Canada's Olympic gold-medal winning team in Vancouver four years ago have been selected to play in the 2014 Sochi Olympics next month.

Hockey Canada released its highly anticipated 25-man Olympic team roster Tuesday in Toronto, naming goalie Roberto Luongo (Vancouver Canucks); defensemen Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks), Shea Weber (Nashville Predators) and Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings); and forwards Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins), Patrice Bergeron (Boston Bruins), Rick Nash (New York Rangers), Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks), Corey Perry (Ducks) and Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks) as the returning players from the 2010 team, which defeated the United States in the gold-medal game.

The first-time Olympians picked to play for Canada in Sochi are goalies Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens) and Mike Smith (Phoenix Coyotes); forwards John Tavares (New York Islanders), Matt Duchene (Colorado Avalanche), Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay Lightning), Chris Kunitz (Penguins), Jeff Carter (Los Angeles Kings), Patrick Sharp (Blackhawks) and Jamie Benn (Dallas Stars); and defensemen Alex Pietrangelo (St. Louis Blues), Dan Hamhuis (Vancouver Canucks), P.K. Subban (Montreal Canadiens) and Marc-Edouard Vlasic (San Jose Sharks).

Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is returning to the Olympics after failing to make the roster in 2010. He played on Canada's 2006 Olympic team with Nash and Luongo.

The bigger news might be the players who were not selected to go to Sochi. Among them are five players who were on the 2010 team in Vancouver and were invited to Canada's Olympic orientation camp in August: Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes), Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks), Dan Boyle (Sharks), Mike Richards (Kings) and Brent Seabrook (Blackhawks).

Among the other top candidates who did not make the final roster are Martin St. Louis (Lightning), Claude Giroux (Philadelphia Flyers), Logan Couture (San Jose Sharks), Taylor Hall (Edmonton Oilers), James Neal (Penguins) and Corey Crawford (Blackhawks).

Couture will have surgery Wednesday to repair an upper-body injury, reportedly his hand. The Sharks are expected to know more about his timetable for a return to the lineup following the procedure.

Here is Canada's 25-man roster:

GOALIES (3)

Roberto Luongo (Vancouver Canucks)

Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens)

Mike Smith (Phoenix Coyotes)

DEFENSEMEN (8)

Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks)

Shea Weber (Nashville Predators)

Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings)

Alex Pietrangelo (St. Louis Blues)

Jay Bouwmeester (St. Louis Blues)

Marc-Edouard Vlasic (San Jose Sharks)

P.K. Subban (Montreal Canadiens)

Dan Hamhuis (Vancouver Canucks)

FORWARDS (14)

Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Chris Kunitz (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Patrice Bergeron (Boston Bruins)

Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks)

Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks)

Rick Nash (New York Rangers)

Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks)

Patrick Sharp (Chicago Blackhawks)

John Tavares (New York Islanders)

Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks)

Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay Lightning)

Jeff Carter (Los Angeles Kings)

Matt Duchene (Colorado Avalanche)

Jamie Benn (Dallas Stars)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...d=nhl:topheads

SteelCityMom 01-07-2014 11:58 AM

I was actually really surprised that they gave Kunitz his due and put him on the Canadian team. Grats to him!

List of Pens in the Olympics:

Orpik and Martin for the US; Crosby and Kunitz for Canada; Jokinen and Maata for Finland (HUGE congrats to him); Geno for Russia.

I feel like Neal and Fleury kind of got snubbed a little (more Fleury than Neal), but I get it. They are so stacked at forward, and a lot of great players got left off. Should have been him and not Benn though. Hmmmph.

SteelersCanada 01-07-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityMom (Post 1249254)
I feel like Neal and Fleury kind of got snubbed a little (more Fleury than Neal), but I get it. They are so stacked at forward, and a lot of great players got left off. Should have been him and not Benn though. Hmmmph.

There's legitimate outrage from Pittsburgh writers that Neal was left off the team for Rick Nash. The argument against is Neal plays with Malkin and thus his stats are inflated. I don't know how legitimate that argument is, but it's one that's being thrown around right now.

Anyways, it'll probably come down to USA - Canada again this year for Gold.