Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   New Arena Discussion (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15453)

Counselor 03-05-2007 04:37 PM

New Arena Discussion

The latest on the new arena:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

I truly do not understand why this cannot be ironed out. The politicians need to quit talking out of their behinds and get something done.

The fact is, with or without the Pens, Pittsburgh is in need of a new "all purpose" venue---we lose tons of concerts and other events every year because Mellon Arena is old and outdated. If we keep the Pens it'll be a whole lot easier ot pay for such a venue and better for the all around economy of the city.

If Pittsburgh becomes a one sport town (I don't count the Pirates) it'll be one more sign of our decline into mediocrity as a city. Certainly it is proof of the lack of vision in the region and I am disturbed.

Prosdo 03-05-2007 04:42 PM

Re: New Arena chances looking bleak again

Counselor well said. This arena will not just benefit the Penguins. With a new up to date arena we can start bringing in more concerts and other shows. It is hard to understand why the PA government has not reached a deal by now. Mario seems to be willing to work. Hopefully this is Mario applying pressure to the government and the lawmakers finally agree to a deal. I mean for christ sakes agreeing to this deal is win win all around.

Godfather 03-05-2007 05:00 PM

Fat Eddie is a moron. I wouldn't even trade Haley Barbour for him.

Borski 03-05-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Counselor (Post 224841)
The latest on the new arena:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

I truly do not understand why this cannot be ironed out. The politicians need to quit talking out of their behinds and get something done.

The fact is, with or without the Pens, Pittsburgh is in need of a new "all purpose" venue---we lose tons of concerts and other events every year because Mellon Arena is old and outdated. If we keep the Pens it'll be a whole lot easier ot pay for such a venue and better for the all around economy of the city.

If Pittsburgh becomes a one sport town (I don't count the Pirates) it'll be one more sign of our decline into mediocrity as a city. Certainly it is proof of the lack of vision in the region and I am disturbed.

they really need to make a better effort to keep the Pens.

Pittsburgh needs to stay a 3 sport town, Pirates included, they are and always will be part of this town. While the Pirates might not me a great team now doesn't make them not part of this town.

SteelCityMan786 03-05-2007 05:12 PM

I say we RIOT RENDELL'S OFFICE!

Counselor 03-05-2007 05:20 PM

I shouldn't have said that about the Pirates--you are right, they should always be a part of the city. I am just angry about a lot of things regarding baseball---from the league making no effort to keep mid/small markets competative--- to the Pirates ownership/FO doing little to help its own cause of competativeness, knowing Pirates fans will buy tix anyway. But that is a discussion for another thread since they got their ballpark already.

Back to the Pens: Clearly Ed Rendell cares nothing for the west half of the state, and the local politicans around here need to figure out how to get this arena deal done without much held or leadership from him---because if they don't, they will lose their jobs.

Prosdo 03-05-2007 05:35 PM

Onorato said he is going to try and contact the Pens or something to that extent. Let's see how this goes.....

SteelCityMan786 03-05-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Counselor (Post 224858)
I shouldn't have said that about the Pirates--you are right, they should always be a part of the city. I am just angry about a lot of things regarding baseball---from the league making no effort to keep mid/small markets competative--- to the Pirates ownership/FO doing little to help its own cause of competativeness, knowing Pirates fans will buy tix anyway. But that is a discussion for another thread since they got their ballpark already.

Back to the Pens: Clearly Ed Rendell cares nothing for the west half of the state, and the local politicans around here need to figure out how to get this arena deal done without much held or leadership from him---because if they don't, they will lose their jobs.

Yep. And in 2010, we can make up for an idiotic mistake. I'll be part of that group of voters that send the idiotic Democrat(Rendell) out of office.

83-Steelers-43 03-05-2007 05:53 PM

First it was the $10 million dollar hole that the Penguins put themselves in with IOC. Now they want the goverment officials to pay for over-run costs which is understandable. The Steelers and Pirates never had to pay for over-run costs.

Which get's back to what I've been saying, both sides are being unreasonable.

polamalufan43 03-05-2007 06:01 PM

I really hope they come to an agreement soon. Hopfully one that invovles the Pens staying here.

~Polamalufan43:tt02: