Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sports illustrateds "footballs greatest" features right steelers. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102415)

Steel and Gold 02-14-2014 11:25 PM

Sports illustrateds "footballs greatest" features right steelers.

Sports illustrated is one of the few sports news sources I take seriously( I hate ESPN and bleacher report), so I was excited to find a book featuring footballs greatest. I reccomend to anyone whose interested in this kind of stuff and its a great tool for debates and arguements. It's basically a book of top ten lists voted on by professional writers. It features the best players, coaches, rivalries, uniforms, plays, etc. The steelers featured the most players/coaches with at least one steeler in every category except tight ends and running backs( Marion Motley spent one year with PIT but I did not count him).You can check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/161893...AC_SX110_SY165

There is also a section at the end of the book of players that didn't make the final ten but did get votes. Players like Troy, Jack Ham, Franco, Swann, and other steelers make up this list.

I will list the steelers but I still ask people look at the book because it features a lot of NFL history and well written and throughout descriptions of each topic.

Quarterbacks: Terry Bradshaw comes in at number ten behind Brett Favre.

Wide recievers: Hines Ward comes in at number ten behind Marvin Harrison.

Offensive lineman: Mike Webster comes at number five behind Bruce Mathews

Defensive lineman: Mean Joe Greene comes in at number two behind Reggie White. Greene is the highest rated DT on the list.

Linebackers: Jack Lambert comes in at four behind Ray Lewis, Dick Butkus, and Lawrence Taylor.

Defensive backs: Both Rod Woodson and Mel Blount made it with Woodson at three behind Deion Sanders and Ronnie Lott and Blount at seven behind Ed Reed.

Coaches: Chuck Noll comes in at four behind Bill Walsh, Paul Brown, and Vince Lombardi.

Games: Super bowl 43 comes in at seven with Super Bowl 13 at nine.

Plays: The immaculate reception comes in at number one, Santonio Holmes SB catch at four, James Harrison's runback at six, and Lynn Swann's SB catch at nine.

Single-season teams: The 1978 steelers came in at ten. The 76 steelers did not make the list but were mentioned as nearly making it.

Franchises: The Pittsburgh Steelers came in at number two behind the Green Bay Packers. Obviously every steeler fan will disagree.

Rivalries: Steelers-Ravens came in at two behind packers-bears.

Uniforms: The steelers black and gold came in at three behind the packers green and yellow and the raiders silver and black.

Best sports illustrated NFL related cover: The cover of Lynn Swann's SB catch came in at number one.

SteelReserve916 02-15-2014 01:01 AM

Re: Sports illustrateds "footballs greatest" features right steelers.

Considering the "Top 10 Plays" includes two from Super Bowl XLIII, having the game itself at only seven seems pretty damn low.

VaDave 02-15-2014 08:49 AM

Rod Woodson behind Dion Sanders???? That's enough for me to jump off this bus. Just more media tripe.

steelfury02 02-15-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelReserve916 (Post 1266131)
Considering the "Top 10 Plays" includes two from Super Bowl XLIII, having the game itself at only seven seems pretty damn low.

It is still the best Super Bowl of all time. ALL TIME IMO. The announcers were perfect, the ebb and flow of the game was perfect. It wasn't low scoring, it wasn't high scoring - it was just all around the epitome of Super Bowl drama.

Kinda like . . .
"Now it's Creed, now it's Balboa, now it's Creed, now it's Balboa, they're standing toe to toe in the center of the ring, what's keeping these two up, a tremendous closing moment . . ."

Evenly matched, anybody's game, legendary plays, perfect drama for any type of fan.

SteelersCanada 02-15-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel and Gold (Post 1266120)
Linebackers: Jack Lambert comes in at four behind Ray Lewis,

Oh fuck that.

NSMaster56 02-15-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1266299)
Oh fuck that.

It's almost more egregious that Blount---who was so good that the NFL had to change defensive rules in favor of offense (which bear his name)---is behind Ed Reed.

Also, no Troy???

Blasphemous.

NSMaster56 02-15-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelfury02 (Post 1266295)
It is still the best Super Bowl of all time. ALL TIME IMO. The announcers were perfect, the ebb and flow of the game was perfect. It wasn't low scoring, it wasn't high scoring - it was just all around the epitome of Super Bowl drama.

Kinda like . . .
"Now it's Creed, now it's Balboa, now it's Creed, now it's Balboa, they're standing toe to toe in the center of the ring, what's keeping these two up, a tremendous closing moment . . ."

Evenly matched, anybody's game, legendary plays, perfect drama for any type of fan.

People do forget that the Steelers dominated the third quarter (going up 20-9) though; which somewhat diminishes the game.

There were only three drives in that quarter since PIT's FG drive lasted over 8 1/2 minutes (!).

That 'lull' carried over into fourth (since PIT has a historically dominant 4Q D) until half the quarter was over.

That's when the madness happened.

It was similar to Panthers-Pats, when the first and third quarters were real snoozers with the second and fourth quarters being track meets

I do agree that it's one of the best SBs (in my lifetime) ever though. Maybe second after Broncos-Pack.

CNEW 02-15-2014 10:26 AM

No Jack Ham? Never saw him play but don't many consider him to be the best OLB ever?

SteelersCanada 02-15-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSMaster56 (Post 1266369)
It's almost more egregious that Blount---who was so good that the NFL had to change defensive rules in favor of offense (which bear his name)---is behind Ed Reed.

Also, no Troy???

Blasphemous.

Absolutely. You know it's bullshit when the best Strong Safety in NFL history isn't mentioned.

Ray Lewis wasn't even the best Linebacker of his generation, let alone better than any member of the Steel Curtain. Complete and utter horseshit. So, typical SI.

NSMaster56 02-15-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1266373)
Absolutely. You know it's bullshit when the best Strong Safety in NFL history isn't mentioned.

Ray Lewis wasn't even the best Linebacker of his generation, let alone better than any member of the Steel Curtain. Complete and utter horseshit. So, typical SI.

Well, Ray Lewis' 'intangibles' and 'reputation' (of a 'competitor', not a murderer :chuckle:) is what gives him an edge.

Thusly, it's understandable (plus he's 'new hat' compared to Jack Splat).

I laugh at Hines as the #10 best WR though. Um... no.