Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   It was 10 years ago… (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102457)

Bayz101 02-19-2014 11:42 PM

It was 10 years ago…
 
this week (February 18th-24th) that a top prospect emerged in the 2004 NFL Combine -


“It’s remarkable how far he has come in such a short time. Until his senior year in high school, he was a receiver. Yet, he was talented enough to take the Mid-American Conference by storm. That might not seem like a ringing endorsement on the surface, but remember that the last two MAC quarterbacks to do that were Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich, both of whom appear to have bright NFL futures. Roethlisberger, who declared himself eligible for the NFL draft after his junior year, has a good pro arm, is more athletic than Eli Manning and Philip Rivers and sees the field well. Scouts generally believe he has the highest upside of this year’s QB crop, but also represents the greatest risk because of his limited experience.” – The late Joe Stein, NFL Draft expert for the San Diego Union-Tribune.

From Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports, February 19, 2004:


The inquiry at the top of everyone’s list?

“Ben, where do you think you’ll be drafted?”

It’s a question he can’t answer. He knows where he wants to be drafted.

The 6-5, 245-pounder possesses the qualities teams want in a quarterback: size, arm strength, accuracy, some mobility, smarts.

Roethlisberger and Manning are at the six-day NFL combine in Indianapolis, where prospects show off their physical and mental skills.

It also gives teams a chance to interview and get to know the players.

It might determine where Roethlisberger and Manning go in the draft.

San Diego, Oakland and Arizona pick 1-2-3 in the draft. All could use a quarterback. The Chargers aren’t sold on Drew Brees. Rich Gannon is at the end of the road. Arizona released Jeff Blake, and no one is sure Josh McCown is the answer.

“This is all really hard to believe,” Roethlisberger said. “April 24 will be a dream come true.”

Continue reading: http://bigben7.com/it-was-10-years-ago/

And EXCELLENT write-up and look back. :thumbsup:

http://bigben7.com/

Check out the link and read it in full, it's put together very well at his website.

Bayz101 02-19-2014 11:48 PM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
@Hawaii 5-0 just liked an article I posted. I feel...I feel like I've been blessed by Jesus. :chuckle:

tony hipchest 02-19-2014 11:57 PM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
10 years ago today also marks the first time bayz101 buried kittens up to their necks and ran their heads over with a lawnmower.

I can't remember... did Ben throw and do all the drills at the combine?

Bayz101 02-20-2014 12:04 AM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 1267862)
10 years ago today also marks the first time bayz101 buried kittens up to their necks and ran their heads over with a lawnmower.

I can't remember... did Ben throw and do all the drills at the combine?

Sonofabitch. :sofunny:

SteelReserve916 02-20-2014 12:41 AM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
I honestly believe that the careers of Leftwich and Pennington, which were below-average at best, caused enough teams to shy away, which allowed Big Ben to fall all the way to #11.

mikegrimey 02-20-2014 12:49 AM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
Lucky us...forgot who Oakland and AZ picked...

teegre 02-20-2014 01:12 AM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikegrimey (Post 1267870)
Lucky us...forgot who Oakland and AZ picked...

Gallery (decent OG, but not worth the #2 pick).

Fitzgerald (not too shabby LOL).

teegre 02-20-2014 01:22 AM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
I watched a lot of MAC football back then. I fell in love w/ BB, while watching him play the Thundering Herd in 2002... and followed his junior season with much interest.

I wanted him as a Steeler, starting back in early September 2003... and I jumped (literally) for joy when he was drafted in April.

Craziest part: he didn't end up as a Raven.

Gnutella 02-20-2014 03:35 AM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayz101 (Post 1267857)
“It’s remarkable how far he has come in such a short time. Until his senior year in high school, he was a receiver. Yet, he was talented enough to take the Mid-American Conference by storm. That might not seem like a ringing endorsement on the surface, but remember that the last two MAC quarterbacks to do that were Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich, both of whom appear to have bright NFL futures. Roethlisberger, who declared himself eligible for the NFL draft after his junior year, has a good pro arm, is more athletic than Eli Manning and Philip Rivers and sees the field well. Scouts generally believe he has the highest upside of this year’s QB crop, but also represents the greatest risk because of his limited experience.” – The late Joe Stein, NFL Draft expert for the San Diego Union-Tribune.

BEWWWLLLSHEEEIT!!!

He's dumb and he can't read defenses! I motherfucking SAID SO! I drive 300 miles to tailgate at Steelers games! TAKE ME SERIOUSLY, ASSHOLES!!! :banging:

pczach 02-20-2014 06:46 AM

Re: It was 10 years ago…
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayz101 (Post 1267860)
@Hawaii 5-0 just liked an article I posted. I feel...I feel like I've been blessed by Jesus. :chuckle:

That doesn't happen every day!

:chuckle:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum