Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pittsburgh Steelers: Is Shamarko Thomas ready for a big role in 2014? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102369)

Galax Steeler 02-11-2014 05:07 AM

Pittsburgh Steelers: Is Shamarko Thomas ready for a big role in 2014?

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...48-300x450.jpg

As the Pittsburgh Steelers prepare for a very important offseason, they very well could target a safety in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft or via free agency.

If they don’t, all eyes will be on second-year pro Shamarko Thomas, who will be looking at a big role in the Steelers defense next season.

The only question to ask is whether he is ready?

Thomas could be a serious candidate to have a breakout season in 2014. With Ryan Clark not likely to return, Thomas is more than likely going to have to step up in a major fashion.

In Thomas’ rookie year, the Steelers’ coaching staff wanted to get the 2013 fourth-round pick on the field as much as they could, but really didn’t find a way to put him into positions to succeed.

However, he is a guy the franchise gave up a 2014 third-round pick for so the Steelers are very high on the Syracuse product.

As a rookie, Thomas displayed the speed and physicality that give you hope that he will be a competent NFL safety for a long time to come.

Unfortunately he had to play as a nickel corner for most of his rookie campaign and was often beat in man coverage by bigger wide receivers and tight ends. That shouldn’t be an issue in 2014 for Thomas as he should be stepping into a starting role at safety, which is much more in his comfort zone as he showed the knack to be very good at reading plays and getting to the ball during camp.

If he does emerge as a starting safety, there will be a lot of pressure on the youngster as often it will be in a single-high look with Troy Polamalu playing around the line of scrimmage.

That’s also not an ideal situation for Thomas, but it is something he is much more suited for as he should be able to use that hard-hitting ability far more often.

The biggest reason to get excited about Thomas is his ability to tackle, something he was very good at in college.

That didn’t parlay to his freshman NFL campaign as Thomas recorded only 29 stops, but that is an area I feel he can excel at next season – which will be a big bonus for the Steelers defense.

If Thomas can show he is ready for a major role, I look at him to be a candidate for a major breakout in 2014. If he’s not ready, the Steelers defense could be in major trouble.

http://cityofchampionssports.com/201...big-role-2014/

Lokki 02-11-2014 09:47 AM

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers: Is Shamarko Thomas ready for a big role in 2014?

The dude works hard. I follow him on Facebook and every day there are pics/videos of him working hard. I really want him to succeed for us. He has a lot of drive.

HeinzMustard 02-11-2014 10:26 AM

The success or failure of the Steelers in 2014 depends on Thomas, J. Jones, V. Williams and whoever is playing NT. These young players must step up.

El-Gonzo Jackson 02-11-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeinzMustard (Post 1264621)
The success or failure of the Steelers in 2014 depends on Thomas, J. Jones, V. Williams and whoever is playing NT. These young players must step up.

Agree. I think Vince Williams had the best season of those 3 last year and will take a starting spot inside this year. Jarvis Jones needs the benefit of some coaching the use of his hands in pass rushing.

Thomas I think will be fine once he stops thinking of where he needs to be and just learns where he needs to be so he can just play. He wasn't going to replace Clark as a rookie, but hopefully learned enough as its his job to lose going to camp this season.

steelfury02 02-11-2014 11:45 AM

He will step up. Just you wait and see . . .

We got young guns who have cut their teeth on 8-8 for the past season or two. We HAVE seen the worst of it and it got better at the end of last season.

Oh yes, it will be GLORIOUS!!!!!!

GMU Steeler 02-11-2014 12:38 PM

We will see. Glad to see he's working hard. I'd love for him to be for the next decade what Troy has this past.

ebsteelers 02-11-2014 12:55 PM

shhhh.. dont let the word out, i plan on drafting him late in my fantasy league draft

EbonySteel86 02-11-2014 02:11 PM

So they want to put Shamarko in Clark's spot? Not sure I agree with that. Should put Troy back there and leave Shamarko at his natural position. Troy could stay in the league a few more years at FS. Not as much hitting playing outfield.

teegre 02-11-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 (Post 1264714)
. Not as much hitting playing outfield.

Willis McGahee disagrees. :chuckle:

Pentheon 02-11-2014 02:42 PM

Give em the starting spot, let him learn ON the field with troy. Let him start young and build his way up so he gets more experience.