Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   [Article] Mark Cuban: "Greedy " NFL Is 10 Years From Implosion (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=102795)

SteelerEmpire 03-24-2014 10:02 AM

Mark Cuban: "Greedy " NFL Is 10 Years From Implosion

Ok. Now the professional business people are seeing it. And I thought we were all just dumb fans complaining.

Article:

You know that billion-dollar enterprise otherwise known as the NFL? Yeah, it's going to crash and burn in a decade.

At least that's the opinion of often controversial Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban...

LINK: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Atlanta Dan 03-24-2014 10:21 AM

Re: Mark Cuban: "Greedy " NFL Is 10 Years From Implosion

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire (Post 1282458)
Ok. Now the professional business people are seeing it. And I thought we were all just dumb fans complaining.

Article:

You know that billion-dollar enterprise otherwise known as the NFL? Yeah, it's going to crash and burn in a decade.

At least that's the opinion of often controversial Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban...

LINK: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Always nice to hear someone who conned Yahoo into buying his company with $50 million in annual revenue for $6 billion during the late 90s dot.com bubble lecturing on the evils of being "greedy.":chuckle:

I had thought Cuban was going to comment on the game being in mortal peril because playing it causes brain damage and many parents are not going to allow their sons to play it - that would make sense.

But instead Cuban contends the NFL is in danger of being overexposed?:doh: The NBA season starts before Halloween, wraps up shortly before the 4th of July, and has a 16 team playoff season which potentially can go 28 games after a 82 game regular season. The NBA is on TV as often as NCIS re-runs and Cuban is contending it is the NFL that is in danger of being overexposed? Perhaps he should worry about his own league being unable to get even most NBA fans to pay attention to it until the Super Bowl is over since the regular season is pretty much meaningless and go to his fellow owners to discuss whether the NBA is overexposed.

Consider the possibility Cuban is chapped because even though he owns a NBA champion his fellow Dallas owner Jerry Jones leaves him in the dust in terms of franchise value and popularity with a team that has not won a playoff game since the mid-90s

One response here

Cuban might well have a visionary window into a future result that we can't project based on current information. But for the moment, his suggestion that the NFL is on a path to implode seems more like wishful thinking than anything else.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...-wrong-for-now

If the players hold the line on a 16 game schedule I do not think overexposure is close to a big problem. The CBS Thursday night games do not add to the number of games, just put them on a more accessible network.

SteelerEmpire 03-24-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 1282459)
Always nice to hear someone who conned Yahoo into buying his company with $50 million in annual revenue for $6 billion during the late 90s dot.com bubble lecturing on the evils of being "greedy.":chuckle:

I had thought Cuban was going to comment on the game being in mortal peril because playing it causes brain damage and many parents are not going to allow their sons to play it - that would make sense.

But instead Cuban contends the NFL is in danger of being overexposed?:doh: The NBA season starts before Halloween, wraps up shortly before the 4th of July, and has a 16 team playoff season which potentially can go 28 games after a 82 game regular season. The NBA is on TV as often as NCIS re-runs and Cuban is contending it is the NFL that is in danger of being overexposed? Perhaps he should worry about his own league being unable to get even most NBA fans to pay attention to it until the Super Bowl is over since the regular season is pretty much meaningless and go to his fellow owners to discuss whether the NBA is overexposed.

Consider the possibility Cuban is chapped because even though he owns a NBA champion his fellow Dallas owner Jerry Jones leaves him in the dust in terms of franchise value and popularity with a team that has not won a playoff game since the mid-90s

One response here

Cuban might well have a visionary window into a future result that we can't project based on current information. But for the moment, his suggestion that the NFL is on a path to implode seems more like wishful thinking than anything else.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...-wrong-for-now

If the players hold the line on a 16 game schedule I do not think overexposure is close to a big problem. The CBS Thursday night games do not add to the number of games, just put them on a more accessible network.

Yea. I thought there was gonna be some reference to all the rule changes that Goodell is trying to implement (as an example: heading towards no more kickoffs) or rookies not getting the big pay check right out of college, etc... But unless Cuban didn't explain himself clearly, or some of his points were left out of the article, I don't really understand what he's talking about... as of yet.

I guess he's using his "Shark Tank" evaluation skills to critique the league ? He needs to elaborate further...

Fire Arians 03-24-2014 12:45 PM

i wouldn't be surprised, but if any league implodes it will be the NBA first. if they thought there were divas in the nfl, it doesnt compare

GodfatherofSoul 03-24-2014 01:00 PM

I've been saying this for a while and Mark Cuban is an expert on a sports league imploding. The NFL is making all the same mistakes the NBA made about 15 years ago when they were #1 and decided to get greedy. Screwing around with the rules foundation, shady reffing, milking fans, squeezing networks, skewing coverage from the sport to the personalities, and to top it off trying to screw the players out of their cut of the pie. Anyone who watched the downfall of the NBA has seen the same things happening under Goodell.

As big a douchebag as Mark Cuban is, he actually called out the other NBA owners back then when they started the money grab.

NSMaster56 03-24-2014 01:01 PM

The NBA won't implode so long as the owners hold such a distinct advantage over the players union and continue to make money hand over fist.

The biggest threats to the NFL's current model are injuries/insurance (concussion lawsuits, life insurance/stipends) and the dissolution of its developmental system.

Recent lawsuits have forced the NCAA to stop production of video games and certain merchandise sales. Further lawsuits could change the 'student athlete' definition (paid collegiates or a minor league system).

If the NFL had to finance its own minor league systems (like MLB and the NBA) then that would affect its 'bottom line'. A better player compensation plan would, too.

Cuban's comments only hold true in an over saturated market, but the NFL's season is so short and well-marketed (weekly events culminating in the playoffs) that their popularity shouldn't wane unless even more AFL-like rules affect public perception... but that seems unlikely (on a large scale).

As for leagues more likely to implode, the NHL has to be #1 on any list. It has two work stoppages in 20 years and it doesn't make nearly as much money as any of the other 'big three' leagues.

JonM229 03-24-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSMaster56 (Post 1282506)
As for leagues more likely to implode, the NHL has to be #1 on any list. It has two work stoppages in 20 years and it doesn't make nearly as much money as any of the other 'big three' leagues.

Only Canadians care about this

SteelersCanada 03-24-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

The NHL has been growing in popularity for a decade. The MLB has been steadily decreasing now for a long time.

harrison'samonster 03-24-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

The biggest threats to the NFL's current model are injuries/insurance (concussion lawsuits, life insurance/stipends) and the dissolution of its developmental system.

great point! the more kids that stay away from football and the talent level drops and the money in college drops and then the NFL will be in trouble.

as for basketball, who can seriously stand hearing those squeaky shoes?

GodfatherofSoul 03-24-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

The NBA won't implode so long as the owners hold such a distinct advantage over the players union and continue to make money hand over fist.

Recent lawsuits have forced the NCAA to stop production of video games and certain merchandise sales. Further lawsuits could change the 'student athlete' definition (paid collegiates or a minor league system).

If the NFL had to finance its own minor league systems (like MLB and the NBA) then that would affect its 'bottom line'. A better player compensation plan would, too.

Cuban's comments only hold true in an over saturated market, but the NFL's season is so short and well-marketed (weekly events culminating in the playoffs) that their popularity shouldn't wane unless even more AFL-like rules affect public perception... but that seems unlikely (on a large scale).

I guess I didn't take "implode" literally as in "cease to exist." I took it as take a dive the way the NBA did.