Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Draft/FA ... Tomlin (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=14581)

paw-n-maul-u 01-28-2007 05:45 PM

Draft/FA ... Tomlin

Anyone have opinions on this years offseason with the draft and FA, and how the Tomlin hiring could effect both? I think we might see a little more involvement in FA for Tomlin to get some of the players for his system, as well as draft for the 4-3 in the future.

... thoughts?

PisnNapalm 01-28-2007 06:39 PM

Re: Draft/FA ... Tomlin

We don't have much cap room to work with as far as FAs go.

fansince'76 01-28-2007 06:56 PM

Agreed - we don't have alot of wiggle room with the cap. Even if we did, the Rooneys still control the pursestrings and Tomlin's hiring didn't change that. That being said, we've never been a major player in FA. The draft should be interesting, though.

coachspeak33 01-29-2007 08:38 AM

Tomlin has made mention of establishing a dominate running game nearly every time he speaks.... if that holds true he better get a RB in here

No disrespect to Willie....cause i love him....but the group of he, Najeh, and Verron....that group collectively just aint gonna create a dominate running game.....PERIOD

Hines0wnz 01-29-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachspeak33 (Post 212494)
Tomlin has made mention of establishing a dominate running game nearly every time he speaks.... if that holds true he better get a RB in here

No disrespect to Willie....cause i love him....but the group of he, Najeh, and Verron....that group collectively just aint gonna create a dominate running game.....PERIOD

Yeah, back-to-back 1000yds+ season just doesnt cut it. :jerkit:

Donnie Iris 01-29-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachspeak33 (Post 212494)

We have a running back named Willie Parker. What we need is consistent O-Line play.

I'm all for a compliment back for Parker, but the running game starts with the O-Line. If they play well, Willie could eventually put up 2K in a season.

coachspeak33 01-29-2007 12:39 PM

as i said before ..... i love willie..... but look around people..... most of the successful teams in the NFL have two quality RB's ...... We only have 1....

the No 2 RB can not only be a change of pace but can also serve as insurance in case something were to happen to Willie for a week or two

SteelerFanInCA 01-29-2007 12:41 PM

I can see both points. Our O line plays definitely needs to step up and we definitley need some type of backup insurance to Willie.

coachspeak33 01-30-2007 08:16 AM

thank you steelerfaninCa.... i have been saying that all season....and all i hear is how great willie is.... and i am like, "yeah i know but he is human...he could get hurt, his productivity could slip, hell, he could get fatigued."

Insurance is what it is....something you have to have and hope to god you never HAVE to use

DACEB 01-30-2007 09:08 AM

Not only insurance coachspeak, but someone to share the pounding late in the game when you try to run the ball to kill clock and hold the lead. A back takes a pounding late in the game when everyone knows you're going to run the ball, and it's nice to have someone with fresh legs as well. As much as we all like to run the ball you absolutely need two backs. Najeh performed well and helped us in the return game as well, but as I and others have stated he does'nt run as big as his size. We need a change of pace bruiser.