Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   LeBeau says this defense is the best he's seen at OTAs (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=103615)

vrabinec 06-18-2014 04:02 PM

LeBeau says this defense is the best he's seen at OTAs

Okay, it's just OTA's, but when LeBeau says something like this, instant chub.

“Right now at this stage of the game I’m very excited about where we are. We’ve had as good an OTAs (practices) as I’ve been a part of.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...h-fast-defense

Lady Steel 06-18-2014 04:07 PM

Re: LeBeau says this defense is the best he's seen at OTAs

Dick LeBeau :heart:

Justin Otstott 06-18-2014 04:08 PM

Sounds promising, now lets produce.

polamalubeast 06-18-2014 04:10 PM

wow

SteelersCanada 06-18-2014 04:13 PM

I'm conflicted. Whenever someone like LeBeau says something like this, it's always important to take notice and get a little bit excited about where this defense is heading with the youth and talent we have. On the flip side, it's OTAs. It's football in shorts. One would think it would be a little difficult to get a pulse on the defense this early, especially with Polamalu just showing up now to mandatory minicamp.

Cyphon 06-18-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1326272)
I'm conflicted. Whenever someone like LeBeau says something like this, it's always important to take notice and get a little bit excited about where this defense is heading with the youth and talent we have. On the flip side, it's OTAs. It's football in shorts. One would think it would be a little difficult to get a pulse on the defense this early, especially with Polamalu just showing up now to mandatory minicamp.

DL seems to get nicer as the years go by anyway.

Sounds like hyperbole to me.

harrison'samonster 06-18-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyphon (Post 1326284)
DL seems to get nicer as the years go by anyway.

Sounds like hyperbole to me.

not necessarily hyperbole, it might be his honest opinion. But as others have pointed out, does the best at this point of ota's necessarily transition into the best when the season is on the line? the answer we've all see to have come up with is: no.

Fire Arians 06-18-2014 04:45 PM

as far as talent goes there's been a big influx of it on the defensive side. if the players can meet their full potential this defense has what it takes to be as good as any defense in the league

the only thing i'm worried with this squad is the ability to generate a pass rush, we're thin at the OLB position. however with the talent we have at ILB, im sure we could send our inside backers on blitzes and still not be overly vulnerable, since both timmons and shazier are capable in coverage if the other is rushing. i know timmons would hardly ever blitz because foote / williams were liabilities in coverage. Now it could really come from anywhere, i like it.

Cyphon 06-18-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison'samonster (Post 1326287)
not necessarily hyperbole, it might be his honest opinion. But as others have pointed out, does the best at this point of ota's necessarily transition into the best when the season is on the line? the answer we've all see to have come up with is: no.

I am not so sure. And if it his honest opinion maybe his memory is fading.

Our number 1 corner on the depth chart is on the decline, we have a very questionable OLB group and a rookie starter at ILB on a D where rookies usually don't do so well.

Even if they do look especially energetic or exciting I can't see where they would even come close to the Troy prime D's from not so long ago.

pczach 06-18-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersCanada (Post 1326272)

Yeah, It's not often you hear LeBeau say something like this. We are hearing many of the coaches talk about rookies in glowing terms. I've never heard this much positive chatter from coaches about young talent for as long as I've been following this team. It's almost too good to be true.

I'll take an approach of cautious optimism.