Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Roger Goodell: NFL considering proposal to eliminate extra points (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102183)

Atlanta Dan 01-20-2014 05:50 PM

Roger Goodell: NFL considering proposal to eliminate extra points

The most exciting play in football might be coming to an end. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said on Monday that the league is considering a proposal to eliminate extra points.

"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said, via NFL.com. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play."

Goodell's right about the missed extra points. There were only five missed all season and four of those were blocked. But that begs the question, what would the NFL do to replace extra points?

"There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about," Goodell said. "It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

Basically, under this proposal, you'd get seven points for a touchdown unless you decide you want an eighth point. If you go for the eighth point and fail, you'd only get six points for the score.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...e-extra-points

Does not seem like a big change - if they really want to screw up point spreads give 6 points for a TD and only then give 2 points if you try for a conversion

OX1947 01-20-2014 06:31 PM

Re: Roger Goodell: NFL considering proposal to eliminate extra points

Seriously, does this guy just want to change everything in this fucking game? The league has been around for almost 100 years? What about college and high school and pop warner? When will these fucking people get rid of this guy already? He has already destroyed one of the more exciting plays in the game which is the kick off returns.

MasterOfPuppets 01-20-2014 06:53 PM

personally i've always felt the outcome of the game should be decided by the 22 people on offense and defense not by the little guy who grew up playing soccer.
i wouldn't mind seeing the goal post removed entirely from the field and kickers eliminated from the roster.
maybe give teams the option of going for 1 from the 3 , or going for 2 from the 10 ...:noidea:

CanSteel7 01-20-2014 08:58 PM

I'm a purist and I would hate to see it taken out of the game. Leave it in and leave the game alone please!

GodfatherofSoul 01-20-2014 09:04 PM

The extra point is there for a reason. It makes a TD slightly better than 2 field goals. And, combined with a 2-pt conversion option, it sets teams up for a fake if they want to try it.

SH-Rock 01-20-2014 09:30 PM

Well considering there's a 99% chance the kicker will get it in, the extra point doesn't add much to the game right now. I'd rather skip it and go on to the actual game. Maybe moving it back 10-15 yards will help.

maddog78 01-20-2014 10:07 PM

Best proposal I've heard is letting the TD scorer kick the PAT. I want to see Suisham split out wide if we're down by seven late...

tony hipchest 01-21-2014 12:58 AM

if it is not broke why fix it? Roger Goodell hates liquored up idiot kickers ? Why does he not worried about expanding the roster or changing the IR rules?

This proposal really does nothing more but delegitimize special team players. I expect the union to be all over this

teegre 01-21-2014 01:00 AM

Vince McMahon likes this idea.

maddog78 01-21-2014 06:00 AM

When you make 99.5%, it's broke. Just add the extra point and don't risk injury.