Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The NFL needs more player like Dunn (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1052)

clevestinks 07-02-2005 07:10 AM

The NFL needs more player like Dunn

I remember reading different stories on Warrick Dunn for years now. Starting in college when he decided to stay in school and graduate, instead of heading into NFL for big cash. He was quoted as saying " I was poor my whole life so far, whats one more year?"
Congrats to him for this award.

On Monday, June 27, Rich McKay, President & General Manager of the Atlanta Falcons, and John Rawlings, Editorial Director of Sporting News, presented Atlanta Falcons running back Warrick Dunn with the Sporting News' "No. 1 Good Guy" award during a Press Conference at the Arthur M. Blank Family Offices.

Dunn will also be honored in the annual Good Guys issue of Sporting News along with 95 of his peers.

For the past seven years, in an effort to counter the prevailing -- and false -- impression that all athletes are selfish, care only about themselves and do more wrong than good, Sporting News magazine has honored one outstanding professional athlete as the "No. 1 Good Guy" of the year.

Nominated by their individual teams and leagues and chosen by the staff of the Sporting News, the "Good Guy" award honors those who open their hearts as well as their wallets to serve the needy and unfortunate as well as improve their communities through their compassion and generosity. "Good Guy" awards are presented to top athletes from the NFL, MLB, NBA and NASCAR, and then the "No. 1 Good Guy" is chosen from all sports. The entire list of "Good Guys" is revealed in the July 5th issue of the Sporting News, which hits newsstands June 30th

Warrick Dunn has set the bar high for future "Good Guy" award recipients. Since 1997, The Warrick Dunn Foundation and his Homes for the Holidays program has maintained the goal of keeping his late mother's dream of home ownership alive by assisting hard working single mothers in owning their first home. Dunn provides $5,000 towards a down payment on a house and then surprises the new owner by furnishing the house with everything a first-time homeowner would need including: furniture, food, linens, gardening supplies, washer, dryer, dishes, pots and pans, toothbrushes, etc. To date The Warrick Dunn Foundation has assisted 52 single mothers and 135 children in Atlanta, GA, Baton Rouge, LA, and Tampa, FL.

RoethlisBURGHer 07-02-2005 10:51 AM

Re: The NFL needs more player like Dunn

I wish there were more players like him.

bengalsfan21 07-02-2005 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer

I agree...heres to Dunn :drink:

Prosdo 07-02-2005 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer

Same here. It's nice to see players use their position to help people.

BlitzburghRockCity 07-02-2005 03:23 PM

It's always nice to see players stay true to themselves even when they make it to the big time stage.

bigbensgirl7 07-02-2005 03:48 PM

What a guy!!! :sun: WE need more people like him in the world!!!

LambertIsGod58 07-02-2005 06:38 PM

Dunn is one of the few class acts in the NFL....

clevestinks 07-02-2005 10:32 PM

Hey a thread with NO disagreements!

Prosdo 07-03-2005 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevestinks
Hey a thread with NO disagreements!

That is EXTREMELY rare lol