Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   [BREAKING] U.S. Patent Office cancels multiple Redskins trademarks (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=103610)

Bane 06-18-2014 10:09 AM

U.S. Patent Office cancels multiple Redskins trademarks

Pwnt. Barring a successful appeal, this is the beginning of the end of the name.
Quote:

U.S. Patent office cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging
BY THERESA VARGAS June 18 at 9:56 AM
The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

“This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.” The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word “Redskin.”

“We are extraordinarily gratified to have prevailed in this case,” Alfred Putnam Jr., the chairman of Drinker Biddle & Reath, said. “The dedication and professionalism of our attorneys and the determination of our clients have resulted in a milestone victory that will serve as an historic precedent.”

Theresa Vargas is a reporter for the Post’s local enterprise team.
http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/us...789_story.html

NJarhead 06-18-2014 10:13 AM

Re: U.S. Patent Office cancels multiple Redskins trademarks

Un-fucking-believable.

After 82 years......shame.

The_Joker 06-18-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 (Post 1326062)
Un-fucking-believable.

After 82 years......shame.

See what a campaign of misinformation and slander can do?

It's not over yet, not if they can successfully appeal.

NJarhead 06-18-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackjack (Post 1326063)
See what a campaign of misinformation and slander can do?

It's not over yet, not if they can successfully appeal.

If I'm Dan Snyder, I'm moving the team. Fuck D.C.

Hello L.A. Injustices!

The_Joker 06-18-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 (Post 1326064)
If I'm Dan Snyder, I'm moving the team. Fuck D.C.

Hello L.A. Injustices!

Toby Vis is going to have a field day when he hears the news.

Because American courts always rule fairly and with all the facts in mind, right?

The_Joker 06-18-2014 10:19 AM

Remember folks, this has happened before, and every time the Redskins came back and won.

Not quite over.

Bane 06-18-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackjack (Post 1326066)
Remember folks, this has happened before, and every time the Redskins came back and won.

Not quite over.

They've never had their trademarks revoked. The cases brought against them were always thrown out or won by the Redskins.

This one doesn't look good for the Redskins, considering the NFL likely wouldn't allow a non-trademarked team to operate in the league, so I could see a name change taking place before a decision is even made, even if it's just temporary.

The_Joker 06-18-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bane (Post 1326067)
They've never had their trademarks revoked. The cases brought against them were always thrown out or won by the Redskins.

This one doesn't look good for the Redskins, considering the NFL likely wouldn't allow a non-trademarked team to operate in the league, so I could see a name change taking place before a decision is even made, even if it's just temporary.

Well, Snyder already has Warriors trademarked I believe, so if that's what the trademark must be for the time being, so be it.

It's not going to stop here, you know. The anti-Redskins folks want all native american imagery gone from sports. The Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves, Indians, they're all on the chopping block. Our dear friend Vis has made that abundantly clear.

Vis 06-18-2014 10:28 AM

Someone predicted this. Who was that?

I think Quack should buy me a beer at the next SF jamboree

NJarhead 06-18-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vis (Post 1326070)
Someone predicted this. Who was that?

I think Quack should buy me a Zima at the next SF jamboree

Fixed. :chuckle: