Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Fans United (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pittsburghese useage... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13503)

PisnNapalm 12-21-2006 11:35 PM

Pittsburghese useage...

I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I thought the "Fans United" area was best.

I haven't lived in the Pittsburgh area since I went off to college in 1987. Today as I watched the NFL Films show about Stiller fans again I thought to myself... "I used to talk like that."

So here's my question for you fans that have moved away.... Do you still sound like a Pittsburgher?

Occasionally I will let rip with some phrase or word pronounciation that will spin the heads of those around me.

I still say::

dahntahn
gumbans
slippy
yinz
worsh
nebby
red up
n'at
chipped ham ( I love goin to the deli and asking for "a pahn a chipped ham". They look at me like I got 2 heads.

Oh... I still drop most of the "to be"s from sentences. There's just so much of the dialect that I don't use anymore. It saddens me a bit.

A while back I was talking to someone for the first time and they asked if I was from western PA. I said yes of course and asked how she knew. She said I sounded like it. I took that as a huge compliment. :tt02:

My other question:: If you could move back, would you?

If I could afford to I would move back in a heartbeat.:tt02: Perhaps after the kids have grown and moved away. I dunno.

Ironcityman 12-22-2006 12:13 AM

Re: Pittsburghese useage...

Nice to see the mother tongue spoken! I moved from Pittsburgh in '95, lived in VA, Chicago and now Buffalo. I had a real tough time early on adapting my language so people could understand me. People would look at me strange, especially when saying words like: pole, pull, pool and poll (I don't make a distinction, they're all pronounced the same, also steel and still, or Dawn and Don - Try it and see if you pronounce these differently.

I have two kids that I try and slip in some good Pittsburghese. In case we ever move back, I want them to understand the language!

Take it easy n'at!

iloveben7 12-22-2006 12:18 AM

I can't really answer any of your questions because I've lived in Pittsburgh all of my life and I wouldn't trade it for the world. What better place to be than where the 3 greatest sports play, the nicest people in the world, the most loyal and craziest sports fans, your city has its own language and it's so beautiful!! When I get older, I'm never moving out of Pittsburgh!! I LOVE IT HERE!!

Buzz05 12-22-2006 06:33 AM

I just wanna go back to Pa in general, well central or Western Pa. I always say yinz when i am out with my Baltimore friends, they just look at me like i took one too many to head. I never knew chipped ham had any other names before I moved here. The grocery store people always look at me weird. I still say 'sweep' instead of vacuum and 'red up.' And I ALWAYS say 'lets go dahn tahn' haha I love it. I would move back in half a heart beat

floodcitygirl 12-22-2006 10:00 AM

I've lost most of my accent now but let me just have a phone call with my sister and it's amazing how I pick it right back up without even noticing! I still use the terminology. I lived in Florida for a while when I left PA. I'll never foget the reaction I got when I asked for a gumban......I had never heard it called anything else!!!!!!! :sofunny:

BTW, the look at the deli counter when I asked for "chippy chopped ham" was priceless!!! And how many say "throw me down the"....dirty clothes, sweeper, etc...?????? People around here find that strange too.

lamberts-lost-tooth 12-22-2006 10:09 AM

I went to Borders last night to get my Pittsburgh to English dictionary...and Darn It!!!...all out.

SO....would some kind person please translate these terms for those of us not from the City.

In return I can supply you with some good ole fashioned southern Illinois dialect like "bein have" and "tradin'"...

PisnNapalm 12-22-2006 10:40 AM

http://www.pittsburghese.com :o)

lamberts-lost-tooth 12-22-2006 11:07 AM

Those are freaking hilarious...my partner in here today is from Greensburgh and she is laughing her tail off right now...!!!! Rep points to you!!!

PisnNapalm 12-22-2006 11:38 AM

Thanks man. :)

Mosca 12-22-2006 11:51 AM

How to pronounce "towel": "tal".

I still drop "to be", but I've had to adapt to "rubber bands", can't say "yinz", "pop", "worsh", "nebby", "red up"... no one knew what I was talking about when I said that.

Tom