Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ron Cook: Offensive line a little off center (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=11400)

Atlanta Dan 10-13-2006 07:54 AM

Ron Cook: Offensive line a little off center

Ron Cook properly calls out the offensive line, which has been horrible in the Jax and San Diego losses:

But don't we expect so much more from the Steelers' offensive linemen? They've been such a strong unit. Hartings and Faneca made the Pro Bowl last season and tackle Marvel Smith would have joined them if not for an ankle injury. The line deserves much of the credit for the Super Bowl success. But now? It gets the vote here as the most disappointing group on an underachieving team that has received lousy play from its quarterback, wide receivers and secondary.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06286/729681-87.stm

Cook specifically notes Kendall Simmons is once again playing poorly. Does anyone know if Simmons is in the last year of his contract? I know Hartings is probably in his last year and Faneca is potentially entering the downside of his career, but if this is Simmons last year on his contract I assume he is gone after 2006. Simmons has had some tough breaks with the diabetes and major knee injury, but he also has been an inconsistent disappointment.

19ward86 10-13-2006 09:27 AM

Re: Ron Cook: Offensive line a little off center

that is kind of dumb, we have a strong offensive line with or without simmons. our weakest part is our tackle and tight end position(when i say strong or weak i dont mean muscle wise). notice that the blitzes have come from the OLB and not from the safeties. we need to take control of this and do some draw runs up the middle and ben needs to start stepping up in the pocket a little more.

tony hipchest 10-13-2006 09:32 AM

the pocket has been pushed into bens face much of the time. nowhere for him to step up.

Haiku_Dirtt 10-13-2006 01:27 PM

The right side of the line was often a debate in here this offseason for a reason. Max still hasn't found the way to leverage that Hulk-sized frame the counter the faster assault. Frankly I'm not sure he ever will.

Russ Grimm is probably feeling some heat.

19ward86 10-13-2006 01:32 PM

ok, i will admit that our line has broke down a few times but our offensive line is built around run blocking or pushing guys in a 1 way direction, pass blocking is our weakness or holding guys back. our line is built on guys that can overpower others, and that is why a 5th round pick can become a star in pitt because if they are big and strong then they can be successful.

SteelCityPride 10-13-2006 02:55 PM

I'm interested to see what Keomatu will do this week. That guy looked like a manchild in both of his preseasons to date. I have been rooting for him to get some playing time, but it is hard to fit him in with such a solid line that we already had. I think he ould be a good play for Simmons, maybe not right off the bat, but after some development that guy should be good.

Elvis 10-14-2006 06:50 PM

Good point steelecitpride... I love that guy and we will finally get a look at him in real game action... I for one am glad to see it..:thumbsup: