Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Parker v. Staley (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1515)

SteelersWyo 08-20-2005 09:16 AM

Parker v. Staley

From what I've seen last year and this the Steelers need to get the ball in the hands of Willie Parker. Staley is unimpressive and usually injured. Bettis, Haynes, and Parker can easily carry the load. A side note. I went to the Hall of Fame ceremony this month to see Marino get inducted and got to meet Franco Harris. Was that awesome!

BlitzburghRockCity 08-20-2005 10:04 AM

Re: Parker v. Staley

Staley and Parker are 2 different running backs..2 different styles..we need them both. Staley runs hard, runs over and thru the defenders, he like Jerome, can get you that gotta have it 3rd and short to run out the clock... Parker is the game breaker in terms of his speed, give him swing pass, screen or draw and he'll blow right by everybody like they are sitting still.

Remember, Staley was leading the team in rushing till he went down w/ injury, he was a big part of us getting off to a fast start in the season, and a big part towards the end when he got healthy again.

Stlrs4Life 08-20-2005 11:12 AM

Agree with Blitzburgh. I am also a big Parker fan. But we haven't seen enough of him yet. It would be intereting to see him with the first team. I was at that Buffalo game last season for his big day, what a thrill it was to see him.

BlitzburghRockCity 08-20-2005 11:15 AM

The thing we all want to see too is.. will Parker turn into another Amos Z ? Remember Amos was making all kinds of waves in training camp and in the preseason as a good player for screen, swing passes, etc..and was a good compliment to Bettis..but when it came time and he got his chance to strut his stuff, he pretty much fell flat on his face. He ran w/ no power, couldnt make the play the majority of the time, and just generally didnt appear to be up for the challenge.

Parker is alot faster obviously, and appear to run w/ alittle more power than amos, even considering his size. So we'll see. I like Willie alot, and look forward to him doing big things for us this year.

SteelProven 08-20-2005 11:25 AM

Don't get me wrong I like Parker a lot but I don't think he's a every down back. He makes a great 3rd down back and a possible change of pace back. He would be good filling in for a few games but not the entire season. The typical Steeler back is 5'9-6'2 225-250 lbs. The steelers do way to much running between the tackles for a 200-220 back. Now I'm not saying that they couldn't do it, I feel they'll just break down a lot faster becuz of there lack of weight. I mean if J. Bettis started wearing down and he 250lbs what would happen to a back 30-50 lbs less than him. But I would never place my offensive running game on the back of Parker, unless we had a power back to compliment him.

steelparrot 08-20-2005 03:22 PM

Staley unimpresive? I don't think so. Last year, before his injury, he was on pace for a pro-bowl year. I will agree with you though that the constant injuries are ridiculous, but if he could ever be healthy for 16 games, watch out.

slashsteel 08-20-2005 04:52 PM

I agree Parrot but that is a very big IF

Bamataco1 08-20-2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelparrot
Staley unimpresive? I don't think so. Last year, before his injury, he was on pace for a pro-bowl year. I will agree with you though that the constant injuries are ridiculous, but if he could ever be healthy for 16 games, watch out.

The problem here is that like Bettis, Duce is getting old. And old running backs usually spend most of thier time injured. I felt right from the time that we picked up Duce that it was a mistake given what he is being paid. He might have been a good pick up for the veteran minimum but not for what he is being paid.

BlitzburghRockCity 08-21-2005 12:55 AM

We could never have gotten duce for the vet. minimum. He's a solid back and has much less wear on him than a guy who's been in the league for 8 years. We need Duce to help out and we need his experience. His contract is very cap friendly after getting the signing bonus he's not hurting us that much to keep him or cut him really.

SteelZeal 08-21-2005 01:40 AM

Staley notwithstanding, we do need to give Willie the ball more this year, and I'm talking about doing it in key situations. Not just garbage time. Willie is the only RB we have that can break off a 50-yard run at any given time. It seems obvious because it is. Get him the rock more often.

As far as the comparison to Zereoue, Blitzburgh, I see where you might be concerned. It is kind of a "been there, done that" thing from that standpoint. But the difference is that Willie is hitting holes and sprinting. Amos didn't "hit" holes all that often. He was much more likely to find a hole, dance around, try to find another hole, and go down with a one-yard gain. Perhaps visions of Barry Sanders danced around his mind as he danced in and out of holes. I haven't really seen that from Willie yet, and hopefully, I won't.

Amos looked for the big run before he got back to the line of scrimmage. Willie just runs and if it turns into a big run, well, nothing wrong with that.