Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   19 year old to be a 1st round pick? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=14571)

tony hipchest 01-27-2007 10:48 PM

19 year old to be a 1st round pick?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9949399

pat kirwan was talking about this kid on tuesday, (he may have his numbers wrong cause today they said okoye was only 286 lbs.) but every indication through a weeks worth of practice and todays sr bowl game is that this guys stock is quickly rising. dick vermiel seems to think his age really doesnt matter.

Quote:

The most impressive athlete after one practice is 19-year-old defensive tackle Amobi Okoye from Louisville. The first thing that jumped out at me during his pass-rush drills and the 9-on-7 live running game drill was his explosive quickness and excellent technique. It's hard to comprehend that a kid only 19 years old is graduating from college and looks like the next Warren Sapp. Okoye is 6-foot-2 and 312 pounds with the legs of a running back. New Tampa Bay defensive line coach Larry Coyer could hardly contain his emotions coaching the teen-ager no one could block.

There is no substitute for evaluating football players in pads working against each other. I'll be here most of the week on the field, up close and personal with the Class of 2007.

Black@Gold Forever32 01-28-2007 04:05 AM

Re: 19 year old to be a 1st round pick?

I think not only a first round pick but Okoye should get drafted in the first 15 picks if not sooner. This kid is intelligent since he first started college at age 16 and did graduate. He has a great work ethic and seems to have any character flaws. Plus Okoye tore up the practice this week at the Senior Bowl and he dominate in the Senior Bowl game.

I also don't think this kid is done filling out his frame. I think Amobi Okoye is going to be a very good player in the NFL and his future is bright.

Elvis 01-28-2007 05:48 AM

:tt02: I could see him wearing #92 rushing the passer in Black N Gold couldnt you? He looks awesome to me. This is a very important draft for the Steelers and Tomlin this year. Dont you agree?:wave:

Dylan 02-14-2007 01:15 PM

Okoye would be a great pick for us. By the time he blossoms into an elite player he will still be very young

Hines0wnz 02-27-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 (Post 212251)
:tt02: I could see him wearing #92 rushing the passer in Black N Gold couldnt you? He looks awesome to me. This is a very important draft for the Steelers and Tomlin this year. Dont you agree?:wave:

Its a pipedream to be honest with you.

lilyoder6 02-27-2007 08:24 PM

i still can't get over that he is only 19 and that he is intelligent and is an elite player at a very young age..

polamalufan43 02-28-2007 03:09 PM

Well, some players are just born that way. Either that or they work hard and develop into a serious talent.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

PhillyBallHawks 03-03-2007 09:18 PM

I think that's really cool. He's got a chance to have a long, successfull NFL career. His first game will come when he's 20. Unbelievable.

CStout 03-08-2007 07:52 PM

very smart kid

GBMelBlount 03-10-2007 10:01 PM

Sounds like a great draft pick. Reminds me of when my little league, Trumbull Ct, kicked the crap out of the Taiwanese "12 year olds" in the little league world series in the 80's.