Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Would you hold out ? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1273)

BlitzburghRockCity 07-29-2005 12:07 AM

Would you hold out ?

Obviously its hard to imagine since most of us will never be in a position like Hines is right now or any other player.. but take for example what Ward is going thru now. Somebody throws, say almost 50 million at you...but ur agent tills you, we can get atleast 60 million if u hold out and stand ur ground, they'll come around. Meanwhile everyday your reputation is more and more tarnished and u make more and more enemies of the fans and ur team mates start to wonder if everything you ever preached is true.

Yeah, its a business and u have to look for yourself and get the best deal possible. I understand that, I know HInes wants what he feels is fair...but how much better can u live ur life on 60 million instead of 50 million ? I mean really !

BB2W 07-29-2005 12:21 AM

Re: Would you hold out ?

I would like to think I would never hold out. I try to honor my word, and my signature. It is a contract.....whats the point in them if you don't uphold your end of the bargain. If you are not happy with your contract, you should not have signed it. You only other option is to complete the contract and when it expires, you get all the money you can. If you think you are worth more money, then don't sign a five year deal.....you should sign a short term contract so you can prove yourself, and when it expires you get all the money you can.

That said, I think Hines situation is unique in that he has clearly out performed his contract. We have had him cheap, and he has been one of the best receivers in the league. I still think he should show up and play, and if it is all about the money.....break the bank with the Steelers or hit free agency.....

Prosdo 07-29-2005 12:24 AM

I don't know thats a tough question. As BB2W said he did sign a contract that is his word, but at the same time you have to recall last year. Hines will be our top priority. The two sides have not spoke as much as they needed to. If I were Hines I have to say I would feel a little insulted. Maybe insulted is not the best word, but I think you get what I mean.

BlitzburghRockCity 07-29-2005 12:27 AM

I just think, u've got no right to hold out..nobody does, if u r under contract, and u outplay it..so be it, stick to your word, finish out your contract and then seek more compensation. There's nothing wrong w/ renogiating an extension in the middle, but when u hold out, that lowers ur honor and ur credability alittle if u ask me. If you're TO, people expect u to hold out becuz ur an ass and a selfish player.. If you're a Hines Ward, Tim Brown, Marvin Harrison, any other respected team player, people expect you to keep your word.

Prosdo 07-29-2005 12:33 AM

True. I don't like it by any means, but in a way I can understand it. I have to say it does surprise me that he would hold out. I don't know it just never seemed like him. Anyway lets hope this deal gets done soon. I don't want to see this go too much longer. Nice sig change by the way Blitz.

BB2W 07-29-2005 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prosdo
I don't know thats a tough question. As BB2W said he did sign a contract that is his word, but at the same time you have to recall last year. Hines will be our top priority. The two sides have not spoke as much as they needed to. If I were Hines I have to say I would feel a little insulted. Maybe insulted is not the best word, but I think you get what I mean.

When they said Hines will be their to priority, that did not mean they would give him 60 million. It is a contract negotiation, and they offered him a very big deal....like 49 mil. If he feels he is worth more, he should finish out the deal and he can try to negotiate at the end of this year, or hit free agency.

I think the deal they offered him was very fair.....

This turned into another Hines thread, sorry. So.....Whould you hold out?

Prosdo 07-29-2005 12:41 AM

I understand that. I was just refering to how negotiations were barely happening and when they did happen they stalled soon after. I do think they will come to an agreement. That is good money and I think he will probably end up taking it.

BlitzburghRockCity 07-29-2005 12:48 AM

Yeah, I was just thinking that I know the STeelers front office and players read the message boards periodically and hopefully someone will see it and tell him about it to help inspire him to sign :D yeah its dumb I know, but I can dream cant I !

BlitzburghRockCity 07-29-2005 12:50 AM

Think of it this way too. The Steelers had to prioritize the draft picks and getting them to camp. they knew they'd have em all signed before camp, so they now have 2 solid months to concentrate on Hines alone and get it done. Its all strategy, they knew what they were doing.

Prosdo 07-29-2005 12:51 AM

Good point. I guess I just don't like how this is going.