Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Going out on a Limb: Ben has a good game (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=11259)

theropodx 10-06-2006 03:19 PM

Going out on a Limb: Ben has a good game

I'm so tired of hearing armchair qb's in this forum toss out theories about Ben's performance. I've heard everything from "he's got post-tramatic stress disorder" to "he's jinxed."

BS. The team (including Ben--but not as much as people say) has played poorly. Yes, Ben has thrown INTs, but many have come late in the game when errors by other players have forced the issue. Yes, he's missed passes, but rookie receivers were not following their routes. Yes he's been hurting, and he's rusty (there, I said it), but it's not PTSD or a jinx (whatever that is).

I'd love to give a lesson in statistics, but I don't have the time and they wouldn't get it anyway. But in a nutshell:

Because both losses were one score losses, the distance between those games being won was slight. One less fumble, one more receiver where he's supposed to be--dozens of other non qb errors corrected--and we win those games. We could so easily be 3-0 right now and people would be going on about how great Ben is and how they knew all along he would snap right back. Right.

And that's the problem: people here (and everywhere) are so good at calling it AFTER it happens. So, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I predict:

1.) The last two games were a product of natural statistical variations more than anything else and odds are Ben will have a good game at SD, if not one of his best performances.

2.) Win or lose, Ben will start playing good again. What's more, the TEAM will start playing better, and we'll come out of this season with a strong finish.

So there you go. Laying out my opinions before the game, not after. Risky I know. Ya'll should try it too.

stlrtruck 10-06-2006 03:36 PM

Re: Going out on a Limb: Ben has a good game

Well put! Like you, I agree that Ben will come through when it all matters and that the team as a whole has played poorly. I haven't called for anyone's head (at least not yet) after the game.

When it's all said and done, we'll answer the bell(s) and come out fighting once again!

I also think that Ben will have a sound game this Sunday night and all this crap will be behind us for another long run into the playoffs and the start of another dynasty!

Chamberlain 10-06-2006 03:41 PM

I agree with most of what you said, but having watched the Jacksonville game, he did seem a little hesitant to move in the pocket and make plays happen, probably a result of not wanting to get hit and thus complicate his appendix surgery further. This hurt him, because he is a big, mobile guy who has the ability to make things happen on the run when healthy. But I agree that it is also a team effort, and receivers have been dropping balls and returners have been dropping punts. The defense has been doing it's part, it's time for the offense to step up. I think this will happen in San Diego.

Haiku_Dirtt 10-06-2006 03:48 PM

You forgot 'separation anxiety'. Don't you think Ben just misses his appendix? :hug:

Anyway. From what I gather the vast majority are disappointed but very level headed about the losses. As you point out the "statistical variations" - umm poor execution - give reason to believe we could easily be 3-0 or 2-1. So the proverbial pendulum could swing back the other way on Sunday night with a better set of variations.

Sure. Going into Baltimore on Thankgiving weekend with a 7-3 record would make me very happy.

steelfan 92 10-06-2006 04:24 PM

i don't think that is going out on a limb, i have a great feeling that he is going to have an fantastic game. maybe 2 - 3 touchwown passes. wisehunt just needs to be smart and call a better game. maybe go back to what he did in last years playoff and superbowl run, some parts are different, but we still have the talent.

billcowherschin 10-06-2006 08:54 PM

good evening steeler nation. i am fairly new at posting on this site and want to gain some rep around here, i like the way you guys give rep points and levels and all....anyways to the football....its clear that bens numbers arent what we have grown to expect him but you have to look at the overall flow of both games....jacksonville jumped us from the begining setting a hard nosed tempo that we were happy to meet through the first half, as the game went on and we were down with time closing out been was forced to try to move the ball into some tight spots when they new we were going to pass, and not to mention that mathis is one of the best corners in the game, possibly one of the top three, and he broke our backs witht he first pic....against the bengals, the int he threw in the endzone would have been a touchdown if the ball was lobbed over the top, and the bengals jumped underneath the toss, and despite losing a chance to go up 14-0, and trailing at the half, we came back with our power game to take a lead, it wasnt ben that gave up the two tds in 52 seconds, it was a bad special teams play and a verron fumble, which again leaves ben in bad situations late in the game. against san diego on sunday night i believe if they force us to pass the ball ben will have one of his best games ever as a pro, san diego has a fantastic run defense, but i am not at all impressed with the secondary. although they are a very physical team as well, i think our offensive line can contain them from getting to ben long enough to pick apart a week secondary unit...well lets see how these "out on a limb" predictions fly, even though i dont think they are far fetched at all....

STEELERS 21
CHARGERS 10

19ward86 10-07-2006 09:34 AM

i believe that roethlisberger will have a good game but i dont agree that the rest of the team has played poorly. they have been up to par. last year they eagled every hole but since polamalu is injured and hope is gone we have only been up to par which has still way above average. people say weve been blown out this year...just because we got shut out, may i need to remind them that the score was 9-0 not 41-0.

SteelersWoman 10-07-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19ward86 (Post 158751)
may i need to remind them that the score was 9-0 not 41-0.

This is what I've been sayin all along. That score would've been a LOT worse had our team been "really" bad.

I'm not saying our guys played completely up to par that day, (we all know they didn't) but as you said--our not up to par is still better than most team's best. I was not at all disappointed with keeping the Jags down to a single digit number. No one else (not even the Colts) have been able to do that, and I doubt any other team they play this year will be able to either.

stillers4me 10-07-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersWoman (Post 158785)
This is what I've been sayin all along. That score would've been a LOT worse had our team been "really" bad.

I'm not saying our guys played completely up to par that day, (we all know they didn't) but as you said--our not up to par is still better than most team's best. I was not at all disappointed with keeping the Jags down to a single digit number. No one else (not even the Colts) have been able to do that, and I doubt any other team they play this year will be able to either.

Amen!

Btrice 10-07-2006 03:57 PM

There were multiple times in the past two games on third and medium yardage that the receivers were all covered and Ben had an opportunity to run and slide for the first down but he didn't. If he never did that before then I wouldn't be saying anything, but we have all seen him rush forward like a back in those positions before, sometimes absorbing a hit rather than even sliding. When he starts doing that again, I think we can say that he is back to his old self (not necessarliy the absorbing the hits part, that is kind of novice and not indictitive of somebody who wants a long career)