Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Recipes (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Caroline's Rum Cake (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13633)

HometownGal 12-26-2006 08:37 AM

Caroline's Rum Cake

This is the most delicious rum cake I've ever tasted! This recipe comes from one helluva cook (who also happens to be my first husband's wife -LOL!) She and her sister published a cookbook and I purchased one and am so glad I did- this book has every recipe in it known to mankind and all are easy as pie! This rum cake is very simple to make and a major crowd pleaser! I made a bunch of 'em using loaf pans instead of the Bundt pan and gave one to everyone in my family along with their gifts on Christmas Eve. :thumbsup:

Caution - the cake is pretty "potent", so if you're driving, I'm recommend only eating 1-2 slices - LOL! Enjoy!

CAROLINE'S RUM CAKE

Cake:
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 (3-3/4 oz.) pkg. vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs (you can substitute 1 cup of Eggbeaters here)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup dark rum (80 proof - Bacardi Select is excellent for this purpose!)
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour pan(s). Mix cake mi, puddings, eggs, water, rum and oil until smooth. Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake 1 hour. Cook for 25 minutes. Invert onto serving dish. Prick top of cake with cooking fork.

Rum Glaze:
1/4 lb. butter (can substitute margarine)
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar (can substitute Splenda)
1/2 cup dark rum

Bring butter, sugar and water to boil. Boil about 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Remoe from heat - cool. Add rum. Pour over cake slowly allowing cake to absorb glaze.

Icing:
4 oz. chocolate chips
1 stick butter (or margarine)

Melt butter and chocolate. Drizzle over cake top. Top with chopped nuts.

stillers4me 12-26-2006 11:10 AM

Re: Caroline's Rum Cake

OMG......this sounds wonderfully sinful!! It's going into my "gee, I should make this someday" file!! Thanks!

HometownGal 12-29-2006 01:30 PM

I'm going to try to get down your way in the next month or two and when I come, I'll bring you one, stillers. :thumbsup: It freezes very well, too, even with all of the rum, so you can cut it up and put it in the freezer for future temptation - LOL!

floodcitygirl 12-29-2006 01:54 PM

Did I mention that it sounds yummy to me too??? :whistle:

floodcitygirl 12-29-2006 02:03 PM

Bump....sounds much better than the spammer.