Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Think about this. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15625)

Jeremy 03-13-2007 12:55 PM

Think about this.

The new arena is going to give the city the ability to host several high profile events.

Women's college basketball Final Four

Men's college basketball regional final.

NCAA Frozen Four.

NCAA hockey invitationals.

PIAA boys and girls basketball finals.

PIAA wrestling championships.

Plus we just became a prime candidate for a new arena league team and a possible NBA D-League team.

This is going to a huge windfall for the city.

HometownGal 03-13-2007 01:23 PM

Re: Think about this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy (Post 227662)
The new arena is going to give the city the ability to host several high profile events.

NCAA Frozen Four.

Plus we just became a prime candidate for a new arena league team and a possible NBA D-League team.

Absolutely, as well as attracting some high-profile musicians and groups to play to higher capacity croweds! I'd love to have an arena team here. As long as World Team Tennis doesn't make a re-appearance in the Burgh, it's all good. :yuck:

Edman 03-13-2007 01:54 PM

Let's not forget the possibilities of how much uptown and downtown is going to change. See all of those dumpy old houses in the Uptown area? We might say goodbye to those and turn them into parking lots for our new arena. Thanks to it's attractive look and the factors you mentioned, businesses and restaurants may flock back to the Downtown area for games and fans, which has been pretty quiet as of late. Let's not forget the possibility of new housing projects in the area. Wishful thinking of course.

So many good things can come from this new arena. It just might be what Pittsburgh finally needed. Heinz Field and PNC Park revived the North Shore, the new arena just may do the same to Downtown in general.

Thank you so much Mario Lemieux and Ron B. for keeping the exciting Penguins in Pittsburgh and have the godly patience for getting this arena deal done. I was high on him already, but Luke Ravenstahl has my FULL support now for mayor. I'm so stoked. Pittsburgh just may have been revitalized starting today.

Indy_Steelers 03-13-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal (Post 227665)
Absolutely, as well as attracting some high-profile musicians and groups to play to higher capacity crowds! I'd love to have an arena team here.

Picksburgh used to have one a while back. Called the Maulers I think. They moved to Florida. Not living in the Burgh I assumed that full-sized football was too much for the little arena team. But I would be a fan of that. I would give me more of a reason to visit the Burgh in the spring.

Jeremy 03-13-2007 02:45 PM

They were called the Pittsburgh Gladiators

The Maulers were the USFL team.

PisnNapalm 03-13-2007 04:33 PM

Re: They were called the Pittsburgh Gladiators

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy (Post 227687)

Yup.

As a kid I loved to go down the the Civic Arena and watch the Spirit play indoor soccer.

polamalufan43 03-13-2007 04:36 PM

Well, this is showing a bright future and in some ways, a not so bright one. We have a new area, WOOT WOOT, this means that Pittsburgh is further modifying itself, which can be a good thing as long as we keep our history and some of the older buildings around. They are part of our history.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Indy_Steelers 03-13-2007 07:32 PM

Re: They were called the Pittsburgh Gladiators

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy (Post 227687)

You are correct sir and thanks for the correction.
The Gladiators were the AFL team and one of the original AFL teams as well.
They are now the Tampa Bay Storm.

SteelCityMan786 03-13-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy (Post 227662)

NCAA Frozen Four.

Ahhh all of this coming to the City of Pittsburgh.

BRILLIANT!

Jeremy 03-14-2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 (Post 227813)
Ahhh all of this coming to the City of Pittsburgh.

BRILLIANT!

I wouldn't bet on all of it coming the city. But it's a good bet that we get a couple of those events. My money would be on at least a women's regional final and maybe the Frozen Four plus the AFL team.