Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Steve Smith signs 3 Year Deal with Ravens (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102707)

JonM229 03-14-2014 04:29 PM

Steve Smith signs 3 Year Deal with Ravens

From the Ravens official site:

Quote:

The Ravens wasted no time snatching up the wide receiver they’ve been looking for over the past year.

A day after the Carolina Panthers released veteran wideout Steve Smith on Thursday afternoon, the Ravens agreed to terms with him on a contract, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. It is reportedly a three-year deal.

The Ravens wanted a wide receiver with production, someone who would make tough catches when they need them most.

Productive is exactly what Smith is.

Smith turns 35 in May and is on the tail end of his career, but his body of work speaks for itself.

In seven of 13 career seasons, Smith has notched 1,000 receiving yards or more. He’s fourth among active NFL pass catchers in career yardage (12,197), trailing only Atlanta tight end Tony Gonzalez, Indianapolis wide receiver Reggie Wayne and Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson.

Banged up by injuries last year, Smith’s stats dipped to 64 receptions for 745 yards and four touchdowns. He still received an overall grade of 11.4 from Pro Football Focus (PFF), which would have put him as the third-best wide receiver in this year’s free agent class.

Even last year, Smith had more catches and yards than any Ravens wide receiver except Torrey Smith.

In 2012, Steve Smith caught 73 passes for 1,174 yards and four scores. In 2011, he logged 79 catches for 1,394 yards and seven touchdowns, earning his fifth Pro Bowl selection.

The Ravens have needed a reliable, gritty pass catcher to work the middle of the field since trading Anquan Boldin to the San Francisco 49ers last offseason.

Smith doesn’t have the build of Boldin (Boldin is 6-foot-1, 220 pounds while Smith is 5-foot-9, 185 pounds), but they are similarly extremely competitive and reliable.

Smith has the savvy, quickness and power to break press coverage, something younger Ravens receivers were not as adept at last season. He plays well in the slot, an area where Baltimore couldn’t find an answer after the injury to tight end Dennis Pitta.

Smith also still flashes big-play potential. He averaged 16.1 yards per catch in 2012 and 17.6 in 2011.

He’s durable, and willing to play through bumps and bruises. Besides the 2003 season, in which he was out 15 games, the former third-round pick out of Utah (2001) has missed only 11 games in his other 12 seasons.

Minutes before Smith was released by the Panthers, newly re-signed Ravens wide receiver Jacoby Jons was asked for his take on potentially adding Smith.

“He can play,” Jones said. “It would be nice. I’m open arms.”

NJarhead 03-14-2014 04:31 PM

Re: Steve Smith signs 3 Year Deal with Ravens

............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Atlanta Dan 03-14-2014 04:52 PM

Fine with me - Smith is used up

Fire Arians 03-14-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 1278019)
Fine with me - Smith is used up

i wouldn't say that, but joe unibrow hitting a small target? unlikely :chuckle:

JonM229 03-14-2014 05:11 PM

Jealousy is an ugly thing

CheeseHeadSteeler 03-14-2014 05:24 PM

I don't Smith is "used up" but he is not a top 20 WR any more. The Ravens' get better at WR for with this signing, and the others this offseason, but Flacco had 1 good play-off run and what is going to be the situation with Rice come next season?

Fire Arians 03-14-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM229 (Post 1278030)

yeah i totally wish i had joe jacco instead of roethlisberger :toofunny:

NJarhead 03-14-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 1278021)
i wouldn't say that, but joe unibrow hitting a small target? unlikely :chuckle:

:iagree:

Also...
:sign02:

SteelersCanada 03-14-2014 05:45 PM

It looks like Torrey got his "move the chains" receiver. The Ravens' offense is still pretty average and lacking an All Pro calibre player anywhere.

I'm very ok with this signing. Mitchell and Smith are both trash talkers, so it'll be interesting to see what Smith says when Mike knocks him the fuck out over the middle. I mean... it'll be interesting seeing two former teammates going up against one another - like gentlemen.

Buddha Bus 03-14-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM229 (Post 1278030)

Well hello there Jealousy! I'm Buddha Bus. Nice to meet you! :hatsoff: