Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Draft Philosophy (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102181)

Pitt15 01-20-2014 05:41 PM

Draft Philosophy

It seems that the Steeler draft philosophy has shifted over the years taking players with proven success in high profile programs, taking flyers on smaller school players later. In short, I would like to spark a discussion on Talent vs. Heart. I know you need players with both, but when looking at elite talent, the heart, the drive, the off field motivation must become a higher priority. Lambert didn't have the measurables, not did Olsavsky, nor Bleier, Kiesel, Aaron Smith, Ward, Grossman. Yes, the Steelers need an infusion of talent, but also an infusion of leadership by example and an unmatched love of the game.

Daddymac10 01-20-2014 05:57 PM

Re: Draft Philosophy

I agree with you for guys that play in the trench. But for skilled positions like CB you gotta have some intangibles like height & speed. Speed & technique is critical when playing CB. Speed & height will allow you to play physical on the line. Maybe that is one reason why Dick Lebeau is too scared to play our people on the line...

SH-Rock 01-20-2014 06:27 PM

To refute your argument: Antonio Brown, Kelvin Beachum, Cortez Allen, just to name a few.

austinfrench76 01-25-2014 01:01 PM

BPA unless we get a bunch on comp picks. Then, move around and get the players you want. We don't need 11 drafted rookies!

harrison'samonster 01-25-2014 02:32 PM

I think we draft players with plenty of heart.

Buddha Bus 01-25-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddymac10 (Post 1256391)
I agree with you for guys that play in the trench. But for skilled positions like CB you gotta have some intangibles like height & speed.

Actually, height and speed are very tangible elements. An intangible would be heart, desire, instincts, love of the game, and leadership ability. Essentially, anything that cannot be measured or obviously seen. I agree we need more of those types though.

SteelersCanada 01-25-2014 03:14 PM

"Heart" doesn't win championships. Tangible talent does. When you have both of these things, you have an elite team. Give me work ethic, measurable's and a dedicated player over one who really, really wants it and has a lot to prove.

The best example that I can give you in this draft would be Justin Gilbert > Lamarcus Joyner. Better tangible assets.

Buddha Bus 01-25-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1259136)
"Heart" doesn't win championships. Tangible talent does. When you have both of these things, you have an elite team. Give me work ethic, measurable's and a dedicated player over one who really, really wants it and has a lot to prove.

The best example that I can give you in this draft would be Justin Gilbert > Lamarcus Joyner. Better tangible assets.

It clearly has to be a combination. All the heart and desire in the world won't help you if you don't work for it and have skills to back it up. Intangibles just turn an average to good player into a good to great player.

Conversely, all the raw talent in the world doesn't necessarily equate to a great player. Limas Sweed had raw talent and physical tools, but didn't have the mental aspect to put it together. It can go both ways.

CanSteel7 01-25-2014 03:45 PM

If you ask me, the quality that I hear that is most important is "that guy is a football player". I hear Mayoch talk about it. Guys who are true football players, I love to draft. Obviously they have to have talent, but the mental make up and that quality described is what I would pick.

Buddha Bus 01-25-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanSteel7 (Post 1259151)
If you ask me, the quality that I hear that is most important is "that guy is a football player". I hear Mayoch talk about it. Guys who are true football players, I love to draft. Obviously they have to have talent, but the mental make up and that quality described is what I would pick.

I agree, but there still has to be some level of talent/skills/physical tools factored into the equation. The heart, drive, positive mentality, football smarts, and work ethic of a player can make:

1.) a bad player serviceable
2.) a serviceable player good
3.) a good player great
4.) a great player a pro bowler
5.) a pro bowler a Hall of Famer

#1 and #2 can fill out the depth chart and be backups or even starters. #3 can get you a solid starter and possibly playoff bound. #4 and #5 can win you Super Bowls with the right mix around them. You just need to find the right balance for what you need. A player with all the physical tools and skills in the world can still be a great player, even a pro bowler, but the right intangibles can elevate them to Hall of Fame status.