Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=11305)

Carolina Steelers 10-08-2006 11:01 PM

Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
What was that a fake punt, end around with Mcfadden, then a flea flicker for an interception are we getting that desperate. If the Ravens win tommorrow it could be a long season. I dont think Cowhers heart is in this season he showing me no passion, just my observation. I'll be cheering for the Broncos Mon. night. cant let the Ravens go to 5-0 thats a big hole for us to dig out of even though we play them twice still.

clarient 10-08-2006 11:38 PM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
His scowl didn't even look all that scowly when he went to congratulate the Charger's coach after the game.

DoctorJanSteelerFan 10-09-2006 01:09 AM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
I think you're both right about Cowher. He won his ring and he really couldn't care less anymore about another one. My mom pointed out how Cowher doesn't seem to care... she also said she sees how bad a QB Ben is this year compared to last year. And she is 80 years old! She said if SHE can see it, why on earth can't the coaches see it?

X-Terminator 10-09-2006 01:26 AM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorJanSteelerFan (Post 159646)
I think you're both right about Cowher. He won his ring and he really couldn't care less anymore about another one. My mom pointed out how Cowher doesn't seem to care... she also said she sees how bad a QB Ben is this year compared to last year. And she is 80 years old! She said if SHE can see it, why on earth can't the coaches see it?

So let's bench Ben, the franchise QB, over a few bad games, and further destroy what confidence he has left. Yeah, sounds like a novel idea to me! :dang:

DoctorJanSteelerFan 10-09-2006 02:07 AM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Terminator (Post 159649)
So let's bench Ben, the franchise QB, over a few bad games, and further destroy what confidence he has left. Yeah, sounds like a novel idea to me! :dang:

lol Ok, I know what you're saying X-T, but I probably didn't make myself very clear. :cheers:

Does it make sense for the coaches to keep putting a guy in who isn't recovered, never got the rehab he needed, and continues to struggle without even realizing that he is struggling? His confidence is getting more and more shattered with each loss. I'm not blaming Ben completely for playing bad (even tho he made bad choices). I'm faulting the medical staff and coaches for either not understanding or denying what his injuries did to him physically and especially mentally/psychologically for playing professional football. His confidence is getting shattered out on the field because he didn't GET the right rehab to begin with. They put their heads in the sand and treated him like he was either superman or an accountant going back to a desk job. I'd love to see Ben back to his potential but that won't happen just throwing him back out onto the football field week after week. They can keep putting him out there and he might recover slowly but it's a crapshoot to know when that will be.

So back to the original post...

X-Terminator 10-09-2006 02:21 AM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorJanSteelerFan (Post 159653)
lol Ok, I know what you're saying X-T, but I probably didn't make myself very clear. :cheers:

Does it make sense for the coaches to keep putting a guy in who isn't recovered, never got the rehab he needed, and continues to struggle without even realizing that he is struggling? His confidence is getting more and more shattered with each loss. I'm not blaming Ben completely for playing bad (even tho he made bad choices). I'm faulting the medical staff and coaches for either not understanding or denying what his injuries did to him physically and especially mentally/psychologically for playing professional football. His confidence is getting shattered out on the field because he didn't GET the right rehab to begin with. They put their heads in the sand and treated him like he was either superman or an accountant going back to a desk job. I'd love to see Ben back to his potential but that won't happen just throwing him back out onto the football field week after week. They can keep putting him out there and he might recover slowly but it's a crapshoot to know when that will be.

OK, now that you have put it in this sense, I understand where you are coming from. Sorry I've been so hard on you - I'm just a guy who doesn't have much patience for bandwagonism. :cheers:

Actually, I know a couple of people who were skeptical after his accident that he may not be the same QB afterward, that it would mess him up psychologically, so your thoughts here aren't off-base. Even I admit to having some of the same fears, but when I saw him take the field and saw for myself how good he looked in camp prior to the preseason games, I thought he was ready to go. I don't think anyone on the team really felt like he wasn't ready psychologically by then, because I'm sure Ben didn't give them any indication that he wasn't, but something that can linger in a person's subconscious. It's possible that his decision-making and reluctance to take off and run like he had been in the past could be the result of a mental block stemming from the accident and his other health problems, as clearly he is not the same QB he has been. But I still don't agree with benching him for any reason.

SteelersFreak 10-09-2006 05:41 AM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
It's interesting that if we run on the flea flicker, it keeps the drive moving and we may even be able to score and make it 17-0 I believe. Then, on the fake punt, we could've pinned the Chargers way back and if we force a punt, we have great field position.

Elvis 10-09-2006 06:06 AM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
Good thread Steelersfreak... you make alot of sense and that is exactly what I was thinking last night late in the 4th quarter... Ben's Int's need to be corrected or our season is over now...

19ward86 10-09-2006 08:07 AM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
they dont work as well without randle el.

Mosca 10-09-2006 08:32 AM

Re: Desperation, 2 trick plays that back fired!
 
I logged in this morning planning on discussing this, knowing that it would be a hot topic.

I didn't mind the fake punt, we had the Chargers pretty well stuffed at that point. The flea flicker, otoh, that bugged me. It was 3rd and a half a yard. The offense was clicking. The Chargers didn't know what was coming next. I mean, what's wrong with getting the first down and grinding your way to the goal line over the next 5 minutes? Instead we transferred momentum to the Chargers, they drive 91 yards, and all of a sudden we're not winning.

It reminds me of something that sometimes happens in casino gambling. A bettor is doing OK; maybe up a few hundred dollars, playing smart, working the odds. And then, he takes half his stake and makes a colossally bad bet, one that has a big payoff, but horribly long odds that come nowhere near justifying the chance taken. Maybe, puts half his stake on the field. Or bets half the bankroll on 00 at roulette.

In gambling it's called losing your head. What happens next, after you invariably lose the bet, is that your remaining stake isn't large enough to churn your way back to even; the vig is always working, and there isn't enough time left in the session. So in order to get back what you blew, you have to take increasingly longer chances at worse odds. And eventually you're on the way home, at the toll booth looking under the seat for change.

The game wasn't over at that point, but we were in control of it. We had the lead, the ball, and the momentum. We had them off balance, and we gambled it all on a play where we didn't have to do that to win. Bad, bad coaching decision.


Tom


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum