Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   #1 pick should be a WR... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16192)

steelcity58 04-10-2007 09:32 PM

#1 pick should be a WR...

Either by trade or draft...the Steelers need to quit looking at 5'11 198 lb running backs,
and get a good sized, (6'0...6'2..190-210) WR...without the cornrow thug attitude
of Plaxico.

You could tell Ben missed the security of Plaxico...since alot of Ben's plays are improv'd
and duh...not practiced throwing routes and timing all the time.

He needs a target for when he needs to fly by the seat of the pants.

Don't need another Holmes...who relies on his niftyness and runs routes...but offers little
else.

TE's are too scarce to get a good one...one better than they already have anyway.

GBMelBlount 04-10-2007 09:45 PM

Re: #1 pick should be a WR...

Your right, with how solid our o-line is? we need another 1st round pick in addition to Santonio (worht the trade up?) and Heath "Glorified Blocker" Miller. Actually I am kidding. Receivers much bett4er in draft this year! But I wouod think more likely mid/ later round. I thik we have much greater needs O-line, maybe LB, DE, outside pick maybe at CB & many have put RB before WR. Could we improve WR yes, not high on my list. Regardless of our need SC58, good points.

tony hipchest 04-10-2007 10:06 PM

i said it once and i'll say it again-

do you really want one in the 1st round?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ighlight=round

lamberts-lost-tooth 04-10-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 236244)
i said it once and i'll say it again-

do you really want one in the 1st round?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ighlight=round

Nope.....nuff said

ChronoCross 04-10-2007 11:02 PM

nope..

Borski 04-10-2007 11:02 PM

there are much higher needs then WR or RB that need to be addressed

Zachygrahm 04-11-2007 12:29 AM

Not only are there much more pressing needs than WR, people overrate the value of having a "big" WR. When was the last time a team won the super bowl with a "big" WR? maybe the bucs in 02 with keyshawn, prior to that you could say rod smith on the broncos, and maybe before that you would have to go all the way back to micheal irvin.
Irvin was arguably the only "big" WR you could actually have considered a major factor in the games that were played. Has TO ever won a championship? Randy Moss? Plaxico Burress? The jags have nothing but "big" wideouts, looks like that is working out for them really well. The most effective WR's in this league are the ones who understand routes, run them crisply and have the speed burst to create seperation after the cuts. i.e. Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Deion Branch, Torry Holt, Terry Glenn, and soon to be on this list is Santonio Holmes. Holmes fits the exact mold of wideout that we need. Arians knew that, and I would assume that he was pivotal in the choice. In the final game of the season, against the bengals, holmes made the winning catch on a short slant. He saw the seam, created the seperation and sprinted 67 yards to the endzone. Plax could never have done that. As far as Ben missing Plax, statistically he was better in '05 w/o Plax than in '04 with Plax. Hines is 5'11 and Randle el is 5'9".

Steel Pit 04-11-2007 05:47 AM

I don't want to see the Steelers waste a 1st round pick on a WR. As you will see from the list that I've compiled below, the Steelers have gotten the most production from WR's taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft. If I've missed anyone then they were not drafted by the Steelers therefore proving all the more that a 1st round WR pick is a wasted pick.

Now of course Lynn Swann is most likely the best WR in Steelers history and he was taken in the 1st round but that was a no-brainer pick. The guy was a college all american.

1st round wr's drafted by the Steelers.

1. Lynn Swann 1974

2. Louis Lipps 1984-He was good but worthy of a 1st round pick?

3. Charles Johnson 1994 WRONG ANSWER

4. Troy Edwards 1999 I don't freaking think so.

5. Plaxico Burress 2000, well in my opinion Burress only had one good season with us.

2nd round wr's drafted by the Steelers.

1. Jeff Graham 1991, BUST, BUST, BUST!

2. Will Blackwell 1997, never did measure up to being worthy of even a 4th rounder.

3. Antwaan Randle El 2002, nice pick.

3rd round wr's drafted by the Steelers.

1. Jim Smith 1977, great wr overshawdowed by 2 HOF wr's.

2. Ernie Mills 1991, tough little wr who was very productive for the Steelers.

3. Andre Hastings 1993, with a victory in Super Bowl XXX he would have been the MVP.

4. HINES WARD 1998, enough said.

4th round wr's drafted by the Steelers.

1. John Stallworth 1974, HALL OF FAME!

2. Theo Bell 1976, played well behind Swann, Stallworth and Smith.

3. Calvin Sweeny 1979, came alive in the early 80's but Lipps eventually took over.

4. Yancey Thigpen, was drafted in the 4th round by the Chargers in 1991. The Steelers aquired him as a free agent.

polamalufan43 04-11-2007 05:48 AM

Honestly, I don't think really need to draft a WR that soon. We have bigger needs.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

abgroove 04-11-2007 06:24 AM

Unless that WR is Calvin Johnson, we can pass on WR's for the entire draft.