Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What do you want?????? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1277)

clevestinks 07-29-2005 02:52 PM

What do you want??????
 
Do you want Hines Ward to break the bank, and jeopardize are future?

Or should they make him play just this year, then worry about the next receiver next year?

Will other players will see the Steelers give in to Hines and expect the same treatment?

Will all are all pro players want to be the next highest paid Steelers player?

As much as we all Love Hines Ward, do we really want this???

atlsteelers 07-29-2005 03:09 PM

Re: What do you want??????
 
franchise his ass next year and the year after that and the year after that (if still is any good)...look at the colts and james, that way he selfish ass never getts a big signing bonus.. the highest paid player in franchise history...sorry i deserve more...win a afc championship instead of crying to the damn cameras....look at tom brady...the best player in the nfl takes less money than vick to keep as much of the team intact as is possible....go make a lot money with somebody else...remeber yancey thigpen....did not do shit with tennessee after signing a huge contract, what did andre hasting do after he left the steelers for big money? do we want a peyton type contract for this team. thats why i hate peyton, he cares more about his money then winning. i understand, i just do not want that type of player on my team..

Ironman 07-29-2005 04:31 PM

Re: What do you want??????
 
I would let him walk... I love him... but he's sadly... and I hate to say this... He's not Chad Johnson... he's not Marvin Harrison or a, forgive me... Terrell Owens. The Steelers are a smashmouth running team. Ward catches a lot of balls... but he doesn't stretch the field to open up the running game. WRs in this system block 75% of the time. Blocking WR can be had for much less money. In reality... you're not so much blocking as taking a defender to the outside so that they won't sit in the box. Let him walk. With Bill Cowher as Head Coach... and the team still residing in Pittsburgh... the run rules. If Hines wore a 36 instead of an 86... we might be inclined to pay him the money.

steelparrot 07-29-2005 04:57 PM

Re: What do you want??????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by atlsteelers
franchise his ass next year and the year after that and the year after that (if still is any good)...look at the colts and james, that way he selfish ass never getts a big signing bonus.. the highest paid player in franchise history...sorry i deserve more...win a afc championship instead of crying to the damn cameras....look at tom brady...the best player in the nfl takes less money than vick to keep as much of the team intact as is possible....go make a lot money with somebody else...remeber yancey thigpen....did not do shit with tennessee after signing a huge contract, what did andre hasting do after he left the steelers for big money? do we want a peyton type contract for this team. thats why i hate peyton, he cares more about his money then winning. i understand, i just do not want that type of player on my team..

you make a great point about Brady. As much as I don't like him, what he did with his contract was something extremelly rare, and I do respect him for that.

This situation with hines is really pissing me off. Before this he was the "ultimate team player" and all that stuff. Now he goes and pulls this off. Team player?....yea right.

bengalsfan21 07-29-2005 05:00 PM

Re: What do you want??????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelparrot
you make a great point about Brady. As much as I don't like him, what he did with his contract was something extremelly rare, and I do respect him for that.

This situation with hines is really pissing me off. Before this he was the "ultimate team player" and all that stuff. Now he goes and pulls this off. Team player?....yea right.


He wants to be paid and he deserves too be paid.........Take back all his touch downs and catches....How many games would you have lost with out his TD's?

BlitzburghRockCity 07-29-2005 05:23 PM

Re: What do you want??????
 
If it comes down to Hines holding out, and I still dont think he will hold out for long because a deal will get done IMO. But if it comes down to him next year and we still dont have a deal for him, I'd bet money they'll franchise him to buy more time for a deal to be made. If there was ever a player to franchise, its Hines.

HInes griped when Tommy got his extension because he felt the Steelers were giving in..but that subsided and in the end this will too. Hines will sign, I'd be willing to bet on it.

The Steelers will NOT put them selves into a position of cap hell and end up having to dismantle the team at some point and start over. We may walk the line pretty close but we dont cross it.

steelparrot 07-29-2005 07:59 PM

Re: What do you want??????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bengalsfan21
He wants to be paid and he deserves too be paid.........Take back all his touch downs and catches....How many games would you have lost with out his TD's?

Ofcourse Hines needs to get paid. I also understand that he is a huge part of our offense. I'm not mad at the fact that he wants a new contract, I'm mad that he turned down the one we offered him, because I feel that it was very fair.

TheTeenieSteeler 07-29-2005 08:22 PM

Re: What do you want??????
 
Unless you know something that I don't ..... They said maybe he got offered 9 mill signing bonus other than that nobody has a clue at what he was offered. Highest paid Steeler sounds good. What are the numbers. I won't speculate at the numbers until I know what they are. The highest paid Steeler might be the 50th highest paid player ever. We don't know without numbers. Lets do it by position. He can't be replaced. Do you want Moss? Owens? NO!! and I'm sure Hines doesn't demand their money. Marvin is a true stud (al a RICE) and Ward has said he doesn't want his money but be close. Holt is well paid too but his contract hasn't been talked about for awhile. Cause he is well paid and doesn't cry. Ward idn't crying just wants soem fairness. Chad Johnson is underpaid and has stated so. He might hold out too who knows. I mentioned 5 WRs other that Ward who I think are actually better than him. At the position. How would you like to be the 6th best person at the job you do. Come on overall. In the country no matter what you do how would you like to be able to do your job better thatn 6 other people? Would you like to paid like it? Sure you would. I'm not worried the Rooney's and Ward wil come to terms because they are great realistic people......but don't ever let this tarnish Hines image its business. We would all do the same if we could or had the leverage. I know I would.

BlitzburghRockCity 07-30-2005 12:13 AM

Re: What do you want??????
 
Good post Teenie ! The Steelers may have offered him less money, who knows..sooner or later we will but right now only the front office and Hines know what the true story is, so all this is speculation as to who is more in the right and who is more in the wrong here. But I'd also agree that I would take Hines holding out for right now in a contract squabble in the beginning of training camp, than dealing w/ the bullshit of TO or Randy Moss.

Prosdo 07-30-2005 12:19 AM

Re: What do you want??????
 
I agree. TO just signed a deal last year. Hines is on the last year of his deal. Hines has been a very classy guy for as long as I can remember. TO causes to much headaches in my opinion. Don't get me wrong an excellent WR, but he brings quite a bit of drama with him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum