Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL Player Reaches Out To 11-Year-Old Kid Bullied By Opposing Fans (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102705)

Vis 03-14-2014 01:44 PM

NHL Player Reaches Out To 11-Year-Old Kid Bullied By Opposing Fans

Jake Lotocki is an 11-year-old fan of the New York Islanders, but because he lives in Winnipeg, he rarely gets to see the team he loves play in person. That changed last week, when Lotocki’s parents took him to the MTS Centre to see the Isles play his hometown team, the Winnipeg Jets. At the game, though, Lotocki and his Islanders jersey drew the ire of some drunk and unruly Jets fans who didn’t like that he was supporting the opponent in their backyard.

The Winnipeg Sun told Lotocki’s story this week: he was so distraught by the behavior that on the way out of the arena, he wadded up his shirt — a #91 John Tavares jersey — and hid it to avoid further abuse. It’s an awful story on fan behavior that is unfortunately all too common at sporting events, and it could have ended there. But it didn’t.

Tavares, the Islanders’ center who’s out for the rest of the season rehabbing the knee he injured while helping Canada win Olympic gold in Sochi, heard the story. Through the team, Tavares reached out to Lotocki. The Sun has the details (via Sports Illustrated):
[Tavares] immediately called the team’s director of communications, Kimber Auerbach, who was with the Islanders as they played in Vancouver.

“He called me during the game and told me he wanted to do something for Jake,” Auerbach told the Sun, Wednesday.

After reading how Lotocki had to leave the arena with his jersey crumpled up so people wouldn’t see it, Tavares suggested sending the boy a new one, autographed by his favourite player.

Auerbach called the Lotocki home Tuesday night and told Jake’s mother of the team’s plans.

“It’s amazing,” Sue Lotocki said. “It’s quite impressive that somebody who was just Jake’s hockey hero turned out to be a true-life hero for him. He really appreciates him making the effort to reach out to Jake in that way. It means a lot to him.”

The Isles don’t return to Winnipeg this season, but they promised Jake that he could join Tavares and the rest of the team for a pre-game skate-around when they come back to the MTS Centre next year. The Jets, for their part, have told the family that they’re working to ensure such behavior doesn’t happen again. Fans can be terrible. At least, in this instance, their awful behavior brought out the best Tavares and the Islanders organization.

http://thinkprogress.org/default/201...opposing-fans/

Buddha Bus 03-14-2014 01:47 PM

Re: NHL Player Reaches Out To 11-Year-Old Kid Bullied By Opposing Fans

See.... I told everybody you can't trust those filthy Canadians!

Vis 03-14-2014 01:48 PM

That's why Jets go missing

CanSteel7 03-14-2014 01:55 PM

It's absolutely disgraceful! I guess those cowards couldn't pick on adults because they may, you know, fight back so instead you pick on an 11 year old! Just priceless. Ah Winnipeg, where the highlight of the day for some people is tipping cows. Once that is done, and since there is not much more to do in Winnipeg after you are done tipping cows over you get drunk and pick on kids! Day complete!

Vis 03-14-2014 02:01 PM

I the kid had been a Leafs fan he wouldn't have walked out of there in one piece.

SteelersCanada 03-14-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vis (Post 1277854)
I the kid had been a Leafs fan he wouldn't have walked out of there in one piece.

The ACC is mostly suits now. The only time it ever gets rowdy or heated are when Habs fans come into town and, let's be honest here, they'll usually start it/bring it on themselves.

SteelCityMom 03-17-2014 12:28 PM

I've heard Jets fans in general are terrible. Maybe SteelersCanada can remember, but a player was just recently (within the past couple of weeks) helped off the ice with an injury, and the fans were booing him. Not surprised at all they'd heckle a little kid. They are like the Philly of Canada I think haha.

Great job by Tavares though reaching out to this kid. Hockey players are the best.

SteelersCanada 03-17-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityMom (Post 1279129)
I've heard Jets fans in general are terrible. Maybe SteelersCanada can remember, but a player was just recently (within the past couple of weeks) helped off the ice with an injury, and the fans were booing him. Not surprised at all they'd heckle a little kid. They are like the Philly of Canada I think haha.

Great job by Tavares though reaching out to this kid. Hockey players are the best.

Completely agree with the Philly comparison. Though, they live in Winnipeg - there's absolutely shit all out there. I pity Jets fans.

I also get a laugh every time the Jets come into St. Louis. One, it's usually a win for the Blues and two, they boo captain Andrew Ladd. Being an ex-Blackhawk in St. Louis is rough. :chuckle: