Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   [Article] Why Pittsburgh Should Let Sanders Walk (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102360)

SteelerEmpire 02-10-2014 12:05 PM

Why Pittsburgh Should Let Sanders Walk

Emmanuel Sanders doesn’t want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

The Steelers should oblige.

LINK: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...t-sanders-walk

Blacksburg Zach 02-10-2014 12:22 PM

Re: Why Pittsburgh Should Let Sanders Walk

If Sanders doesn't want to be here, then he doesn't have to stay here. He has not been consistent enough to warrant a big contract. If indeed Sanders leaves, which seems likely at this point, this will be Wheaton's chance to prove himself.

SteelReserve916 02-10-2014 12:45 PM

IMO, Sanders has proven to be nothing more than a borderline starter with very little upside. I would much rather see the Steelers re-sign Cotchery, bring in a Jacoby Ford/Ted Ginn Jr. free agent type and then have an open competition during training camp. Hell, I would prefer dropping $2.5-3 million a year on Dexter McCluster, as opposed to spending the same amount on Sanders.

Another intriguing WR option is Hakeem Nicks. The past two seasons have done irreparable damage to his value and an incentive laden contract may be his only option.

harrison'samonster 02-10-2014 12:57 PM

I didn't see anything in the article about Sanders not wanting to be with the Steelers. If the money is the same, I would actually let Cotchery go. Brown, Sanders, Wheaton seems much better to me than Brown, Wheaton, Cotchery. Whatever happens though we'll be fine.

SteelReserve916 02-10-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison'samonster (Post 1264243)
I didn't see anything in the article about Sanders not wanting to be with the Steelers. If the money is the same, I would actually let Cotchery go. Brown, Sanders, Wheaton seems much better to me than Brown, Wheaton, Cotchery. Whatever happens though we'll be fine.

Agreed, but Cotchery should command a $1.5-2 million base salary, whereas Sanders will probably be looking for $3-3.5 million per year. However, the free agent WR pool is fairly deep, which could reduce that number down to what he made this year as a RFA. I could live with a 4-year, $12-14 million deal (signing bonus included in that number).

El-Gonzo Jackson 02-10-2014 02:18 PM

I don't think he "doesn't want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler"....but he isn't worth what he will garner in free agency. Let the Markus Wheaton era begin in Pittsburgh!

VaDave 02-10-2014 02:52 PM

I'm sure the Steelers will be content to let him test the free agent waters. But if he doesn't find something to his liking, I'm sure the Steelers will make him an offer to return.

PeckerWood 02-10-2014 03:25 PM

let him walk, Ben already practicing with Wheaton and Moyer tells me Sanders won't be back.

CNEW 02-10-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 1264261)
I don't think he "doesn't want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler"....but he isn't worth what he will garner in free agency. Let the Markus Wheaton era begin in Pittsburgh!

He's going to get the money he deserves, as most FA's do. Sanders gets shitted on for dropping the "memorable" passes, but his numbers last year are nothing to scoff at. He has a lot of talent.

Lambert4President 02-10-2014 08:40 PM

Sanders is a decent receiver, and I'd have no problem signing him to a contract fitting a decent receiver. If he's expecting to be paid as a great receiver, then let some other team overpay him.

Remember the "big money crew"? Of the 3 members of this crew, Brown was the only one that really lived up to potential, IMO